R1 Grade: B-

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
you dont think jaylon past 2018 has gotten worse? lets not talk tackle numbers. Those are stats that dont say much to me LB should have those type numbers and his our 5 yards downfield but he has good straight line speed and thats it. if he has a bad recognition of a play his ability to change direction is awful. Now I get that one of parsons negatives is he is susceptible to run fake but he comes in better than BOTH OF OUR current LBs

I guess well see if my optimism is misplace but we need help at all 3 levels and i think the LB level was our worst level. Joe Thomas has been our best LB for 2 years IMO. (certainly last year).
Joe Thomas is a guy who is really good until exposed. He was flat awful after about 100 snaps.

Jaylon was pretty bad last year but outside DLaw who wasn't pretty awful on that defense?
We credit some of the rookies or young guys but they were flat awful at times.

2018 went well because we had two healthy aggressive LBs in a simple scheme and the DTs weren't trash.
Parsons is at least healthy.

Jaylon is back so gets his mulligan and we shall see.

Sean Lee and Joe Thomas were absolutely crushed on some plays last year. Dallas got zero DT protection and the LBs were asked to read and react which means they were sitting ducks at times.
Lee and Thomas do not have the size for that stuff.

aria

Reaction score
What injury concerns do you have with Parsons?
None. I meant red flags in general, whether it’s character or injuries.

I will say I listened to an interview with him on the radio this morning and felt a little better than I did after reading recent interviews but talk is cheap.

It’s definitely a step in the right direction and we’ll see how he works out but I remain cautious and skeptical. Hopefully he doesn’t pull zeke like crap, maybe having a kid will keep him in line if he’s worth a damn as a father and not going out partying every night.

conner01

Reaction score
If it was me, this team would have no day 3 picks. In fact, I'd even move day 3 picks next year. I want to come out of this draft with 5-6 guys I am 100% sold can contribute. Third day picks will not move the needle.
Exactly

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
None. I meant red flags in general, whether it’s character or injuries.

I will say I listened to an interview with him on the radio this morning and felt a little better than I did after reading recent interviews but talk is cheap.

It’s definitely a step in the right direction and we’ll see how he works out but I remain cautious and skeptical. Hopefully he doesn’t pull zeke like crap, maybe having a kid will keep him in line if he’s worth a damn as a father and not going out partying every night.

Just had to mention Zeke, lol.

aria

Reaction score
Just had to mention Zeke, lol.
Well can you name the last player we drafted with known character issues? He’s the closest example, it’s no different than comparing Parsons to LVE or Jaylon, this is just a different but relevant category of comparisons.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Matt Miller: Player 8

Name: Micah Parsons
Position: Linebacker
College: Penn State
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 246 lbs (pro day)

Overall Rank: No. 6 overall
Position Rank: LB1

Strengths: It is rare to find a linebacker with Parsons’ athletic ability. At 6’3” and 246 pounds he ran a low 4.4-second 40-yard dash. Parsons has the build, strength and athleticism to play any linebacker spot and can handle all three phases of defensive play (run, pass, rush) equally. He’s explosive and violent when pursuing the football and shows the closing speed to erase plays when coming downhill. Parsons’ speed and burst are eye-popping and make him an ideal matchup defender against versatile, athletic tight ends in pass coverage. He’s also shown an ability as a pass-rusher and can impact the game coming off the edge. Parsons’ is loaded with potential—especially as a rusher—and could ultimately become a much better and more well-rounded NFL defender than he was in college. There is no limit to how good Parsons can be thanks to his elite athleticism.

Weaknesses: Parsons has benefited from a defensive scheme that has largely kept him clean of blockers. He’ll have to learn to better rip and shed blockers at the pro level. He’s been able to cover up any hesitation in his instincts with elite speed, but that won’t always be the case in the NFL. Parsons was named in a lawsuit by a former Penn State teammate in part of a hazing scandal. No charges were filed and Parsons was not sued by the former teammate.

What I Love: In terms of athletic ability, Parsons is in rare company. Linebackers with this size don’t generally move the way he does. Parsons is scheme-fluid and positionally versatile. He should have a major impact on his new team from the first day.

