Video: Randy Gregory will finally fulfill his potential this season

Techsass

Reaction score
The defensive staff made a huge mistake last year by now allowing Randy Gregory to be allotted the reps to distinguish himself as starting material at DE. Now that Dan Quinn has been hired, Randy will finally be given the opportunity he deserves. At long last, the defense has wised up. o_O
What the heck were they doing giving Armstrong more plays than Gregory? I'm still confused by last season's whole defensive strategy.

ghst187

Reaction score
Yeah. LT used cocaine. I honestly think Gregory would have been an All Pro by now if it wasn't for the suspensions.

yeah don’t disagree, of course we couldn’t have afforded to keep him

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Let’s hope it doesn’t take Kelvin Joseph 7 seasons to realize his potential.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I don’t like Mike Fisher. He’s likes to start **** and make claims that are far from the truth.. just so he can stay relevant. Him suggesting this was all on Mike McCarthy is crap. Yeah, he’s the HC, but everyone is aware that Mike Nolan totally fubarred the defense, that includes playing time. I mean, Nolan gave Anae 6 snaps all season and kept rolling out Armstrong. Mike Nolan is the blame for all things defense.. that’s why he’s gone!

That said, the only truth Fisher spoke of..is that Gregory didn’t play enough. There’s other reason besides the obvious Nolan debacle. Gregory fresh off suspension and not much playing time in his career.. maybe they were trying to ease him back in to avoid injury. They had just shipped off the other “starter” named Everson Griffin. They definitely didn’t need to lose Gregory by pushing him too early. So who did they lean on.. oh yeah, Armstrong. Unfortunately, by seasons end.. I believe Mike Nolan gave up on this team. Hell, his players certainly gave up on him.

My point is.. what could have gone wrong, certainly did last season. This is definitely a prove it year for lot of players on this team.. that includes McCarthy and Gregory. I for one, believe this defense is about to surprise a lot of people. Maybe not top five.. but top ten isn’t out of reach. If this offense controls the clock like they’ve proven they can, Dan Quinn’s defense only needs to make a few stops and/or collect a few more turnovers to make a huge difference statistically.

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I don’t like Mike Fisher. He’s likes to start **** and make claims that are far from the truth.. just so he can stay relevant. Him suggesting this was all on Mike McCarthy is crap. Yeah, he’s the HC, but everyone is aware that Mike Nolan totally fubarred the defense, that includes playing time. I mean, Nolan gave Anae 6 snaps all season and kept rolling out Armstrong. Mike Nolan is the blame for all things defense.. that’s why he’s gone!

That said, the only truth Fisher spoke of..is that Gregory didn’t play enough. There’s other reason besides the obvious Nolan debacle. Gregory fresh off suspension and not much playing time in his career.. maybe they were trying to ease him back in to avoid injury. They had just shipped off the other “starter” named Everson Griffin. They definitely didn’t need to lose Gregory by pushing him too early. So who did they lean on.. oh yeah, Armstrong. Unfortunately, by seasons end.. I believe Mike Nolan gave up on this team. Hell, his players certainly gave up on him.

My point is.. what could have gone wrong, certainly did last season. This is definitely a prove it year for lot of players on this team.. that includes McCarthy and Gregory. I for one, believe this defense is about to surprise a lot of people. Maybe not top five.. but top ten isn’t out of reach. If this offense controls the clock like they’ve proven they can, these defense only needs to make a few stops and/or collect a few for turnovers to make a huge difference statistically.

I really liked watching the titans those years when fisher had young, haynesworth, finnegan etc. Those were abnormal games that were fun to watch

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The defensive staff made a huge mistake last year by now allowing Randy Gregory to be allotted the reps to distinguish himself as starting material at DE. Now that Dan Quinn has been hired, Randy will finally be given the opportunity he deserves. At long last, the defense has wised up. o_O

CORRECTION: I meant to say the defensive staff made a huge mistake last by NOT allowing Randy Gregory to be allotted the reps to distinguish himself as starting material at DE. Now that Dan Quinn has been hired, Randy will finally be given the opportunity he deserves. At long last the defense has wised up. o_O

Oops! (Sorry for the typo, folks!) I'm hoping most of you already figured out what I meant to say. Thanks.) :oops:

Last edited:

Knotamus

Reaction score
I really liked watching the titans those years when fisher had young, haynesworth, finnegan etc. Those were abnormal games that were fun to watch
I’m not sure if your messing with me or not, but I suppose you know that was Jeff Fisher of the Titans.. not Mike Fisher the sports journalist, right?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I’m not sure if your messing with me or not, but I suppose you know that was Jeff Fisher of the Titans.. not Mike Fisher the sports journalist, right?

no i wasn't messing with you. I don't know who mike fisher is. I saw fisher and just assumed jeff fisher was an analyst or something now

Knotamus

Reaction score
no i wasn't messing with you. I don't know who mike fisher is. I saw fisher and just assumed jeff fisher was an analyst or something now
Well, be thankful..

