R1 Grade: B-

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jterrell, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

23,010 Messages
    16,567 Likes Received
    Well, to be fair, the talking heads compared him to Jaylon, pre injury. I’m not making that comparison, so don’t kill the messenger.

jterrell likes this.
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

18,442 Messages
    17,774 Likes Received
    Parsons was good value. I hate trading within the division, especially when it gives an opponent an elite talent to attack your highest weakness, but picking up a third sells it.

I know Stephen said they don't expect to move up, but I think they'd be foolish not to focus their intent on two guys early in the second and make the moves to get there. This defense doesn't just need bodies. It needs talent.

jterrell likes this.
  3. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

18,457 Messages
    16,227 Likes Received
    Instincts to me aren’t taught
    Experience will improve some reaction time but to me I’ve watched him a lot and I think he has the instincts just not the experience to diagnose as quickly as he will in time
    I think had we not got a starter quality LB we would have used the 5th year option
    That’s why they waited instead of just saying no

4. Redsfan_83

Redsfan_83 Well-Known Member

965 Messages
    800 Likes Received
    yeah but can Micah swipe to the left in 2.4 secones? NOPE!

5. conner01

18,457 Messages
    16,227 Likes Received
    I get not moving up in first but here on out I’m going to get my guy
    We don’t need 11 players and if we pick 10 or 11 players we missed a great opportunity

Doomsday and texbumthelife like this.
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

56,814 Messages
    59,531 Likes Received
    I just have a problem drafting a linebacker in 2021 to do the most important thing a linebacker in 2021 needs to be good at.

Coach up a 5th rounder to get good at pass defense but not your first round pick.

When we selected LVE I loved that pick because on tape he could cover like a DB. This is not the case with this guy. His strengths are the same things Jaylon is good at.

Jaylon Smith for all that is wrong with him can blitz at a high level and run sideline to sideline.

7. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

4,121 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I'm a messenger too without an agenda

8. Starforever

Starforever Well-Known Member

3,484 Messages
    2,074 Likes Received
    What injury concerns do you have with Parsons?

9. texbumthelife

18,442 Messages
    17,774 Likes Received
    Exactly my thoughts.

10. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

17,599 Messages
    11,947 Likes Received
    To be fair the comparisons to Jaylon were ND Jaylon, not NFL Jaylon. Those are 2 different players.

I think Parsons is more aggressive and much better and penetrating. I doubt all his tackles are going to be 10 yards downfield.

11. texbumthelife

18,442 Messages
    17,774 Likes Received
    Jaylon Smith is a terrible blitzer. I'm so tired of hearing this. His win rate/pressure rate on blitzes is atrocious.

mrmojo and Doomsday like this.
  12. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

25,378 Messages
    23,940 Likes Received
    You'd have a problem with them drafting anyone who are you kidding. You do it every year. You do it every time the Cowboys do anything. You're only fooling yourself with your excuses.

13. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

4,411 Messages
    3,798 Likes Received
    you dont think jaylon past 2018 has gotten worse? lets not talk tackle numbers. Those are stats that dont say much to me LB should have those type numbers and his our 5 yards downfield but he has good straight line speed and thats it. if he has a bad recognition of a play his ability to change direction is awful. Now I get that one of parsons negatives is he is susceptible to run fake but he comes in better than BOTH OF OUR current LBs

I guess well see if my optimism is misplace but we need help at all 3 levels and i think the LB level was our worst level. Joe Thomas has been our best LB for 2 years IMO. (certainly last year).

14. nate dizzle

nate dizzle Well-Known Member

2,637 Messages
    3,983 Likes Received
    Solid A. Would have preferred Horn or Surtain but when they were gone it was a slam dunk to move back 2 spots to pick up a free 3rd round pick and still get who many consider the top defensive prospect in the draft. Especially when there was no way we were going to prevent Smith from becoming either a Giant or an Eagle other than taking him ourselves, which would have been ridiculous. Eagles likely kicking themselves this morning realizing they could have stayed put and still gotten Smith (Giants are pretty set at WR with Golladay and Ross). Ripping off a division rival is just a cherry on top of the Parsons pick.

waving monkey likes this.
  15. conner01

18,457 Messages
    16,227 Likes Received
    If it was me doing this thing we’d end up with probably 5 guys
    But they’d be the guys we want
    I’d fill out the roster with UDFA

texbumthelife likes this.
  16. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

14,618 Messages
    14,079 Likes Received
    Most of us did but credit to FO for making an intelligent call.

jterrell likes this.
  17. texbumthelife

18,442 Messages
    17,774 Likes Received
    If it was me, this team would have no day 3 picks. In fact, I'd even move day 3 picks next year. I want to come out of this draft with 5-6 guys I am 100% sold can contribute. Third day picks will not move the needle.

conner01 likes this.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

30,326 Messages
    12,395 Likes Received
    Problem was the Cowboys LB2 Collins went pick 16. Then Jamin Davis went at 19
    In that scenario they'd be reaching bad for LB4 having traded just below a LB run.

I REALLY wish they could have gotten the Pats ot give up the R2 and come get a QB but this was a solid fallback option.

19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

30,326 Messages
    12,395 Likes Received
    Smith was going in the division either way.
    Philly honestly bailed Dallas out here.
    NYG was targeting WR too so DAL got a free R3 for selecting exact guy they would have at 10 had they remained.

My only preference would have been to get NE to come up and get Fields giving us 15 and 46.

nate dizzle likes this.
  20. texbumthelife

18,442 Messages
    17,774 Likes Received
    Oh, I'm not saying they really had a better option. I'm just saying that's a tough one to swallow on the surface. However, getting that extra third makes it palpable.

Now they need to use that to move up/get an additional second and add talent in the meat of this draft. If they sit back and/or trade back again it will just further underscore how casual they are in player acquisition.

jterrell likes this.