That has been my concern for Parsons. His metrics are unbelievable and at the college level you can get away with being technically sloppy. I think he can play but what worries me is for a person that is still learning the LB position and has played that position for two years. He will be on the field but more as swiss army knife type of player at least his first year. He will play some LB, some LEO, and maybe as a stand up rusher on obvious passing downs. Be interesting to see how much rust this kid has to knock off come training camp.

starfan1

Reaction score
Joe Thomas is a guy who is really good until exposed. He was flat awful after about 100 snaps.

Jaylon was pretty bad last year but outside DLaw who wasn't pretty awful on that defense?

2018 went well because we had two healthy aggressive LBs in a simple scheme and the DTs weren't trash.

Sean Lee and Joe Thomas were absolutely crushed on some plays last year. Dallas got zero DT protection and the LBs were asked to read and react which means they were sitting ducks at times.
I may be a minority of this opinion but i really felt like Hill was coming around before injury and Gallimore started to grasp things later in year, We will have Gregory (in theory) for a full season. I think or Im optimistic our front will get better. If they grab McNeil or Wilson who i think the cowboys interviewed (maybe the only DT) we can be better this year with health and Scheme. I don't see them going after Barmore. Oh and they resigned woods so they obviously like some things with him

mardwin

Reaction score
They get a C- from me.

They could have gotten :
Slater + 3rd (Eagles Trade)
A starting safety or CB + (1st round next year if traded with Bears).

Parsons better turn into the next Ray Lewis.

jrumann59

Reaction score

That is what people dont understand. They bag on the LB but scream we need DT, the LB last year had so much to deal with. The Read and react, the fact they had massive amounts of traffic to negotiate and the DTs being used as road blocks or shields. I also believe the DC or LB coach suck at teaching what to key.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
They were part of the equation, they just would have required a move up.
End of day they were almost certainly the teams top 2 targets.
They went off board so that's a con.
I liked both CB more than Parsons but I do not think I liked them more than Parsons +75+84 which is what it ended up being.
And had we spent a pick to move up for one of the corners, everyone here would’ve lost their minds. Plus, you have to have a partner to move up. I wanted Surtain, but it wasn’t an option as it turned out. We still got what many consider the most talented defensive player in the entire draft AND a free 3rd round pick. As things unfolded it couldn’t have gone better.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He's not slow diagnosing plays and he does stack and shed...he bites on some fakes like Jaylon, he blitzes well like Jaylon. His aggressiveness can be coached, he has great instincts, Jaylon does not.
google "mcginn linebacker scouts takes" and I promise you I am quoting them word for words with weaknesses.
they say it with a lot more certainty than me.
I've tried like 3 times to share that here but apparently it gets blocked.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Usually agree with JT's analysis but B- is too low IMO.

I can't penalize the Cowboys for not trading up in order to absolutely get a CB... One rumour is that they tried.

Regardless the two top corners weren't there.

The Cowboys traded down, picked up a 3rd and then drafted the top guy at a clear area of need.

I give a B for player and a + for the 3rd round pick.

B+ from me.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And had we spent a pick to move up for one of the corners, everyone here would’ve lost their minds. Plus, you have to have a partner to move up. I wanted Surtain, but it wasn’t an option as it turned out. We still got what many consider the most talented defensive player in the entire draft AND a free 3rd round pick. As things unfolded it couldn’t have gone better.
Again for the 8787888th time I acknowledged both halves of the equation.
They lost their top targets and did not make the trades up they investigated but made a really great value trade down and took a guy they would have taken had they sat at 10.

It is tough because PS2 was my top overall target and he would be slotted in right now as a day 1 starter, every snap. He is a far safer pick than Parsons not just to me but virtually anyone who looked at prospects at all.
I'd have preferred PS2 to Parsons by quite a margin but we do not know what CAR or DEN would have required since they were targeting the same guys; probably quite a lot.

This wasn't all roses but it certainly wasn't bad either.

Parsons may be fabulous but what we are asking him to do will be far different than college and that's always scary.
Or I could have had a better version of Trevon Diggs which is a known commodity to me.
Would I have given up 99 an 10 to go to 8 or 9? Of course.
Did it potentially work out even better when we got well above slot trade value to drop to 12? Probably so.
But I might have to wait a year on that value to really sink in.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Usually agree with JT's analysis but B- is too low IMO.

I can't penalize the Cowboys for not trading up in order to absolutely get a CB... One rumour is that they tried.

Regardless the two top corners weren't there.

The Cowboys traded down, picked up a 3rd and then drafted the top guy at a clear area of need.

I give a B for player and a + for the 3rd round pick.

