FEATURED Rapoport: Cowboys have agreed to terms with McCarthy to be next head coach

Swagger

Reaction score
Those are some really solid points. I hadn’t thought of it from that angle, but you’re right. McCarthy has zero reason to take a puppet job.

It’s reminiscent of the Parcells hire in that regard. Hopefully, like Parcells, McCarthy will be able to keep some of Jerry’s worst impulses in check.

How about because Jerry offered him the most money (if the case) and was he really in demand?

I'm genuinely interested to know what was McCarthy's record without Rodgers at QB?

Reid, Tomlin and Payton all have strong records when working with leftovers whilst McCarthy...was probably too busy enjoying a back massage during a team meeting!

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
How about because Jerry offered him the most money (if the case) and was he really in demand?

I'm genuinely interested to know what was McCarthy's record without Rodgers at QB?

Reid, Tomlin and Payton all have strong records when working with leftovers whilst McCarthy...was probably too busy enjoying a back massage during a team meeting!
Well I know one game he won with a backup QB and that was down 26-3

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes I like it because I just can't convince myself that an established Super Bowl winning Head Coach with so many teams interested in him decided to take a powerless puppet job in Dallas one week after the season ended. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know to what degree but Jerry made some concessions to get him here. That's the only logical conclusion to land a guy as accomplished and in demand as McCarthy.
Glazer says that Jerry gave McCarthy control over his coaching hires. I believe there may be some concession in Jones, but only because I believe Glazer is one of the best. If Jerry is going to change, it's now. We'll see, of course.

HotDog37

Reaction score
Yeah, but other teams actually value the backup QB position. He won't be able to do that here if our starter goes out.

You can expect that philosophy to change if Jerry actually allows McCarthy to bring in his personnel and WCO (and overall) football philosophy. In that system you keep a ready "stable" of quarterbacks in the wings. They don't have to be the best but you develop what you do have properly in the wings. We'll see. I hope that happens and that actually does change where the "anointing" and "one and done stop shopping" stops and we start to address players as "football players" instead of "Family". Even what we have now McCarthy can develop into game readiness. You'll see the difference in the team structure soon after the draft. Again, that is if Jerry will allow McCarthy to make those changes along with the other coaches who will have the same mindset. Very unlike Jason Garrett and what Jones had running with Garrett where nothing was properly developed at all.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nolan ryan as DC. What y’all think..

LOVE IT!!!

I was so sick of watching Rod's defense get abused every week........how many times do backups look like All-pros against this defense.:facepalm:

And the old relic is finally out of the draft room, I was so sick and tired of him drafting busts after busts and saying "hey stud".:mad:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
th
A Super Bowl HC and Puppet.

Dream coach for Jerry. Even sleeps over. Lol

Nothing to stop us now. I expect Super Bowl this year.

McCarthy aint no puppet, word is he got full control over the coaching staff......gave no concessions, something you said Jerry would never do.

As far as results go, the bar is not very high thanks to Garrett. It took him 10 years to win 2 Wildcard games, so that is an average of 1 Wildcard win every 5 years. I am pretty sure Big Mike can beat that mark, dont you;)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
All other NFC North fanbases were sad when McCarthy was fired. They could call out which plays the Packers were going to run presnap. They ran the same thing for almost a decade.

And yet during that same time frame the Packers won the division 6 times:huh:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
uhhh because they ran the same plays for almost a decade

i get you want to like this move but i'm not sure what you're trying to argue

Green Bay was predictable. Are you trying to argue it was Aaron Rogers fault and he was holding Mike McCarthy back? cause that's certainly an interesting take

I guess what is confusing all of us is that you say the other teams in the NFC North were all happy to see him go because his plays were so predictable, yet Green Bay still won the division the vast majority of the time?

So why were the division rivals happy to see McCarthy leave when the Packers still won the division almost every year, despite the predictable play calling?

We are all having a hard time following your logic here, why would the division rivals care when they still lost the division most years:huh:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Don’t know if you’re serious are not because you usually aren’t, but Jerry said as much after the Philly game that his way wasn’t working and it was time for him to change. Jerry speak, but he said it.

Exactly, Jerry finally decided to change some of his ways. It is reported that McCarthy made no concessions on his staff, he has full control. You dont get that if you are a puppet.

Plus, other teams were calling McCarthy including the Giants who wanted a second interview but were too late. So this notion that he was desperate and would take the job under any conditions is crap, he had other options and other teams that were interested in him.

This is why I was rooting for losses with Garrett, I dont care if you called me a hater or a troll, I knew the only way we would get a legit HC like McCarthy was if Garrett was gone and the only way to get Garrett out was missing the playoffs. So yeah, I happy as can be right now that we lost to Philly's practice squad.:D

Austin 3-16

Reaction score
I guess it's par for the course from the same people who kept Garrett for that long.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Mike McCarthy is truly not a puppet. We should be a different team next year. We have over 30 free agents, McCarthy is a West Coast offensive coach, Nolan is more of a 3/4 attacking defense and the Garrett guys will either retire or fade in the background. Good or bad the Cowboys will be able to tell if this is McCarthy's baby or the Joneses.

Paradox

Reaction score
I don't hate McCarthy but his ring means about as much as Garrett's would have if he had managed to stay out of the way and win the big game. The year he won the Super Bowl, Rodgers had a practically flawless second half of a season.

I loathe Rodgers more than most people, but nobody could deny that he "woke up" and molded himself into something of a legend for the next half season. He became just the third player to pass for 1000 yards in the post season that year.

And stayed awake to win MVP in 2011. But something funny happened. The 2011 Packers became the only team in NFL history to go 15–1 and not win a playoff game! Why? His receivers dropped six passes. His defense had 37 points dropped on them. Coaching problems when it mattered most!

I am not optimistic about this teams chances to win the big one. We don't have an MVP caliber quarterback to overcome a McCarthy or a Garrett. Welcome to five more years of mediocrity, Cowboys fans!