R1 Grade: B-

Verdict

Reaction score
I already saw it, I posted it.

The plays Parsons make, Jaylon can't so your comparison is incorrect. FOOLISH
Well, to be fair, the talking heads compared him to Jaylon, pre injury. I’m not making that comparison, so don’t kill the messenger.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Parsons was good value. I hate trading within the division, especially when it gives an opponent an elite talent to attack your highest weakness, but picking up a third sells it.

I know Stephen said they don't expect to move up, but I think they'd be foolish not to focus their intent on two guys early in the second and make the moves to get there. This defense doesn't just need bodies. It needs talent.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't think they were picking up that option either way but yes this cements it and you don't have to get nervous about getting a LB in round 2.

He doesn't have great off-ball instincts and is basically the same guy as Jaylon there. But he can certainly develop them if allowed to practice.
--one issue NFL guys have is lack of practice. It's crazy how little they actually practice in pads.
Far less than high school teams.

One side benefit could well be getting Sean Lee to 180 and take a job this year. Hire him as a specific coach basically just for his collegiate LB U homeboy from Pennsylvania,
Instincts to me aren’t taught
Experience will improve some reaction time but to me I’ve watched him a lot and I think he has the instincts just not the experience to diagnose as quickly as he will in time
I think had we not got a starter quality LB we would have used the 5th year option
That’s why they waited instead of just saying no

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Team does not have two Jaylon's...Jaylon can not do what Parson's does. Jaylon does not take on blocks, shed them and make tackles, he side steps them.Jaylon can't read and diagnose the run in heavy traffic and make plays in the backfield like Parsons. Two very, very different players. Parsons very good in coverage.
The comparison is incorrect with all due respect sir
yeah but can Micah swipe to the left in 2.4 secones? NOPE!

conner01

Reaction score
Parsons was good value. I hate trading within the division, especially when it gives an opponent an elite talent to attack your highest weakness, but picking up a third sells it.

I know Stephen said they don't expect to move up, but I think they'd be foolish not to focus their intent on two guys early in the second and make the moves to get there. This defense doesn't just need bodies. It needs talent.
I get not moving up in first but here on out I’m going to get my guy
We don’t need 11 players and if we pick 10 or 11 players we missed a great opportunity

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That's what coaching is all about. Use him initially as a pressure player and work on his pass defense. He's a rookie for Christ sakes. All rookies need to work on something.

I just have a problem drafting a linebacker in 2021 to do the most important thing a linebacker in 2021 needs to be good at.

Coach up a 5th rounder to get good at pass defense but not your first round pick.

When we selected LVE I loved that pick because on tape he could cover like a DB. This is not the case with this guy. His strengths are the same things Jaylon is good at.

Jaylon Smith for all that is wrong with him can blitz at a high level and run sideline to sideline.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was great his rookie year but he had red flags and concerns which is why he dropped. Sounds very familiar.

I’m also not 100% convinced his decline was all due to injuries. Initially that’s what we all suspected but after surgery he said he felt better than ever and still sucked. I dunno, weird, but that’s why you don’t chances on players in high rounds. Jerry will never learn.

What injury concerns do you have with Parsons?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
To be fair the comparisons to Jaylon were ND Jaylon, not NFL Jaylon. Those are 2 different players.

I think Parsons is more aggressive and much better and penetrating. I doubt all his tackles are going to be 10 yards downfield.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I just have a problem drafting a linebacker in 2021 to do the most important thing a linebacker in 2021 needs to be good at.

Coach up a 5th rounder to get good at pass defense but not your first round pick.

When we selected LVE I loved that pick because on tape he could cover like a DB. This is not the case with this guy. His strengths are the same things Jaylon is good at.

Jaylon Smith for all that is wrong with him can blitz at a high level and run sideline to sideline.

Jaylon Smith is a terrible blitzer. I'm so tired of hearing this. His win rate/pressure rate on blitzes is atrocious.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You'd have a problem with them drafting anyone who are you kidding. You do it every year. You do it every time the Cowboys do anything. You're only fooling yourself with your excuses.

starfan1

Reaction score
People have this complaint of Jaylon but it's really just small mindedness of having that concern 4 years ago.
Jaylon has been your combined snap leader on defense the last 3 seasons.
He is durable and physical.
He's got some challenges with change of direction but most MLB have some stiffness issues with ankles and hips.
He's not that different than say Blake Martinez.

Parsons' agility scores were not off the charts good. They were fair while his size and explosion were pretty much elite.
Parsons, like Jaylon has good pass rush acumen and can dip and turn corners w good speed but don't have great shuttle type agility.

you dont think jaylon past 2018 has gotten worse? lets not talk tackle numbers. Those are stats that dont say much to me LB should have those type numbers and his our 5 yards downfield but he has good straight line speed and thats it. if he has a bad recognition of a play his ability to change direction is awful. Now I get that one of parsons negatives is he is susceptible to run fake but he comes in better than BOTH OF OUR current LBs

I guess well see if my optimism is misplace but we need help at all 3 levels and i think the LB level was our worst level. Joe Thomas has been our best LB for 2 years IMO. (certainly last year).

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Solid A. Would have preferred Horn or Surtain but when they were gone it was a slam dunk to move back 2 spots to pick up a free 3rd round pick and still get who many consider the top defensive prospect in the draft. Especially when there was no way we were going to prevent Smith from becoming either a Giant or an Eagle other than taking him ourselves, which would have been ridiculous. Eagles likely kicking themselves this morning realizing they could have stayed put and still gotten Smith (Giants are pretty set at WR with Golladay and Ross). Ripping off a division rival is just a cherry on top of the Parsons pick.

waving monkey

Reaction score
They were part of the equation, they just would have required a move up.
End of day they were almost certainly the teams top 2 targets.
They went off board so that's a con.
I liked both CB more than Parsons but I do not think I liked them more than Parsons +75+84 which is what it ended up being.
Most of us did but credit to FO for making an intelligent call.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If it was me doing this thing we’d end up with probably 5 guys
But they’d be the guys we want
I’d fill out the roster with UDFA

If it was me, this team would have no day 3 picks. In fact, I'd even move day 3 picks next year. I want to come out of this draft with 5-6 guys I am 100% sold can contribute. Third day picks will not move the needle.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The guy was taken way too high, too bad we couldn't make a deal with the bears then just package a 3rd or 4th and you could have still have had this LB + an extra 1st next year.
Problem was the Cowboys LB2 Collins went pick 16. Then Jamin Davis went at 19
In that scenario they'd be reaching bad for LB4 having traded just below a LB run.

I REALLY wish they could have gotten the Pats ot give up the R2 and come get a QB but this was a solid fallback option.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Smith was going in the division either way.
Philly honestly bailed Dallas out here.
NYG was targeting WR too so DAL got a free R3 for selecting exact guy they would have at 10 had they remained.

My only preference would have been to get NE to come up and get Fields giving us 15 and 46.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Smith was going in the division either way.
Philly honestly bailed Dallas out here.
NYG was targeting WR too so DAL got a free R3 for selecting exact guy they would have at 10 had they remained.

My only preference would have been to get NE to come up and get Fields giving us 15 and 46.

Oh, I'm not saying they really had a better option. I'm just saying that's a tough one to swallow on the surface. However, getting that extra third makes it palpable.

Now they need to use that to move up/get an additional second and add talent in the meat of this draft. If they sit back and/or trade back again it will just further underscore how casual they are in player acquisition.