B+ from me.
certainly fair Winks. all good.

Brooksey

Reaction score
google "mcginn linebacker scouts takes" and I promise you I am quoting them word for words with weaknesses.
they say it with a lot more certainty than me.
I've tried like 3 times to share that here but apparently it gets blocked.

I watch my own tape and make own decisions on LB's, been around the game for 40 years and played the position. I really don't care what Mcginn thinks, Parsons tape says other wise to me. He's very good at diagnosing plays, great in traffic, has elite length, speed and size. Is he over aggressive and does he bite on fakes? Yes but I'll work with that, patience can be taught, instincts at LB not so much.

Jaylon has different faults mostly because of his injury he has a very bad habit of side stepping blocks. He hesitates and drop steps on basic sweeps. He runs sideways instead of down hill too often. When Jaylon reads it right and gets up field, avoiding all blocks, he's good, he's hand swiping.This isn't Parsons Weakness. Parsons weakness is his over aggressiveness. These analysts like to lump these two problems together but that's lazy

Ken

Reaction score
All in all I am mixed on the Cowboys R1.

Pros:
- Parsons might be the best raw athlete in this draft defensively. 4.39 at 246 pounds is scary good.
- He is a defender. DAL had to align resources to that side of the ball. Forgetting the NFL game is still 3 phases is egregious roster mgmt.
- For all the Jaylon/LVE miss talk they were dynamic together with a healthy LVE for one stretch. You can see Quinn trying to recreate that with a healthy Parsons.
- The trade down was insanely nice. You pick up 84 for free as DAL was absolutely not taking a QB or WR. DAL has most remaining picks/value of any team. Should own day 2 w/ 4 picks.
- Parsons was the top rated defender on most boards for the last year.
- Day 1 role as a starting LB. Likely plays Will w LVE becoming LB3.
- Jimmy chart says DAL won trade with 170 point pick 84 for dropping 2 spots which is 100 points. +70 points is pretty extreme.

Cons:
- He is a Cowboys LB... he can run and he can hit but he attacks first action; Ball fakes own him.
- He is a LB period. Positional value is lowest on defense for me.
- He is a bit too concerned with being an alpha dog for me.
- Team now has two Jaylons. Big dudes who play best just attacking or lining up in man coverage versus tight ends/running backs.
- Top 2 CBs probably were a better fit for positional value, immediate return.
What, given what happened before they picked, would have made this an A draft in your opinion?

i think B- is too low. I think this is an A...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That has been my concern for Parsons. His metrics are unbelievable and at the college level you can get away with being technically sloppy. I think he can play but what worries me is for a person that is still learning the LB position and has played that position for two years. He will be on the field but more as swiss army knife type of player at least his first year. He will play some LB, some LEO, and maybe as a stand up rusher on obvious passing downs. Be interesting to see how much rust this kid has to knock off come training camp.
He was a HS DE and basically filled that role as a freshman non-starter.
He created crazy havoc in the back field but they didn't need to really have him back pedal.

Big leap and totally different scope of work.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I watch my own tape and make own decisions on LB's, been around the game for 40 years and played the position. I really don't care what Mcginn thinks, Parsons tape says other wise to me. He's very good at diagnosing plays, great in traffic, has elite length, speed and size. Is he over aggressive and does he bite on fakes? Yes but I'll work with that, patience can be taught, instincts at LB not so much.

Jaylon has different faults mostly because of his injury he has a very bad habit of side stepping blocks. He hesitates and drop steps on basic sweeps. He runs sideways instead of down hill too often. When Jaylon reads it right and gets up field, avoiding all blocks, he's good, he's hand swiping.This isn't Parsons Weakness. Parsons weakness is his over aggressiveness. These analysts like to lump these two problems together but that's lazy
... McGinn is quoting NFL scouts. it's what he does yearly. He gets the scouts on record anonymously.
And not 1 but at least 3 commented on Parsons.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Comparing Jaylon to Parsons is simply some of the most laziest opinions you can possibly have. Extremely lazy. Unless you are comparing him to Notre Dame Jaylon.....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What, given what happened before they picked, would have made this an A draft in your opinion?

i think B- is too low. I think this is an A...
I'd have given them an A- for a trade down to 12 then a Slater selection.
Just a far safer pick IMO.
Slater was working out with Big Duke and Tyron Smith while Parsons was in Cali.