Mike Fisher is a Dallas area pompous sports journalist that likes to throw stuff at the wall for “click bait” reasons (exp this time of the year).. not worth investing anymore time explaining who he is tho..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What the heck were they doing giving Armstrong more plays than Gregory? I'm still confused by last season's whole defensive strategy.

The best I can make of it is that Nolan didn't have any realistic idea of the players involved in that mess. :cool:

I think they've finally figured it do now -- last year was a messed up affair, all around. Glad it's over with. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing Randy finally getting a chance to distinguish himself as a DE, now!

I'm hoping this goes well for all concerned. It's been a very long battle for Randy and us, too. ;)

I really hope that Randy appreciates how the Dallas FO supported him, as well as his fans, also!

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Doesn't matter, it was against the rules.

It makes me curious about those who defend Gregory choosing marijuana over football. Do they also willingly break their bosses' rules, and if they do, then I would not want them as an employee.

Even if you believed you needed a "medicine" to help you that your bosses said you are not allowed because it's illegal and will get you fired, there are legal means of getting you the help you need.

Gregory smoked the ganja because he wanted to smoke the ganja and he wouldn't give it up even to save his job. I like the player, but I don't see a reason to sugarcoat the truth. It took the NFL changing its rule about the drug for Gregory to have a career because he was unable to overcome his addiction for his job.

plasticman

Reaction score
I'm glad he has this opportunity too, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying let's not portray him as someone that was wronged by the system. Also, let's not treat him as though he overcame some challenging life obstacle.

I could let it go if Gregory had been suspended once. I mean, the consequences were made clear, were they not? How many more times? We still have no proof that this wouldn't have continued if they still tested for marijuana. Therefore, it's a legitimate question to ask if he changed or was it the league that changed?

What really runs through my mind is what the Cowboys could have been if Gregory had never been suspended.

In 2016, Dak and Zeke's rookie seasons, Gregory was in his 2nd season, you know, the one where a player makes his greatest leap? Except, Gregory was suspended the first 14 games. he was suspended 4 games for failing a test, then suspended an additional 10 games for failing another test.

Gregory played in the last game of 2016 and actually recorded a sack. However, after failing his 3rd test he was suspended from the playoffs as well as the following season.

The 2016 playoffs....against the Green Bay Packers.

The game was tied with 35 seconds left when Rodgers made that spectacular throw.

I mean, you have to wonder how different that play...that game....that postseason might have gone if Gregory had been in there that whole season with the other DE's Lawrence and Irving. Could Rodgers have made that escape and thrown that pass if Gregory had been in his face?

A game that close...just one additional big play and the Cowboy would have played in their first NFC championship in over 20 years.

What about the 2017 season? That was Lawrence's best season, 14.5 sacks. Now imagine what it would have looked like with a bookend pair of that quality. The Cowboys went 9-7 that season, a lot of close games. The chance for a wildcard went all the way down to the last game, but they couldn't do it.

Perhaps Gregory would have made a difference. Perhaps he would have made a profound difference. Would he have made a difference in the contract negotiations with T-Law as potential leverage? This season Lawrence is supposed to count $25 million against the cap.

I'm not hating on him, I'm just saying it like it is. Randy Gregory has some making up to do, he needs to live up to all the hype, I really hope he does.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
It makes me curious about those who defend Gregory choosing marijuana over football. Do they also willingly break their bosses' rules, and if they do, then I would not want them as an employee.

Even if you believed you needed a "medicine" to help you that your bosses said you are not allowed because it's illegal and will get you fired, there are legal means of getting you the help you need.

Gregory smoked the ganja because he wanted to smoke the ganja and he wouldn't give it up even to save his job. I like the player, but I don't see a reason to sugarcoat the truth. It took the NFL changing its rule about the drug for Gregory to have a career because he was unable to overcome his addiction for his job.
He smokes medicinal marijuana along side therapy to help combat mental health issues... Not for fun, not to be a rebel, not to go against the system.

The fact that yall accept players quickly killing themselves with pain killers and antidepressants, instead of finding healthier options is mind boggling to me.

The vast benefits of Marijuana are still being researched and it's about to be legal nationwide... whether yall like it or not.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Randy Gregory needs to show up this year and have solid 17 games season. Other wise he is just another drug addict on a long list of guys that had potential. He is lucky he has had this many chances and this is should be the last one. He needs lifetime ban if he cant stay clean.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregory needs to show up this year and have solid 17 games season. Other wise he is just another drug addict on a long list of guys that had potential. He is lucky he has had this many chances and this is should be the last one. He needs lifetime ban if he cant stay clean.

The NFL pretty much just legalized weed. So Randy should be fine.