Randall Cobb misses practice with back injury

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After 5 games ..

Beasley: 267 yards 9.9 yards per catch 69.2% completion % 0 TDs
Cobb: 210 yards 12.4 yards per catch 63.0% completion % 1 TD

You could argue either way on who is having a better season, with Beasley getting more targets and receptions, and Cobb getting more yardage per reception and having a TD, but a factor that should be considered is that Cobb is playing as the Cowboys #3 receiver, and Beasley is playing as the Bills #2 receiver.

Thanks for those numbers.

I think the quarterback and overall offense is another factor to be considered as well.

As your numbers show, it's very close.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
People will just bring up the "bad attitude". Because we don't need that here. He also quits on teams, they'll say, and we don't stand for players who quit, especially after they get paid.

Beasley's antics were annoying, but it should in no way disparage what he brought on the field. He was a good player, that demanded double coverage at times.

Cobb isn't as good, which is okay because he is being paid less. But people have to be level headed about new acquisitions.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its a long season cobb is a often injured player who will have to be managed as they say on jones cowboys

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cobb has more yards per reception and more TDs (Beasley has zero TDs).

Yards/Reception is a better measure of performance.

Bulk yards and bulk targets is a function of the specific offense.
Yard/catch is also a product of usage.

Beasley has been way better than Cobb.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
After 5 games ..

Beasley: 267 yards 9.9 yards per catch 69.2% completion % 0 TDs
Cobb: 210 yards 12.4 yards per catch 63.0% completion % 1 TD

You could argue either way on who is having a better season, with Beasley getting more targets and receptions, and Cobb getting more yardage per reception and having a TD, but a factor that should be considered is that Cobb is playing as the Cowboys #3 receiver, and Beasley is playing as the Bills #2 receiver.

Cowboys offense:
1606 receiving yards(Cobb 13%)
13.5 yards per reception(-1.1 from average)
72.6% catch %(-9.4%)
11 passing TDs(1/11)

Bill's offense:
1249 receiving yards(Beasley 21%)
11.3 yards per reception(-1.4 from average)
67.3%(+1.9%)
5 passing TDs(0/5)

Cobb- 259 snaps
Beasley- 233 snaps

HanD

Reaction score
Cowboys offense:
72.6% catch %(-9.4%)
11 passing TDs(1/11)

Bill's offense:
67.3%(+1.9%)
5 passing TDs(0/5)

Cobb- 259 snaps
Beasley- 233 snaps
thanks for the stats. including that cole is tied for tops in targets on his team. he is the 1b to john brown's 1a target choice. cobb is the 3rd option here.

i like both. i think cobb is a bit more versatile than cole in his abilities. then again maybe we didn't give cole enough of a different role? i'd like to see what his route variety is in buff compared to when he was here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys offense:
72.6% catch %(-9.4%)
11 passing TDs(1/11)

Bill's offense:
67.3%(+1.9%)
5 passing TDs(0/5)

Cobb- 259 snaps
Beasley- 233 snaps
Another key stat ...

Beasley 39 targets
Cobb 27 targets

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Another key stat ...

Beasley 39 targets
Cobb 27 targets

Key stat:

Yep, Beasley gets 3.6 yards of separation, 5th best in the league amongst those with 25 receptions.

Cobb 3.1 yards of separation

Better player and less competition for targets will lead to you getting more targets despite playing less snaps for sure.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Key stat:

Yep, Beasley gets 3.6 yards of separation, 5th best in the league amongst those with 25 receptions.

Cobb 3.1 yards of separation

Better player and less competition for targets will lead to you getting more targets despite playing less snaps for sure.

I don't know that Beasley is the better player, but he has a different skill set than Cobb. Like somebody said earlier, they play the same position, but they execute it differently. To add to that, they are used a little differently too. Cobb is used on deeper routes and Beasley is largely running underneath routes.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't know that Beasley is the better player, but he has a different skill set than Cobb. Like somebody said earlier, they play the same position, but they execute it differently. To add to that, they are used a little differently too. Cobb is used on deeper routes and Beasley is largely running underneath routes.

Absolutely, but it's fair to compare like we do with all other players. Especially since they are both slots.

