Random App/Widget rant

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before starting...the option to switch to Iphone is a no go so don't even bother. I would not even have the option of the widgets to change or personalize like I do with android.

So for years I have been using a widget program called HD Widgets.

I liked the versatility and options it provided. Widgets for Clock, Weather, combo of clock weather and other widgets.

I have used it IIRC on my samsung galaxy 3, Note 4 and now note 8.

I used the clock/weather combo widget on my screen which gave me the ability to choose what my clock looked like (flip, digital and other options), the color of the fonts. The transparency levels, the background and borders to make the clock stand out from the weather portion. It also gave the options of different appearances/icons for the weather portion as well. It was add free after one time upgraded fee applied (very low price IIRC). If I clicked on the clock portion of it, it would bring up the options for the clock, alarm, stop watch. If I clicked on the weather portion it would bring up detail reports for the weather and also gave you the option of different weather services. Use could use the location with your location setting however if you did not want to have the location setting running you could put in your local location and it would find it without problems.

In essence it was the perfect app for what I wanted and any time I got a new phone that was always a priority to set up the app the way I liked it.

However recently the clock portion was not working correctly. If you restarted your phone, if you removed the widget and put it back or if you uninstalled and reinstalled the program, the clock would work once.

By that I mean if it was 7:00 and you reset everying the clock would say 7:00. However once the time went on to 7:01 and so on, the clock on the screen widget would still be stuck on 7:00.

Also another company acquired the HD Widgets called Beautiful Widgets...which I had for other things.

I went to see some of the reviews and it seems some time after the start of 2020 many people were having the same problem with the clock part of the widget. Would imagine that the new company has just not gotten any to update the program.

So being too OCD about stuff on my phone it was driving me crazy so I took it off.

Now one would think I could easily find another program to replace the weather clock widget.

Well...No...it was/is not.

Some programs have too many advert issues. And some can take the apps off but too much for a one time upgrade or they want a monthly payment. So those were no gos.

Some programs had a nice look to the weather clock combo but if you clicked on the widget after it was on your screen, it would only bring up the weather portion and not the clock. I like to bring up both as I use my alarms for various things.

I thought I found one that was ok but it turned out that instead of the Clock portion getting stuck, it was the temp portion was not updating.

Some Did everything I wanted but I just did not like the appearance of it and they would not have options to change the looks.

Finally found one that looked ok, the clock and weather worked, you could click on the clock and it woudl bring that up and same for the weather portion. Also had a place to click on for some settings. It had a refresh button on it so if for some reason it did get stuck, you could hit the refresh button instead of restarting phone or redoing the app.
The upgrade fee to remove the apps was a one time thing and the price was low.

Still do not like it as much as my old one but it is ok. I am hoping that in the future they will finally fix the old one.

So that ends my rambling rant.

Do you have stories of apps or programs you liked but they just stopped updating or the had issues that ruined it for you.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It's because you don't have those options to begin with .

EXACTLY. An iPhone is sits on railroad tracks. You can only go where the tracks allow you to go. Android all-terrain vehicle. You can drive on the tracks if you like, or you can blaze your own trail.

Haven't had a chance to read the entire post, but I believe I used to have HD Widgets at one point too though I think I starting having some issues with the app and stopped using it. I will read it when I have more time.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's because you don't have those options to begin with it also shows who reads and who does not. ;)

I would rather have the headache of having to choose between many different things vs not having a choice at all.
Well I did read your post and didn’t try and tell you to get an iPhone.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
EXACTLY. An iPhone is sits on railroad tracks. You can only go where the tracks allow you to go. Android all-terrain vehicle. You can drive on the tracks if you like, or you can blaze your own trail.

Haven't had a chance to read the entire post, but I believe I used to have HD Widgets at one point too though I think I starting having some issues with the app and stopped using it. I will read it when I have more time.
:muttley:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With that said you could talk about apps with iphone that no longer update or have issues.

And please don't act like they have not as I used to have an iphone and my wife still does.

Some apps on Iphone have problems, some get discontinued and some require updates.

Some years ago they had a major screw up with their map system.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
With that said you could talk about apps with iphone that no longer update or have issues.

And please don't act like they have not as I used to have an iphone and my wife still does.

Some apps on Iphone have problems, some get discontinued and some require updates.

Some years ago they had a major screw up with their map system.
All true but just nearly not as often.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All true but just nearly not as often.

My wife would beg to differ.

Which sucks because I have to try and fix the issues and I hate dealing with Iphones after getting used to android system.

It's funny we both had iphones at one time.

Then we both switched to the galaxy 3 when it came out. She hated it, I loved it.

See switched back to Iphone and will not move off it, I am the opposite, will not move back to apple.

So she has apple phones and tablet
I have android phones and tablet

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
As a old flip phones user I just saw a review about flip smart phones ( Motorola and Samsung) they do look neat but very expensive

Bachman05

Reaction score
I currently have a iphone because I got good deal on it , used a Android previously but if and when I get a new phone it will probably be a Android. Having said that the one thing that really annoys me is when they do a OS update and reset my notifications and such and also changing the app icons so I can no longer find it and that applies to both types.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I currently have a iphone because I got good deal on it , used a Android previously but if and when I get a new phone it will probably be a Android. Having said that the one thing that really annoys me is when they do a OS update and reset my notifications and such and also changing the app icons so I can no longer find it and that applies to both types.

can't you just disable update?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I normally do not have a problem with the icons moving after an update.

But I have had problems with some of the notification settings after some updates.

I normally turn off all notifications for most apps so when I know they have been turned off and then I get one after an update it is annoying.

Bachman05

Reaction score
can't you just disable update?

Sure that will work , It was more when you do update that they change some of your settings which I really think could be done without doing so but then again I am no tech guru so who knows.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Sure that will work , It was more when you do update that they change some of your settings which I really think could be done without doing so but then again I am no tech guru so who knows.
some of these updates can improve performance and fix bugs and some just part of planned obsolescence plan

nobody

Reaction score
I hate how IBM bought then for no reason completely redesigned the Weather Underground APP. I loved how it used to be. This new version? It's a pain the butt, isn't near as intuitive, takes a lot more swipes to find the same info, and they released it before making any widgets for it....

Leave it to IBM to completely wreck something that was working beautifully before.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
HD Widgets is not "Android" It's a 3rd party app FOR Android. Android itself has nothing to do with it.

Don't even for a second tell me there are no 3rd party iPhone apps that don't have issues or are complete crap. I know they do because I work in IT and we have people who use iPhone apps. I ended up having to hire Apple specific people due to all the issues MacOS and iOS have.