Randy Gregory Article from ESPN - long and in-depth

Plumfool

Reaction score
To be honest with you his whole story smells like bs..... he is traumatized for life because he got a bad haircut in the 4th grade???

He sounds like he likes to get high over everything else..... he wasn't street enough in college so he kept smoking with his teammates.....c'mon man

He even admitted him and his friend timed his smoking around the combine but Gregory pushed it by 3-4 extra days and failed...once he was in the program he failed several more times,,,,,, he was even high when he was first able to get re-instated in Nov 2017

All the pro-marijuana people I hear say it isn't addictive ..... that is the beauty,,,,,, well which is it????

All I know is the guy has a lot of talent and has been given a 5th chance......it is up to him to decide if he wants to be a millionaire NFL player or not.....no more excuses

Oversimplification of his issues imo

And many would argue that from a clinical standpoint marijuana is addictive. Truthfully anything can become addictive.

I agree he has talent. But sounds like to me he has good excuses for the way his life has turned to this point. Hopefully he’s able to beat his Demons.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
To be honest with you his whole story smells like bs..... he is traumatized for life because he got a bad haircut in the 4th grade???

To me, it seems the article was avoiding the 800 lb gorilla in the room: Gregory's got some serious mental issues that go way beyond drugs. Why were people in suits literally having to drag him into a car? Why did he check that he was depressed and suicidal on a form - cause I'm no weed fan, but weed doesn't do that. We've all heard rumors that Gregory is bipolar and the article doesn't even address it.

I get that they can't go air all his dirty laundry in the media, and you've got to show some sympathy and respect to your interview subjects if you ever want to land an interview again, but this article seems like it's just dancing around the root cause.

superonyx

Reaction score
It has been an argument here for years

If he was actually bi-polar it would be in this in depth article

sorry the discussion tests your fragile sensibilities......carry on
Just as I thought.

What difference does it make if he is bipolar or just suffers from depression?
You are putting too much weight on whether he is bipolar or just not. Neither one is going to have a doctor claim street marijuana is the doctor preferred treatment.

Mental health is more complex than just taking a blood test and getting a positive or negative result.
Sorry if this grey area is too much for your fragile sensibilities.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory's story struck a chord with my son. Whether Gregory every reaches the lofty expectations he is capable, he (Gregory) has inspired my son to address his personal demons... And that is worth an awful lot.

My stepson had drug related issues. We went through the process of multiple rehab type places and finally something similar to a boys ranch.

At the boys ranch type place they didn't focus on drugs. They focused on life skills.

He seems different now.

It became obvious to me early in the process that drugs were not really the issue. He would have found trouble even if drugs didn't exist.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
" His SAT scores were good enough; his grades weren't. "

Jerry always talks like Gregory's SATs are phenomenal. Don't you think the article would have mentioned that?

"Gregory picked up the Huskers' defense so fast that first season that he led the Big Ten with 10½ sacks."

This is a pretty good sign, though.

I hope the story has people cutting Gregory a little more slack. His anxiety issues don't sound made up. That's no joke stuff. "Rub some dirt on it" doesn't cut it.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
r470698_608x405cc.jpg

Despite the free fall, Gregory insisted on attending the draft in Chicago. Ken and Mary Gregory accompanied their son. He was the last one in the green room. At 9:09 p.m., as the first night of the draft wound down, Gregory sent a text to Cowboys coach Jason Garrett.

Gregory felt as if he had connected with the Cowboys. In the weeks before the draft, he had a heart-to-heart talk with owner Jerry Jones.

"He cried," Gregory says. "He said, 'I know what it's like to be publicly scrutinized.'"

Dallas selected him the following day in the second round, with the 60th overall pick. Gregory says the coaches printed out the text he'd sent Garrett on draft night and have reminded him about it over the years.

"... I learned from this," the text said. "I know players say things like this all the time, but with everything going on, I can really see how this can all go away in a minute. ... I know you can help me be great. Please believe in me!"

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...boys-randy-gregory-talks-being-real-bad-place

Ive been reading stories and artices on Gregory for some time and every one i read makes me root for this kid. hated this draft pick when it happed, i dont think i hated a draft pick this much since Greg Ellis, but that was because they passed on Moss. I know alot of people on here make jokes but this kid is smart and is the type of player this team needs. This is why i respect Jerry so much because he loves his payer like his own family.

superonyx

Reaction score
Kind of sad to he how he still fell hard in spite of his intentions.

Addiction and Mental heath are tough and lifetime struggles.

nobody

Reaction score
And yet the stuck with him and believed in him and he's finally coming around. It was hard work for a lot of people but will pay off and help turn a person's life around. That's a wonderful thing.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My stepson had drug related issues. We went through the process of multiple rehab type places and finally something similar to a boys ranch.

At the boys ranch type place they didn't focus on drugs. They focused on life skills.

He seems different now.

It became obvious to me early in the process that drugs were not really the issue. He would have found trouble even if drugs didn't exist.
As is the case with my son, there are underlying issues that contribute to the substance abuse. It has taken a long time, but he seems to be headed in the right direction.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Glad he's pulling his life together and hope he continues to get better both on and off the field. The haters can just die mad about it I guess.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

He seems different now.

I understand he may have some problems but the ONE thing he can't use to adapt and get by is marijuana...... that should have been crystal clear and I think that is what leads to most of the frustration

There are so many alternative treatment options both mental and pharmaceutical .... the continued reliance on marijuana shows me he was not serious about his "recovery" especially since it doesn't appear to be working anyways

Being a millionaire football player is his only track towards a happy life but he has so much talent that it would be a shame to throw it all away

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I know I'm going to take a lot of crap for this, but he grew up in a financially stable family, with both parents and a supportive father. That's way more than most NFL players got growing up. He needs to man up and be an adult.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I know I'm going to take a lot of crap for this, but he grew up in a financially stable family, with both parents and a supportive father. That's way more than most NFL players got growing up. He needs to man up and be an adult.

That's easy for you to say. It has nothing to do with "man up and be an adult." Their brains don't function that way. There are some misfires somewhere in their brains. My wife (who was bi-polar) went through multiple doctors, medications and therapists. Nothing worked. It got to the point to when she just turned to booze. Doesn't matter if you grew up with a financially stable family and supportive parents.

I grew up in a financially stable family and supportive parents.and I drink like a fish to take the pain away from other **** that happened in my life when I was a kid and adult.

Getting rid of the pain takes priority over, "man up and be an adult."

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Gregory. And I can identify with him probably more than he knows someone could.

When it comes down to it, though, if all he does is smoke, and it works for him, leave him alone. It's not him with the problem. It's the league.

One day we'll look back on that and see it.

That said, great article. I learned some things about Gregory that make me respect and like him even more.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...igukjtIRYFfH9C0uwvthS6ppj_Q9RbmrocPlSZFNzELZA

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Gregory. And I can identify with him probably more than he knows someone could.

When it comes down to it, though, if all he does is smoke, and it works for him, leave him alone. It's not him with the problem. It's the league.

One day we'll look back on that and see it.

That said, great article. I learned some things about Gregory that make me respect and like him even more.
It doesn't work for him...... that is the problem..... he keeps smoking and drinking and his life is getting worse and worse