Randy Gregory is an absolute monster right now

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
the key will be Gallimore
If he can push the pocket then we can have a great DL. If not, these same posters will be here telling us how much Gregory and DLaw are “being held” by OL as if none of the other DEs “get held”

Not sure. Lawrence has been able to get a good amount of pressure despite not getting much pressure from the DTs. Odighizuwa is applying better pressure from the 3-technique spot than we've gotten in years and Gregory is succeeding with that.

I think Lawrence's return alone is going to make this line pretty stout, if he comes off his injury strong, with Parsons adding that extra rusher element. That change alone would make us quite dangerous, but since you said "great," you may be right that it would take Gallimore also finding his groove to take us to that level. We might could be great with just the four pass rushers (including Parsons), but having another tackle who can't be regularly handled one-on-one would make that pass-rushing line difficult to handle. Hopefully, we see it play out that way. We haven't had an overall pass rush close to that since Ware, Canty, Bowen, Ratliff, Hatcher and Spencer.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not sure. Lawrence has been able to get a good amount of pressure despite not getting much pressure from the DTs. Odighizuwa is applying better pressure from the 3-technique spot than we've gotten in years and Gregory is succeeding with that.

I think Lawrence's return alone is going to make this line pretty stout, if he comes off his injury strong, with Parsons adding that extra rusher element. That change alone would make us quite dangerous, but since you said "great," you may be right that it would take Gallimore also finding his groove to take us to that level. We might could be great with just the four pass rushers (including Parsons), but having another tackle who can't be regularly handled one-on-one would make that pass-rushing line difficult to handle. Hopefully, we see it play out that way. We haven't had an overall pass rush close to that since Ware, Canty, Bowen, Ratliff, Hatcher and Spencer.

The truth is it’s very hard to get pressure up the middle.

Most of these QBs will just evade it anyways.

Dallas keeps blitzing Parsons right through the A gap and he’s yet to make an impact doing it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The truth is it’s very hard to get pressure up the middle.

Most of these QBs will just evade it anyways.

Dallas keeps blitzing Parsons right through the A gap and he’s yet to make an impact doing it.

Depends on how you define pressure. When the DTs are able to get penetration, it keeps the QB from being able to step into his throws and allows the DEs to get home because the QB can't just step up into the pocket. Middle pressure certainly doesn't always result in sacks, especially not for the DTs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Depends on how you define pressure. When the DTs are able to get penetration, it keeps the QB from being able to step into his throws and allows the DEs to get home because the QB can't just step up into the pocket. Middle pressure certainly doesn't always result in sacks, especially not for the DTs.

Pressure to me is disrupting the timing of when the QB wants to get the ball out.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Pressure to me is disrupting the timing of when the QB wants to get the ball out.

I don't necessarily define it that way. If you move the QB off his mark or keep him from being able to step up or into his throw, that's pressure. It's not just about timing, it's about space. A quarterback can throw on time, but not have enough room to follow through, so the throw is off the mark or doesn't have enough on it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't necessarily define it that way. If you move the QB off his mark or keep him from being able to step up or into his throw, that's pressure. It's not just about timing, it's about space. A quarterback can throw on time, but not have enough room to follow through, so the throw is off the mark or doesn't have enough on it.

I would argue that if you move him off his mark or keep him from being able to step up then you have messed up his timing.

He would be releasing it sooner or later than he wants in either scenario.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I would argue that if you move him off his mark or keep him from being able to step up then you have messed up his timing.

He would be releasing it sooner or later than he wants in either scenario.

That's fine. But if you believe that, then you have to also have seen that there have been lots of times when we've gotten middle pressure this year. I consider those times when Parsons rushes up the middle to push the pocket back into the QB's lap to be impact plays. Sometimes the QB makes good throws despite it, but it's still what we want to see from the inside rush.

There have been a lot of times in his career where Lawrence got around the tackle at end, but the QB just evaded his rush because he was able to step up into the pocket. If those middle guys can just push the pocket, the DEs will benefit from that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jaylon and now Jarwin kinda burned them. Even Zeke to some extent after 2 disappointing seasons.

Arguably Gregory burned them as well, but when he finally gets right and the league also changes its pot policy, we *don't* extend him?

When a player gets suspended, it voids his guarantees, right? Makes Gregory *less* of a risk than other players.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Arguably Gregory burned them as well, but when he finally gets right and the league also changes its pot policy, we *don't* extend him?

When a player gets suspended, it voids his guarantees, right? Makes Gregory *less* of a risk than other players.
So he's less of a risk because he might get suspended? That's kind of funny when you think about it. Unfortunately, players are being fined instead of suspended for pot, IIRC.

If given a big extension, I don't believe Gregory will disappoint. That's just my opinion.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s the bye week and I feel like this needs to be pointed out. I’m sure everyone knows it by now but it’s incredible what he is doing.

These QBs are getting rid of the ball quick or he would have a ton of sacks right now because he is shedding guys and closing on QBs quick.

Also he is great in the run game. The guy is just performing like an elite edge rusher.

He is easily this teams #1 FA priority this off-season and far and away our best DL.

If Lawrence is anything close to Gregory when he gets back then this defense is going to be nasty.
He has shown the last two years to be way more versatile than I though. We always new he could stand up, but he was looked at as a 7 gap rusher who could stand up in an 8 gap sometimes. He has been standing up alot since being reinstated and rushes like he was born to be a 3-4 OLB. That kind of versatility does alot for a defense

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
You played football though right?
I was a defensive end in high school. Said before I graduated with Joe Galloway.
So you were a Bellaire High School graduate? Used to listen to games on radio of them back in the day in the Ohio Valley. High octane offenses. Brooke High School fan here though. Go Bruins!