FEATURED Rapoport: Cowboys have agreed to terms with McCarthy to be next head coach

kumizi

Reaction score
Touché. I didn’t know that. But it seems he’s not liked by many in rodgers. Maybe it’s saying something why McCarthy was let go
All other NFC North fanbases were sad when McCarthy was fired. They could call out which plays the Packers were going to run presnap. They ran the same thing for almost a decade.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Witten and Lee could learn a few things about coaching from McCarthy. I hope they are both onboard.

Reactions: CWR

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You know the QB doesnt design the plays, right? He picks/audibles from a list of plays.
Okay, but does it make Mike a predictable play caller when someone else is changing the plays?
That would kind of make... Aaron a predictable play caller himself, wouldn't it?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
His situational coaching will be a instant improvement. Will likely get us 2 more wins per year. Which would have been enough to get us to the playoffs this year.
Sure, I think he is that much better than JG to get more than 2 extra wins, probably more like 4.
The thing where mike and other good or decent coaches falter is in the playoffs.
I think for sure dallas makes playoffs his first season, but the big question will be how will he do in the playoffs.

JG did more than falter in playoffs, he would blow the div game big time, but with mike I could see them getting past div round.
getting to SB or winning SB is a maybe.

kumizi

Reaction score
Okay, but does it make Mike a predictable play caller when someone else is changing the plays?
That would kind of make... Aaron a predictable play caller himself, wouldn't it?
uhhh because they ran the same plays for almost a decade

i get you want to like this move but i'm not sure what you're trying to argue

Green Bay was predictable. Are you trying to argue it was Aaron Rogers fault and he was holding Mike McCarthy back? cause that's certainly an interesting take

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
uhhh because they ran the same plays for almost a decade

i get you want to like this move but i'm not sure what you're trying to argue

Green Bay was predictable. Are you trying to argue it was Aaron Rogers fault and he was holding Mike McCarthy back? cause that's certainly an interesting take
Let's be real here:
Most teams have the same plays. It's how they roll them out in situations.
It can't be Mike being predictable because he wasn't the true play caller nearly half the time.
Aaron could have called something perfect to throw a D off-guard.
Mike might have and Aaron ruined it.
And vice-versa.

When you have multiple voices calling the O, you can't truly blame the guy they call "play caller".
It's just not as simple as what you're trying to make it out to be.

links18

Reaction score
I stated in an earlier post that when I go car shopping, I always feel like I overpaid because the dealer was willing to sell me a car. In this case, "If Jerry hired him, he must be a puppet". By that logic, I'd have to take a bus or walk everywhere I go and the Cowboys would only hire a coach destined to fail. I'll take the optimistic approach and give him a chance to see what he can do. His coordinators will have a huge bearing on his chances. I'm very anxious to see how the remainder of the staff gets filled.

You can look at that way, but I would like to have seen more of a "no rock unturned" approach to turning this ship around, rather than hiring the first coached interviewed. How much interest was McCarthy getting from other teams?

Oneiros

Reaction score
Does anyone see any parallels with Andy Reid to the Chiefs? Experienced coach, SB/playoff experience, winning track record, playcallers etc.. Can someone remind me why Andy Reid was let go from Philly? My point is sometimes a new environment/challenge can be good. Thoughts?
I can definitely see the parallels there. Sometimes you just simply need a change of scenery and I'm hoping that coming here after a year off is just what Mike needed.

The desire to come back and coach definitely seems to be there.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Does anyone see any parallels with Andy Reid to the Chiefs? Experienced coach, SB/playoff experience, winning track record, playcallers etc.. Can someone remind me why Andy Reid was let go from Philly? My point is sometimes a new environment/challenge can be good. Thoughts?

This is exactly what I’m hoping for.

The same criticisms Packers fans made about McCarthy, the eagles fans were doing with Andy Reid. And Reid has been just as successful with the Chiefs. And a lot of those seasons with success with the chiefs were with Alex Smith as his QB.