"How Bout Them Cowboys" Origin?

CoCo

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure who created that expression and when?

I always figured it was started by Jimmy Johnson during that 1992 season but don't know for sure.

Help?

Bizwah

Reaction score
CoCo;1562454 said:

I always figured it was started by Jimmy Johnson during that 1992 season but don't know for sure.

Help?

I always thought it was a Peter King thing that JJ borrowed.

But that was fifteen years ago.....I've slept since then.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CoCo;1562454 said:

Help?
Jimmy Johnson after the NFC championship game against the 49ers in 1992. "I think"

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It's what Jimmy yelled in the locker-room after the 1992 NFC Championship Game in Frisco.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
And actually, I'm pretty sure I read that Jimmy first did that at Oklahoma State...

Randy White

Reaction score
about that.

Me thinks it originated with Dandy Don Meredith when he was in the broadcast booth.

I could probably swear to that.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy White;1562468 said:
about that.

Me thinks it originated with Dandy Don Meredith when he was in the broadcast booth.

I could probably swear to that.

Ya, I think many assume it was Jimmy Johnson, but I t'aint so sure.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Doesn't matter where it started I just want to be yelling it on Feb 3rd in Glendale AZ right after the clock tics down to 0:00!

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
bbgun;1562462 said:
It's what Jimmy yelled in the locker-room after the 1992 NFC Championship Game in Frisco.

That's the first time I ever remember hearing it, and I've been watching since the mid 60's.

WarC

Reaction score
It always seemed when Jimmy Johnson said it, like he was referring to a past comment or quote. Like it was an inside team locker joke or a reference to a beat writer's article or sports casters on-air comments...

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
It received the most attention after Johnson's team won the '92 NFC Championship when he stood up on a podium and shouted it in their locker room, however, the phrase was used as the common theme throughout the '92 regular season.

As far as the origin of the phrase "How 'bout them Cowboys?!!", I, too, believe credit goes to Meredith during his MNF stint.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Draegerman;1562528 said:
It received the most attention after Johnson's team won the '92 NFC Championship when he stood up on a podium and shouted it in their locker room, however, the phrase was used as the common theme throughout the '92 regular season.

As far as the origin of the phrase "How 'bout them Cowboys?!!", I, too, believe credit goes to Meredith during his MNF stint.

That is the way I remember it, too. The phrase was going on before that championship game. That is why he paused before yelling it. Everyone knew it was coming.

Angus

Reaction score
NFC: Dallas Cowboys 30, San Francisco 49ers 20
1 2 3 4 Total
Cowboys 3 7 7 13 30
49ers 7 3 3 7 20

at Candlestick Park, San Francisco

* Game time: 4:00 p.m. EST/1:00 p.m. PST
* Game weather: 54 ̊F (Partly cloudy, occasional rain)
* TV announcers (CBS): Pat Summerall and John Madden
* Referee: Jerry Markbreit
* Game Attendance: 64,920

Even though the Cowboys had only 1 more yard of total offense than the 49ers (416 to 415), Dallas forced 4 critical turnovers that led to 10 points. On San Francisco's first drive of the game, a holding penalty on offensive lineman Guy McIntyre nullified a 63-yard touchdown completion from quarterback Steve Young to wide receiver Jerry Rice. The two teams would slug it out through most of the first half, and the game was eventually tied at halftime, 10-10. However, all of the Cowboys' points were the result of turnovers by the 49ers. Their first touchdown came gift-wrapped courtesy of a muffed punt by San Francisco punt returner Alan Grant.

After receiving the second half kickoff, the Cowboys marched 78 yards to score on running back Daryl Johnston's 3-yard touchdown run to take a 17-10 lead. The 49ers responded with kicker Mike Cofer's 42-yard field goal. However, Dallas put together a 79-yard drive that took nine minutes off the clock. This second long drive was capped by quarterback Troy Aikman's 16-yard touchdown pass to running back Emmitt Smith, giving the Cowboys a 24-13 advantage.

Midway through the final period, Cowboys linebacker Ken Norton Jr intercepted a pass from Young and returned it to the 49ers 45-yard line, and Dallas subsequently marched to the 7. Rather than attempt a field goal on fourth down and one, Smith attempted to run for the first down, but was stopped for no gain. The 49ers then drove 93 yards to score on Rice's 5-yard touchdown reception, cutting the lead 24-20 with 4:22 left in the game. But on the first play after the ensuing kickoff, Aikman threw a 14-yard pass to wide receiver Alvin Harper, who ended up running for a 70-yard gain to the San Francisco 9-yard line. Three plays later, wide receiver Kelvin Martin scored on a 6-yard touchdown reception, making it 30-20 (the extra point was blocked) with 3:43 to play. The 49ers attempted one last drive to come back, but Young was intercepted once again, this time by cornerback James Washington.

Aikman threw for 322 yards and 2 touchdowns with no interceptions. Smith rushed for 114 yards, caught 2 passes for 59 yards, and scored 2 touchdowns. Harper caught 3 passes for 117 yards. Defensive tackle Tony Casillas recorded 3 sacks. Meanwhile, Young recorded 313 passing yards and one touchdown, but threw two interceptions in the fourth quarter. Rice caught 8 passes for 123 yards and a score. Following the game, Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson closed his postgame speech to his team by screaming, "How 'bout them Cowboys!" This line has become synonymous with him ever since.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1992-93

joseephuss

Reaction score
Angus;1562668 said:
Following the game, Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson closed his postgame speech to his team by screaming, "How 'bout them Cowboys!" This line has become synonymous with him ever since.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs,_1992-93

I agree that Jimmy is synonymous with that phrase, but it started before that moment. I think there were already shirts and signs with that phrase before that game. I remember hearing it before the 1992 NFL championship game, but not the precise moment.

Bizwah

Reaction score
joseephuss;1562729 said:
I agree that Jimmy is synonymous with that phrase, but it started before that moment. I think there were already shirts and signs with that phrase before that game. I remember hearing it before the 1992 NFL championship game, but not the precise moment.

I agree.

I remember Peter King writing a story on the Cowboys and using that line.

I don't know if he "coined" the phrase, but he's the one I remember using it first that year.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
joseephuss;1562729 said:

So.... some posters haven't been watching the great, great "America's Game" series on NFL channel.

The Cowboy's highlighted SuperBowl Run of the 1992 season was on at least twice during the offseason. The JJ post game speech in SF with the "How bout them Cowboys" was certainly a highlight. Jimmy became famous for it.

For those who might want to nit-pick "How Bout them Dawgs" was being used by Georgia fans in '92 and Jimmy stole it, but his use of it in the lockerroom in SF after the 1992 NFC Championship made it the Cowboys own after that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NorthDalal;1562777 said:
...For those who might want to nit-pick "How Bout them Dawgs" was being used by Georgia fans in '92 and Jimmy stole it, but his use of it in the lockerroom in SF after the 1992 NFC Championship made it the Cowboys own after that.

That phrase had been circulating re: the Cowboys that entire '92 season, and wasn't borrowed from the Georgia Bulldogs.