Raiders Fire GM: Guess we know who traded Mack & Cooper

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Rappaport reported on NFLN today that Gruden was totally unaware of those trades being finalized. He even asked Rappaport WTH was going on.

then he's an idiot. given the contract he signed, trading Khalil Mack without him knowing should have been it, but Amari Cooper...who was unhappy with Gruden? I think Rapaport is being played

exciter

Reaction score
I imagine seeing the Bears hold the Rams to 6 points and seeing Cooper go for 200 was enough for them to fire him, even after the Raiders beat Pittsburgh.

Whoopsies!
Need to fire whomever made the decision to hire Gruden!

PBCCowboy

Reaction score
Gruden better come up with a Julio Jones and a Mike Singletary to justify ridding themselves of Cooper and Mack.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
then he's an idiot. given the contract he signed, trading Khalil Mack without him knowing should have been it, but Amari Cooper...who was unhappy with Gruden? I think Rapaport is being played

Why on earth would Gruden pretend he wasn't involved in those trades, if he was the one behind them? What coach do you know that likes to appear clueless about what's going on with his players?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely.

The uneducated eye who has not been paying attention sees it as some sort of retribution for Cooper and Mack.

That is far from the case.

McKenzie was on his way out for a while. And he was the guy who drafted the pair of them.

So this idea that he got fired because Cooper and Mack are doing well is just stupid.

The real issue is how Mark Davis dealt with Joel Segal, who represents both players.

Bingo was his name-O!
:hammer:

The fact is that the world’s worst haircut got miffed that Segal wasn’t about to give a cash-strapped team a discount on re-signing it’s best players because the team overspent on a quarterback who wasn’t worth what he hit.

Once Dumb and Dumber realized he couldn’t afford them, the mandate was made to trade them. McKenzie deserves credit for drafting them, not blame for trading them. That goes to the idiot son who inherited his job rather than earning it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I have a feeling they traded these players so that they can go nuts in free agency. They have 81 million in cap space next year.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
That's how I see it as well. Gruden can't really be fired with his mega-contract...so if GM didn't like it and was oppositional...not much choice.
I'm sure he wouldn't mind being fired and collecting 90mn over the next 9 years to do nothing.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have a feeling they traded these players so that they can go nuts in free agency. They have 81 million in cap space next year.
If so, it is a dumb strategy. It is far better to sign young talent on a second contract.

I just think they were impatient. And incompetent.

Gruden has his own design going on, but who knows what that is.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If so, it is a dumb strategy. It is far better to sign young talent on a second contract.

I just think they were impatient. And incompetent.

Gruden has his own design going on, but who knows what that is.

I agree, but he has a 10 year contract, so he has time to do whatever he wants. All those picks and a boatload of money will go a long ways to fixing things. I just think he is a bum of a coach.

Little Jr

Reaction score
If anyone besides Rap is reporting it I'll look at different. Until then, I can't imagine a owner who paid his HC 100m, which means he's pretty much the gm also, would allow his future ex gm to pull off something like that without anyone knowing, especially the HC.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I imagine seeing the Bears hold the Rams to 6 points and seeing Cooper go for 200 was enough for them to fire him, even after the Raiders beat Pittsburgh.

Whoopsies!
If you think McKenzie traded away the 2 players he drafted with no.1 picks, then you also think Jerry Jones built the 90's Cowboys Dynasty making all the GM moves.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Gruden might look like a genius after this draft class? So, just have to wait and see what he gets with all of his first round picks, then decide if he is nuts or not.
I will say this, if he DOES somehow end up getting 2 future all-pros with those picks (which are likely to be in the 25-32 range) then he will look like a genius.

WeaponX

Reaction score
And who are they going to sign better than either of the two of Mack and Cooper at their respective positions? Unless by “go nuts” you mean overpay a bunch of average to above average guys.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Gruden knew about the Cooper trade. He empathically shopped him around for a #1. Said that Cooper wasn't performing up to par and that he had the case of the dropsies. So, of course, the Raiders GM is taking the fall for Gruden.