Raiders sign Jason Witten

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Witten is nothing more than holding on way too long to a relationship. You think they will revert back to what they used to be even though for years they shown they won't. It's also a comfortable factor. Dallas was comfortable with him at TE. They knew nothing else except one year for well over a decade. The fans got comfortable, too. He was holding this team hostage. Good riddance. Thanks for the good years but those are way in the past.
You are what?

20 years old?

Your range of respect borders on a cartoon level.

Witten just wants to play the game and make a paycheck.

Any realistic fan understands that who has a family and supports them and all that goes with it..

mortgages, car payments, food and shelter, education.

Get off your gaming platform and wake up.

erod

Reaction score
This is true. He is a WR but I guess the definition of WR has become this. None of these guys can really block anymore. The value of that particular skill is lost on everybody, it would seem.
Kelce blocks.

erod

Reaction score
Not like what most of us grew up with. Kelce does a much better job then a lot of the TEs you see in the NFL today but he would have been considered below average in years past.
Kittle destroys people.

erod

Reaction score
That's one guy. It used to be that every TE could block and some could catch. Now every TE can catch and some can block. Completely opposite.
This is a team built around Zeke and the run game. Gotta have a tight end who can at least be an average blocker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is a team built around Zeke and the run game. Gotta have a tight end who can at least be an average blocker.

I agree erod. I mean, that seems like it would be a basic understanding but the fan base just does not seem to value that over TEs who can threaten the seam. I can only assume that it's a product of the modern passing game and the state of football in general. Most of the younger fan base have no idea what TEs are actually used for in the running game in any case. They all came up on three WR sets or 11 personnel. It is what it is.

timb2

Reaction score
I love Jason Witten when he was young,but honestly he was here probably 4 to 5 years past his prime. Hopefully politics of locker room favorites is over on who starts and who doesn't....Let the best players play and youth needs to have it's chance to prove themselves...

I am glad, it was time to move on from Witten. He was great player but he is not the player he was 5 years ago.

Flamma

Reaction score
You are what?

20 years old?

Your range of respect borders on a cartoon level.

Witten just wants to play the game and make a paycheck.

Any realistic fan understands that who has a family and supports them and all that goes with it..

mortgages, car payments, food and shelter, education.

Get off your gaming platform and wake up.

Lets slow down a bit here. What the Spider said wasn't all that unreasonable. And lets face it, there is no room for respect in the salary cap era. You get used and flushed like toilet paper.

I'm with you until you said make a paycheck. Witten isn't some aging dock worker looking to feed his family. IMO he continues to play because he loves playing the game. He's not now, nor ever, going to have to worry about food and shelter. The dude is set for life.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Lets slow down a bit here. What the Spider said wasn't all that unreasonable. And lets face it, there is no room for respect in the salary cap era. You get used and flushed like toilet paper.

I'm with you until you said make a paycheck. Witten isn't some aging dock worker looking to feed his family. IMO he continues to play because he loves playing the game. He's not now, nor ever, going to have to worry about food and shelter. The dude is set for life.
Ok..

typically here on the Forum things get schewed.

I certainly do not say Witten is down and out. These guys are like corporations unto themselves.

And yes he loves the game. At this stage of his career playing TE is like having a longtime spouse who has taken your ups and downs and it still there.

But that relationship is ending and he will have to slide into another phase. His faithful spouse is leaving after many years. Change is hard.

My next hope is that he returns and agrees with MM's advice and starts from the beginning with his coaching career. MM is a good basis to learn from.

We will see. Later.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I love Jason Witten when he was young,but honestly he was here probably 4 to 5 years past his prime. Hopefully politics of locker room favorites is over on who starts and who doesn't....Let the best players play and youth needs to have it's chance to prove themselves...

I am glad, it was time to move on from Witten. He was great player but he is not the player he was 5 years ago.
Agreed.

Even Witten would have to agree with you on that.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
A TE that can set the edge for Zeke and Pollard to make their cuts. And do more than drift 5 yds out and turn.

I played TE in HS. I guess that is why I am romantically attached to the position.

Back then we played both ways..TE on offense and LBer on defense.

My best pattern was a curl and go..I am 6'2" and had crap for hands but 3rd down was my time. Unfortunately I only weighed about 185 soaking wet after a meal at Roy Rodgers restaurant.

So blocking was hit and miss but I lettered. That's all my GF cared about becuz she was a cheerleader and wore my letter jacket. I never did.

So Witten has served us greatly and I want a new TE hero.

So far..no takers.

Later.