Rams/Cowboys joint practices

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not practice, shared practice with the Rams. Note the difference, Sparky. ;)
LOL, nope I don't see any difference. I mean I could if I wanted to, but for some reason I'm blinded at the moment. :laugh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just expressing my opinion and I've noted yours. We'll just have to wait and see how productive this turns out. But you can expect an "I told you so" coming from me when it turns into an ego-fest of fighting. ;)
I'll stand corrected on one thing. I admittedly didn't read the article before, and now that I have I see it is about joint practices in training camp, not practices now during OTA's. I probably should have realized that.

Still, again, even if there are fights, wouldn't stirring the competitive juices be a big part of the reason for these joint practices? Again, it's not to put everything they are working on - schemes, plays, packages etc .. - out for the NFL to see.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys fight with themselves every training camp. We should cancel that to avoid the chaos.
LOL, that's a different animal. Coaches let those fires simmer for a while and then extinguish them. When whole teams go at it, it's beyond extinguishing.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'll stand corrected on one thing. I admittedly didn't read the article before, and now that I have I see it is about joint practices in training camp, not practices now during OTA's. I probably should have realized that.

Still, again, even if there are fights, wouldn't stirring the competitive juices be a big part of the reason for these joint practices? Again, it's not to put everything they are working on - schemes, plays, packages etc .. - out for the NFL to see.
In a perfect world, absolutely. But we all know the best of intentions in these things can go wrong when ego and competitive juices aren't closely monitored or allowed to explode. I like a good fight. But if this thing goes wrong, it's just going to be a set back for both teams.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's all true. I commend you for your ability to understand this but if we have learned anything from previous attempts to relieve such monotony by allowing these teams to practice together is that egos get in the way and it just turns out to be a display of testosterone gone bad.

Cowboys, Rams end practice early after fights break out (yahoo.com)

Video: Wild Brawls Spoil Cowboys-Rams Joint Practice – CBS New York (cbslocal.com)

Cowboys, Raiders Practice Turns Into Brawl – NBC Bay Area

Cowboys, Raiders get into huge fight during joint practice | FOX Sports

How many examples do you need? Good intention gone bad... it never fails to turn out to be a positive experience.
I just realized that while you posted 4 links, the first two are the same incident, and the second two are the same incident. This is 2 incidents, not 4.

In addition, the first incident only cut practice short by 30 minutes - not exactly the loss of any productivity for the day.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I just realized that while you posted 4 links, the first two are the same incident, and the second two are the same incident. This is 2 incidents, not 4.
That's a mighty fine observation. You deserve a cookie. I never said it was 4 separate incidents. ;)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a perfect world, absolutely. But we all know the best of intentions in these things can go wrong when ego and competitive juices aren't closely monitored or allowed to explode. I like a good fight. But if this thing goes wrong, it's just going to be a set back for both teams.
"Can" go wrong, yes. But lots of things "can" go wrong with every aspect of life. As it is, you posted about an incident 6 years ago, and another incident 7 years ago. And even with that, one of those incidents only cost the team 30 minutes of practice time. It's pretty hard to act as if that indicates a certainty that a productive practice can't be held between 2 teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"Can" go wrong, yes. But lots of things "can" go wrong with every aspect of life. As it is, you posted about an incident 6 years ago, and another incident 7 years ago. And even with that, one of those incidents only cost the team 30 minutes of practice time. It's pretty hard to act as if that indicates a certainty that a productive practice can't be held between 2 teams.
We'll see.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To show how widespread these incidents were reported.
lol. Isn't the question about how common and/or disrusptive the incidents are, not how many media sources pick up on exactly the same story?

After all, a single incident doesn't somehow become better or worse, or indicate incidents are more or less prevalent because both Fox Sports and the local Bay Area NBC affiliate picked up on the Raiders and Cowboys fighting on that particular day.

Of course the Bay Area NBC affiliate reports on the Raiders, and Fox Sports gives a daily training camp report on all 32 NFL teams. The story isn't somehow different or more meaningful because of that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
lol. Isn't the question about how common and/or disrusptive the incidents are, not how many media sources pick up on exactly the same story?

After all, a single incident doesn't somehow become better or worse, or indicate incidents are more or less prevalent because both Fox Sports and the local Bay Area NBC affiliate picked up on the Raiders and Cowboys fighting on that particular day.

Of course the Bay Area NBC affiliate reports on the Raiders, and Fox Sports gives a daily training camp report on all 32 NFL teams. The story isn't somehow different or more meaningful because of that.
You are arguing an angle that is trivial to the thread topic. For that, I will concede posting one link for each incident would have been sufficient. Another cookie for you sir. It doesn't dissuade me from my original point. This shared practice idea just invites chaos and a non-productive event.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Settle your anger issues … lol. So I read the OP only - a calm comment about reading further would do fine. Ranting just looks ridiculous.

Besides, the examples you gave were training camp - practices in pads and hitting each other. This is OTAs. Not remotely apples to apples.

And even if it were training camp, all your examples show is there can be fights, not that it's an absolute that fights will result in any and every joint practice being completely unproductive. Again, the coaches have been around and done this before. I'm sure a guy sitting at home in front of a computer can't tell them anything new.

And realistically, stirring the competitive juices is probably part of the point, don't you think? Obviously joint practices aren't held to show opponents everything they are working on.
This is not OTAs. They are talking about the Cowboys going to Cali for Training Camp and while we are there, going to where ever the Rams practice, and having a shared training event with them.

DanA

Reaction score
That's all true. I commend you for your ability to understand this but if we have learned anything from previous attempts to relieve such monotony by allowing these teams to practice together is that egos get in the way and it just turns out to be a display of testosterone gone bad.

Cowboys, Rams end practice early after fights break out (yahoo.com)

Video: Wild Brawls Spoil Cowboys-Rams Joint Practice – CBS New York (cbslocal.com)

Cowboys, Raiders Practice Turns Into Brawl – NBC Bay Area

Cowboys, Raiders get into huge fight during joint practice | FOX Sports

How many examples do you need? Good intention gone bad... it never fails to turn out to be a positive experience.

Man, this is just a media beat-up for clicks on what were pretty successful practices. They have a bit more intensity, they get a look at a different scheme and playbook, and come up against an unfamiliar group of players that don't know each others game inside out. And these "fights" consist of about 30 seconds of pushing, a bit of wrestling, and maybe a pile-up of player. It's pretty tame and controlled really, I don't recall a single injury from one of these "brawls", but I have heard of the odd player losing his helmet which I guess presents a risk. But training is a grind and it's a chance to add a bit of excitement, I bet the players love it, talk about it for a week and then move on.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Man, this is just a media beat-up for clicks on what were pretty successful practices. They have a bit more intensity, they get a look at a different scheme and playbook, and come up against an unfamiliar group of players that don't know each others game inside out. And these "fights" consist of about 30 seconds of pushing, a bit of wrestling, and maybe a pile-up of player. It's pretty tame and controlled really, I don't recall a single injury from one of these "brawls", but I have heard of the odd player losing his helmet which I guess presents a risk. But training is a grind and it's a chance to add a bit of excitement, I bet the players love it, talk about it for a week and then move on.
The Rams-Cowboys fight in 2015 was so bad it ended the event because they could not continue and the Cowboys got their buts kicked in the skirmish.