FEATURED Rapoport: Cowboys have agreed to terms with McCarthy to be next head coach

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I'd rather have anyone with upside then a guy that is a status quo hire.
I'm the kind of guy that when I go car shopping, I always think I overpaid for the car because they were willing to sell it to me. The same applies to a coaching hire here, I think. If a coach is willing to accept the HC position in Big D, he must be a puppet...JJ only hires puppets/non puppets wouldn't work for JJ. That logic isn't very sensible/healthy, but that's the way it seems to be. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Sydla

Reaction score
What terrible news. Literally the WORST hire they could have possibly made. This ensures a string of 7 or 8 win seasons to come.

Keeping Garrett would have been a better move. That's how WRONG Jerry got this one.

Green Bay fans couldn't wait to be rid of this clown. They improved by 5 or 6 wins the moment he was let go.

At this point, we might as well just do it cheap and let Amari and Dak walk. Because we aren't winning **** with this clown. If we are gonna lose, might as well lose cheap.

I immediately question the intelligence of any fan who tries to argue that McCarthy is no better, or actually worse, than Jason Garrett.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
He has a history of success in this league, which is promising. But I definitely dislike some of the stuff that came out following his dismissal from Green Bay.

true although most came from Rodgers iirc and his family won't even talk to him

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I like that he's more old school yet saw how important just understanding data is in the NFL, it helps to create and take advantage of matchups.

I need to see who the DC is before I make a final judgment.
And who'll call plays.

bysbox1

Reaction score
A few things here.

• This was a quick hire. Aside from Garrett, I have never seen Jerry hire this fast. The Joneses may have thought McCarthy won't be on the open market long. He interviewed with the Giants and he was supposed to interview with NC and Cleveland. Normally Jerry takes his time with coaches. So there's that.
  • This feels more like a Stephen hire than a Jerry hire. I heard McCarthy stayed at Jerry's compound on Saturday, but this is not the normal Jerry hires we are used to.
  • We don't know what went on in the interview or how much McCarthy has changed over the last year. He may have changed a lot as a result of his "McCarthy Project." He may have totally updated and grown from his one year experience. I guess we will soon find out.
  • Garrett was not big on analytics. It's been known Garrett's system was pretty archaic, which was a dumb move on his part. Analytics are a huge part of the current successful teams: KC, San Fran, Baltimore, New England all have extensive analytics departments. Dallas appears to want to move in that direction. Maybe McCarthy's plan for analytics impressed the Joneses.
  • I have a feeling you will see Marvin Lewis rolled out as DC about the same time as McCarthy is rolled out as the new HC.
  • I also have a feeling Moore will get demoted back to QB coach if he wants to stay. Columbo may be gone. Kitna may stay but in some other capacity. The WCO is pretty complicated from scheme to blocking and needs a staff that is familiar with it.

I will take a wait and see approach. I'm not against the hire, and I think it's a huge upgrade from Garrett. But there are a lot of unknowns and since we weren't in the interviews it's hard to say how much McCarthy has changed and grown.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Ask yourself this -

When has mccarthy had a top defense or a legit running game. Who was the last great GB running back you remember.

Yes he had rodgers, but at times he ONLY had rodgers and really nothing else. He still made the playoffs 9 of 13 years. How can you not take that? He's an upgrade over garret anyday of the week.

This guy walks in right away and commands respect of the players because of that ring on his finger. It doesn't matter how he got it, he's proven.

Did McCarthy have a say in drafting players?

Londonboy

Reaction score
ENm8H7uUwAAnNN9

MDFA

Making
Dallas
Fat
Again
Maybe He will like bigger DT's

Big_D

Reaction score
some still under the impression Garrett is just as good. That’s hilarious!! Go back to comparing him to the Belichick Cleveland years! McCarthy is light years better than Jason Garrett. Decade sample size isn’t big enough!? lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
I read an piece on McCarthy last week that said he'd spent the last year doing intensive research on all the NFL team scheme evolutions and how they were being implemented.
He admitted his schemes had grown stale and used the year to get fully updated.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
nailed me there. it is a "meh" but better than garrett. wanting someone other than garrett doesn't mean you don't have preferences just the same.

so "meh" - better than garrett but we'll see if the end result is any different.

I feel the same way.

But, dude needs time.

links18

Reaction score
I immediately question the intelligence of any fan who tries to argue that McCarthy is no better, or actually worse, than Jason Garrett.

He may be better than Garrett, but that isn't saying much. Concern is that if Jerry hired him, he must be a yes man puppet too. We will see, I guess. But I am somewhat dismayed that there wasn't a wider search. If Moore stays as OC, I think that will be telling.

bysbox1

Reaction score
And who'll call plays.

Yes. I though McCarthy called his own plays in GB, but either way he used to script his first 15 or so plays.

Of course he may get away from scripting plays as a result of his analytics work.