Quinns defense in Super Bowl year

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
he was the HC not the DC and? hes also been employed in the NFKL for how long? those saying this was anot good hire might want to look around..

what Was the WFT offense ranked last year as they had great defense and went 7-9

shows you need some balance , cant win without all phases in sync..

was there a magic bow on the coach we were suppose to hire, who was this magical unicorn sine we know now its not Quinn?
Exactly.

Another way to look at it is, yeah, that Atlanta defense struggled in the regular season, but Quinn had them ready to go in the playoffs. They held Seattle to 309 total yards and 20 points and GB to 367 yds and 21 points, then held NE to 3 points in the first half of the superbowl.

dwmyers

Reaction score
I'm reading this and going OMG. So messed up.

Nolan was not a DC under Dan Quinn. He was a DC under Mike Smith.

For most of Dan's stay in Atlanta, he had a defensive coordinator (Richard Smith, Marquand Manual, himself, Raheem Morris). There was one 9 game stretch in 2019 where he was DC and HC and that was probably Arthur Blank's doing. That stretch was horrible. Raheem Morris switched from an offensive coach to defense to become de facto DC and Atlanta started winning games.

Dan had a decent defense by 2018. His defense was ranked #8 in PA. But it relied heavily on Deion Jones and Keanu Neal, and both were injured the next year. The defense then collapsed.

Dan was clearly not hired because of his overall defensive track record in Atlanta. If Bucky Brooks and Brian Broaddus are to be believed, he was hired because he was seen as a teacher,
and someone who with little coaching or preseason could turn the defense into something middle of the road quickly.

My suspicion is that McCarthy's connection with Joe Whitt led to Q being hired. And part is that the last "good" defense we had was playing a DQ style cover 3.

Purely on the basis of Atlanta performance, we should have hired Raheem Morris as our DC. I said as much, repeatedly. But we did not.

D-

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
IMO, the greatest D coordinator on Earth is waiting for that phone call

fabbab7cd00851e288d3523a8725926f_xl.jpg

Might be awkward for Jerry, or even you don’t want to go to the 3-4. But his track record is genuinely unbelievable
Wouldn't call him the greatest but I think we can agree on damn good. I actually know the guy somewhat as we went to the same HS and am a fan of his. BTW he has a good book out worth reading. "Son of Bum"

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It is about execution always, which is why saying he only had success in Seattle because he had talent is bogus, no it's not about x's and o's on defense it's how you play as a unit. If he can lead like he did in Seattle, t he last time his full focus will be on defense, this defense should be fine, it doesnt have to be great, average is all it needs to be.

I think that is what the FO is counting on. But i would still feel comfortable if they supplied him with as much talent on this draft as they can. CB, LB, DT, FS... .first three rounds.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think that is what the FO is counting on. But i would still feel comfortable if they supplied him with as much talent on this draft as they can. CB, LB, DT, FS... .first three rounds.

Yep, they should bring in defense in this draft, but I thought they should've went after at least 1 high level free agent and mid level proven free agent, instead of relying on cheap unproven talent (rookies and and cheap free agents).
but I do think there's a chance we can be average this year with the blueprint they're using, I'm just not a huge fan of it.

Prossman

Reaction score
Never understood the whole Quinn savior thing. Looks like he is as good as his talent on the field.
They all Are. In Atalnta they gave less resources to their defense that we do. Quinn Has to have something to work with

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why Quinn? How many possibilities were out there for us to get?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The biggest factor in any team's (and/or any DC's) favor is the overall talent at hand to promote the most success humanly possible. Of course, this always includes the coaches, as well. Let's hope a good combination of these things in 2021 will maximize our chances of winning. Having ten draft picks to reach that goal should serve us well if simply making good choices rules the day. ;)

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow. Talk about poor use of statistics. Quinn was the DC of the seahawks for 2 seasons and they ranked #1 in the NFL both seasons. He goes to Atlanta and leads them to a super bowl. Living in Atlanta, I can tell you the falcons problem was not Dan Quinn. He had horrific luck with injuries on defense and Demtrioff made a lot of bone head personnel moves. Quinn should be the best defensive coach this team has seen since Parcels left.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Its almost the same arguments seen here when Garrett was here, offense stinks it up its garretts fault, offense does awesome, great job whoever the OC was at the time.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Wow. Talk about poor use of statistics. Quinn was the DC of the seahawks for 2 seasons and they ranked #1 in the NFL both seasons. He goes to Atlanta and leads them to a super bowl. Living in Atlanta, I can tell you the falcons problem was not Dan Quinn. He had horrific luck with injuries on defense and Demtrioff made a lot of bone head personnel moves. Quinn should be the best defensive coach this team has seen since Parcels left.
I already brought up Quinns seattle success with his hall of famers. What does that have to do with dallas and atlanta? Name the hall of famers on those teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
The ironies of that 2016 season: Falcons scored 540 pts - 7 TDs better than 2nd place Saints (469); Patriots were 3rd with 441; the Cowboys were 5th with 421. However, NE defense was 1st in pts allowed with 250; the Cowboys were 5th, giving up 306 - which was 100 points lower than the Falcons.
Even with Atlanta dominating Seattle in their wildcard game....would they have come into AT&T Stadium and continued their run had Dallas held on against Green Bay?
Hmph

I think so. I think Atlanta would probably have scored on every possession. Dallas didn't have a good defense. They were hidden by ball control offense.