Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys Hope to Reach Extensions with Amari and Dak this offseason

Brax

Reaction score
I think Jerry needs to rethink dak. I understand getting caught up in the "emotional now" moment but we could do so much better offensively with a better passer.
Jerry will extend Dak, Jerry recently said that he knows Dak is really good because everyone else says he isn't good, that's Jerry's mentality. Jerry has repeatedly said how great Dak is, he isn't going to back down or admit he was wrong, setting the franchise back for another 5 years of mediocrity is no problem what's 5 years on top of the last 22 years. Unfortunately many here live in a dream world and believe the cowboys are SB bound every-time they win a few game and make up all kinds of excuses when they loose just like Jerry. After Dak throws a few more in the turf under-throws or overthrows wide open receivers these folks will give us 1000 excuses why it isn't Daks fault, also (key phrase is) "remember 2016" . Get use to it Dak will be signed for 5-6 for a lot of money and Jerry will be crowing Superbowl every year but 8-8 will still be the norm. Shame Dallas finally appears to have a decent D but has a QB who can't get it done by himself.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Seems like an odd assumption, given that three of the last four years under Garrett have been nothing close to those middling records.
Really? Last year was 9-7 and really was 8-8. If you want to say two years out of Garrett's 9 that he didn't have middling records then fine. Of course his middling coaching came though big time in the playoffs.

Dodger12

Reaction score
To keep the drama out of the headlines, to secure the short-term future; for Dak, to secure his finances for life, keep in mind he is on a 4th rounder contract.

None of which really matter unless you've got a proven long term guy. That's not Dak. DLaw is playing at a Pro-Bowl level and is better at his position than Dak is at his and and we franchised him.

Either way, it's possible that Jerry is pumping sunshine at Dak in hopes that it elevates his play. We're 6 and 5 and in the hunt for a playoff spot because the East has been bad this year. Otherwise, the conversation would be much different.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They both have another year so there is no pressure or extreme leverage

ACooper gets 5/57m that can go to 75m
Dak gets 6/108m with 55m gtd

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper's a no brainer. They have to be careful how much they give Dak. No way should he be paid franchise QB money based on what he's done so far.

The years invested is just as damaging as the money.

Extend that bum and you have decided to waste more years trying to win something with a fake GM, a weak head coach and a terrible QB.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
why does Dallas even leak crap like this during the season? everyone on earth knows that they want Amari - why else give up a first rounder for him...so why bring up an under-achieving Dak??
donkey-carrot1.jpg

TheHerd

Reaction score
They both have another year so there is no pressure or extreme leverage

ACooper gets 5/57m that can go to 75m
Dak gets 6/108m with 55m gtd
I'd love both of those.

But why would Cooper agree to that? He's basically giving up pro bowl numbers to agree to stay with this team. He has all the leverage.

And I see very low odds Dak ages to 17M / yr. Wouldn't that put him close to the lowest paid 2nd contract QB?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I'd love both of those.

But why would Cooper agree to that? He's basically giving up pro bowl numbers to agree to stay with this team. He had all the leverage.

And I see very low odds Dak ages to 17M / yr. Wouldn't that put him closer to the lowest paid 2nd contract QB?
Cooper had all the leverage the minute we gave a #1 for him.

Eanwen

Reaction score
like most people said I'm for Cooper being extended but not Dak, but if they do extend Dak they should go all in and get him a great TE, and maybe another receiver if Beasley walks.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
like most people said I'm for Cooper being extended but not Dak, but if they do extend Dak they should go all in and get him a great TE, and maybe another receiver if Beasley walks.
I can't believe the FO thought they were helping Dak by giving him scrub receivers. Don't know how that makes the offense Dak friendly.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Prescott's passer rating

First 12 career games (2016) 108.3
next 8 games (2016-17) 92.3
next 8 games (2017) 85.5
next 8 games (2017-18) 80.8
last 8 games (2018) 99.6

That last sample needs to be bigger and better.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Amari 100% makes sense and we all knew it was coming the day the trade was made

I really don’t want them to extend Dak this off season. They have another year under contract. No need to rush into a decision. See if he is able to improve before locking him up.

But it seems inevitable at this point.

Absolutely agree 100%. Still too early on Dak. Let him play the rookie contract out then make your decision. I hope Jerruh doesn’t max him out. I wonder if Dak can hold out next year if they didn’t restructure his contract and decided to let him play his last year out?