Rams/Cowboys joint practices

DanA

Reaction score
The Rams-Cowboys fight in 2015 was so bad it ended the event because they could not continue and the Cowboys got their buts kicked in the skirmish.

Practice ending a few minutes early isn't really an indication of failure. And neither is a wake up call on where you stand compared to good oposition.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's all true. I commend you for your ability to understand this but if we have learned anything from previous attempts to relieve such monotony by allowing these teams to practice together is that egos get in the way and it just turns out to be a display of testosterone gone bad.

Cowboys, Rams end practice early after fights break out (yahoo.com)

Video: Wild Brawls Spoil Cowboys-Rams Joint Practice – CBS New York (cbslocal.com)

Cowboys, Raiders Practice Turns Into Brawl – NBC Bay Area

Cowboys, Raiders get into huge fight during joint practice | FOX Sports

How many examples do you need? Good intention gone bad... it never fails to turn out to be a positive experience.

How many of those fights really mattered, though?

I think the good outweighs the bad.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Practice ending a few minutes early isn't really an indication of failure. And neither is a wake up call on where you stand compared to good oposition.
Both teams admitted it was a disaster. You can revision the history of this event all you want but both teams considered it unproductive.

DanA

Reaction score
Both teams admitted it was a disaster. You can revision the history of this event all you want but both teams considered it unproductive.

But they didn’t, that’s made up. Never once did they say the joint practice was a disaster. And that’s reflected by how often it’s been repeated.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But they didn’t, that’s made up. Never once did they say the joint practice was a disaster. And that’s reflected by how often it’s been repeated.
Yeah, I'm sure both sides loved it. Fights are so much better than football practice. :rolleyes:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Hopefully, there'll be enough different personalities involved that they'll get along better. Do they dislike hosting "America's Team" in their sacred facility?! If so, too bad -- we'll be back in all our wondrous glory -- they'll just have to grin and bear our imposition yet one more time! Hee-hee. :D

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not OTAs. They are talking about the Cowboys going to Cali for Training Camp and while we are there, going to where ever the Rams practice, and having a shared training event with them.
I recognized that several posts earlier and conceded I made a mistake on that.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I disagree. I think practicing against your own team gets monotonous and you sometimes need the variety to improve your game.
and to remind you that other teams might actually be good at football

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is good for the defense. Things can get a little extra chippy since you aren't worried about hurting a team mate. Brings out the fight in your players a little bit, harness that emotion, use it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I recognized that several posts earlier and conceded I made a mistake on that.
I posted that on Friday. Here it is Tuesday of the next week and you are bumping this discussion again. I've moved on, please do the same.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I posted that on Friday. Here it is Tuesday of the next week and you are bumping this discussion again. I've moved on, please do the same.
And I acknowledge my mistake earlier on Friday. I wasn't trying to perpetuate an argument, I just haven't been on this site since Friday and was letting you know that I acknowledge I made a mistake on that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
And I acknowledge my mistake earlier on Friday. I wasn't trying to perpetuate an argument, I just haven't been on this site since Friday and was letting you know that I acknowledge I made a mistake on that.
:bow: it's all good my brother.

J-man

Reaction score
I realize that fights may, and probably will break out a these joint practices, obviously disrupting what the coaches are trying to get done. But overall I see them as a positive. Our coaches are new and trying to implement new schemes/ideas. The more opportunities they get to try them out against other players who don't them the better IMO.
Also getting to compete against other teams/players can intensify things in practice, besides the fights. It can cause some players to feel the pressures of a real game and that can bring out the best and worst in some players. And IMO it's good for the coaches to see how their players will react in those situations before it matters in a game.
There is also an added element of team bonding that can occur if and when there are any altercations. Team mates, who may not be the best of friends at camp, will defend each other against a common foe, which creates respect and friendships. Which helps the team become one.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I realize that fights may, and probably will break out a these joint practices, obviously disrupting what the coaches are trying to get done. But overall I see them as a positive. Our coaches are new and trying to implement new schemes/ideas. The more opportunities they get to try them out against other players who don't them the better IMO.
Also getting to compete against other teams/players can intensify things in practice, besides the fights. It can cause some players to feel the pressures of a real game and that can bring out the best and worst in some players. And IMO it's good for the coaches to see how their players will react in those situations before it matters in a game.
There is also an added element of team bonding that can occur if and when there are any altercations. Team mates, who may not be the best of friends at camp, will defend each other against a common foe, which creates respect and friendships. Which helps the team become one.

Evidently coaches around the league see more benefit than draw backs. Patriots have joint workouts in camp with NY Giants and Philly. Tampa Bay has joint workout with Tenn. and if you look around many teams will be having joint workouts. Fights will happen but then fights amongst teammates happen in camp as guys are fighting for jobs.