At this point, with all the information that we have, it's a pretty safe assertion that Beasley has played better than Cobb. Which the NFL thought would be the case too.

That might suck to recognize for 80% of the board, but it is what it is. We have places around Cobb that make up for the loss of Beasley.

JMech

Reaction score

With Beasley being used as a #2 and seemingly as a #1 based on the number of times Allen looks for him, your statement does not capture the reality of the situation.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Called it...people would want the Beaser back as soon as Cobb hit the shelf...3 weeks ago.:rolleyes:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
With Beasley being used as a #2 and seemingly as a #1 based on the number of times Allen looks for him, your statement does not capture the reality of the situation.
Wut? He's not a 1 or 2, that's now how the Bills are running their offense. He is being used as a chain-mover in the slot, just as he was in Dallas, and as the underneath option in combination with Brown. It's why they have the exact same number of targets, and both have a catch % of ~70. Cobb's is 63%.

I can't imagine you watch the Bills...ever...so I don't think you have any grasp of the reality of the situation. Beasley has been far, far more effective for what he's been asked to do than Cobb has.

robjay04

Reaction score
I'd say that was indicative of the offense rather than Beasley becoming a bad player, wouldn't you?

How do the numbers compare between Beasley and Cobb to this point this year?

I like Bease and think he’s a good player. I just think Cobb May be a better fit for us because he has more versatility..fair?

I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Bills offense to ours because they don’t have Cooper or Gallup. I don’t think Bease would’ve performed better than Cobb has for our team...obviously that’s my opinion but I’m partially basing it on how productive each of them were playing with Cooper and Gallup.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Bease and think he’s a good player. I just think Cobb May be a better fit for us because he has more versatility..fair?

Certainly fair. And Cobb talks a lot less crap as well, which is another positive.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare the Bills offense to ours because they don’t have Cooper or Gallup. I don’t think Bease would’ve performed better than Cobb has for our team...obviously that’s my opinion but I’m partially basing it on how productive each of them were playing with Cooper and Gallup.

I don't think it's "fair" to speculate either way. If you disregard one, you disregard the other. That's being fair.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely, but it's fair to compare like we do with all other players. Especially since they are both slots.

At this point, with all the information that we have, it's a pretty safe assertion that Beasley has played better than Cobb. Which the NFL thought would be the case too.

That might suck to recognize for 80% of the board, but it is what it is. We have places around Cobb that make up for the loss of Beasley.

I don't know that's really as clear cut as you think. Let's say Cobb also had 39 targetslike Beasley. At his current completion % rate that would be 24.6 completions (2.4 less than Beasley), and at his current yards per catch rate that would be 305 yards (38 more yards than Beasley), plus it could add another TD. So, has Beasley really have done better, or just had more opportunity?

In the end, Beasley has a higher completion rate, but Cobb does more with each completion. I don't see how that necessarily favors Beasley. I'm not sure it necessarily favors Cobb either. It's just different. It seems pretty close to call.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One of the Bills top 3 WRs is D’Haquille Williams, a player they signed this off-season from the Edmonton Eskimos.

Usage is a product of depth chart...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In your defense you weren't the only one wrong on this board.

80% here get all warm and fuzzy when there is a new shiny toy that arrives and they immediately make claims of that player definitely being an upgrade over the incumbent. Happens every single year, mostly with players that signed larger contracts.

Hell Jelks was better than Crawford the second we drafted him.

Just watch we are gonna let Byron walk and then we'll draft a guy in the 5th and he will "for sure" be an upgrade.

I was correct. Cobb is better for the Cowboys offense.

Cobb has better stats.

Cobb better Yard/Catch.

Cobb more TDs.

I win.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol, no it's not. Yay Cobb has one more TD on a team with 3x more passing TDs! Wippee!!!!!

Yards per reception is a function of a player's role on a specific offense and Beasley covers the underneath. That's like saying DeSean Jackson is better than Keenan Allen, just a silly statement but you already knew that.

I will say that Cobb has way more drops though on less targets

Let's not strawman Xwalker.
In your defense you weren't the only one wrong on this board.