Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys Hope to Reach Extensions with Amari and Dak this offseason

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Please Lord give me strength.
Give us all strength. Only the cowboys would reward a qb whose career is trending in the wrong direction, can’t analyze a play, struggles to throw ten yards, and needs everything around him to work to play at a mediocre level. They need to look into extending Cooper after giving up a first but then again like Dak said he doesn’t need a number one WR......

lk8701

Reaction score
They aren’t going to do this Ike. You know it, I know it. Everyone knows it.

There’s no chance in hell they purposefully Tank an entire season.

I know. The mostly likely result is that Dak and JG stay for another 5 years and the Cowboys will average a .500 record during that span.

Dodger12

Reaction score
If they extend Dak as a franchise QB and not have performance standards to be met for higher pay scales, they are nuts and will set the franchise back for years.

It won't set Jerry back at all. It's all about relevance in his world. 8 and 8 or 9 and 7 works while we're in the "hunt" for the playoffs and the money keeps rolling in. Then he pumps sunshine in the off-season while the masses buy it, giving them hope for the new season. Wash, rinse and repeat. It's been a winner thus far so why change?

Giving Dak a long term contract with his limitations is insane. If he progresses the remainder of this season and next, then so be it. But the biggest sin, at least to me, is that we have a defense on the cusp of being really, really good. Get a quality safety and this D can be the best in the league. And it will all be wasted while we have an average Joe at the most important position on the field.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't expect us to sign Cooper is a fool. We invested in him with a 1st, and he has so far proven he is worth his weight.... in some ways, hopefully he isn't as productive as he was in the Commanders game the rest of the season or we are looking at an OBJ like contract.

Dak is an interesting figure here, I expect him to get signed, but I don't anticipate a 5-6 year contract. I would expect a 3 year deal which is mostly guaranteed that sure's up the short-term future of the franchise - something like 3 years, 60mn, and gives him the opportunity to secure 2 more long-term contracts if he gets to the next level.... though, I also wouldn't be shocked to see Jerry double down and give him a 7 year 150mn+ contract

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak and Amari have five more games this season, continue improving and get us a playoff win......I can see it. As long as they dont pay Dak like a top tier QB!
Lose a few games and miss the playoffs.....make him play it out.
The FO has a lot more leverage if they get the contract done this off season, I just hope they use it and not pay crazy money and especially crazy guaranteed money. We need to be able to cut him if he regresses.
Cooper, I'm good with.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Amari 100% makes sense and we all knew it was coming the day the trade was made

I really don’t want them to extend Dak this off season. They have another year under contract. No need to rush into a decision. See if he is able to improve before locking him up.

But it seems inevitable at this point.
What if Dak's contract is team friendly? If you wait another year he could cost more. Interesting that they did not say anything about Zeke or DLaw.

Dodger12

Reaction score
What is Dak's contract is team friendly? If you wait another year he could cost more. Interesting that they did not say anything about Zeke or DLaw.

So what if he costs more if he proves to be a franchise QB? Trying to go cheap with a guy who hasn't proven he can play the position at a high level or carry the team without Zeke is just a waste of money and years and will set the franchise back. If a QB is the one, pay him. But we can do better than Dak......

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
What if Dak's contract is team friendly? If you wait another year he could cost more. Interesting that they did not say anything about Zeke or DLaw.
Zeke will get his due. I'm sure those negotiations are ongoing and intense, he clearly is worthy of being the top paid RB in the league, but where do we set the market? He will want more than Gurley, (14.3mn a year in salary & $5.5mn in guaranteed money per year), he will likely be eyeing $16-17mn in salary with 50% of it guaranteed.

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/

D-Law's omission is a bit more surprising. I'm expecting those negotiations aren't going so well, his camp likely wants to break the market and get a 100mn+ contract for a DE, I would if I were his agent, but will we pull the trigger? Are we going to put him on the franchise tag for another season? Will he hold-out?

Cooper being re-signed is obvious given the investment in him and his production thus far, and you always have to show faith in your QB in public.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
So what if he costs more if he proves to be a franchise QB? Trying to go cheap with a guy who hasn't proven he can play the position at a high level or carry the team without Zeke is just a waste of money and years and will set the franchise back. If a QB is the one, pay him. But we can do better than Dak......
JAG stop-gaps are getting 20mn+ a season.

It all depends on what his team wants.

If they're willing to do 3 years, 60mn, 80% guaranteed, we're fools not to do it... and why would they want that? If he brings it to the next level, he has the opportunity to get 2 large 100mn+ contracts over the next decade+.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I ike Dak's improved game play over the past few weeks. I like the three game winning streak, etc, but Dak is not the Cowboys, or anyone else's franchise starting QB. Turn Dak loose to the free market and watch what happens!!! He'll end up another teams backup and I guarantee you that!

Dodger12

Reaction score
JAG stop-gaps are getting 20mn+ a season.

It all depends on what his team wants.

If they're willing to do 3 years, 60mn, 80% guaranteed, we're fools not to do it... and why would they want that? If he brings it to the next level, he has the opportunity to get 2 large 100mn+ contracts over the next decade+.

I doubt Dak or his agent will do a 3 year contract. But then the question is why even do it at all? You can still have him for another year on his rookie contract. My gut tells me that the season will play itself out and these questions will probably be answered but I have very little faith in the GM.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I doubt Dak or his agent will do a 3 year contract. But then the question is why even do it at all? You can still have him for another year on his rookie contract. My gut tells me that the season will play itself out and these questions will probably be answered but I have very little faith in the GM.
To keep the drama out of the headlines, to secure the short-term future; for Dak, to secure his finances for life, keep in mind he is on a 4th rounder contract.