Twitter: Rapoport: Garrett and Cowboys headed toward divorce

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think we’re losing out and no playoffs.

The bigger question is why doesn’t Jerry fire him?

Good question.............my guess is the old drunk doesn't have the stones to do it.

Firing Garrett would be an admission of failure of epic proportions, so he is going to hold onto to any sliver of hope he can that he doesn't have to do it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Of course the time has come and passed.

The fact Jerry doesn’t tells us more about our situation than most want to admit.

Very true...........I got to give you props Diehard, you have been right about this.

I really didnt think Jerry was this emotionally tied to Garrett as it seems he is. The realization that he is going to have to get rid of Garrett is so distressing to him that he is going on the radio and cussing like a sailor, slurring his words while cussing thus giving the indication that he may in fact be intoxicated or at least somewhat buzzed, and crying like a baby in front of the cameras after games, rambling on about believing in redemption, its seriously disturbing to watch.

My minor at University of Texas was in Psychology, so I had to read a lot of books about Freud, Jung, Skinner, all the big names in the field and psycho-analysis and behaviorism, ect.....well I can honestly tell you that Jerry has all the signs of a classic clinical break down. From erratic behavior that swings from emotional lows (like crying uncontrollably) to the highest highs (redemption and doing spectacular things people will talk about 30 yrs from now) to extreme irritability and agitation (cussing on radio) and finally losing grasp of reality or believing in a reality that doesn't exist (such as saying Garrett is our only chance or if we just win a game it will all work out)......Its kinda like manic depression bipolar mixed with elements of dementia, very disturbing stuff and I am being very serious here, I not joking around.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It shouldn’t matter. You cut out the Lame Duck. The season is over if not. Probably is anyway which is just more reason to let him go.

And anyone currently on staff can multi task for 3 games.

Jerry is not keeping Garrett to help the team, he is keeping Garrett to help himself. Like my post above describes, Jerry is highly emotionally attached to Garrett and he just cant bring himself to fire him. So, he tells himself that if he lets Garrett's contract expire that he didnt fire him, they just decided to take a new direction. Sure, the end result is the same but the emotional result is vastly, vastly different.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Mehh, the current staff is the reason we have a losing record. The playoffs are a brand new season and this (undisciplined, unmotivated) team (with horrible special teams) has a lot of talent and could conceivably do something in the playoffs. Highly unlikely but it could still happen.

I just want us to finish the season with the second worse embarrassment, the worst would be if a team loses to us after we end up being the fifth team to ever make the playoffs with a losing record.

Can you imagine being Seattle or San Fran at 12-4 and you lose in the first round to a 7-9 Cowboys team, talk about humiliation:laugh:

Flamma

Reaction score
If Philly beats us, they got tiebreak on us due to common opponent record, so they just need to finish with same record as us and we are out.

Not in every scenario. Division tie breaker is before common opponent. There are multiple paths where Dallas could win the division with the same record as Philly. Even with them beating us.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
You are correct....if the Eagles beat the Giants tomorrow and the Skins next week, and we lose to Rams, then Philly beats us and clinches East.

I don’t get how anyone can actually root for this outcome. Yeah, I’d rather pick at 10 than 25, but what if the Eagles catch fire and get to another Super Bowl? Is that worth picking 15 picks higher?

I don’t care how bad we are, I want to win the NFC East.

The New York Times still has us at 68% favorites to win it and the Eagles at 32%.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry is not keeping Garrett to help the team, he is keeping Garrett to help himself. Like my post above describes, Jerry is highly emotionally attached to Garrett and he just cant bring himself to fire him. So, he tells himself that if he lets Garrett's contract expire that he didnt fire him, they just decided to take a new direction. Sure, the end result is the same but the emotional result is vastly, vastly different.
That’s part of it. Jerry doesn't wasn’t to let Jason go and is holding onto hope this will turn around so he can save face and not have to move on. The last thing Jerry wants is to move on and have to bring in another HC to groom into his ways.

But I think it’s more about his selfish ways than emotional attachments to Jason. The last thing Jerry wants is to give up his comfortable coexistence puppet. Jerry doesn’t care if it totally ruins this season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Very true...........I got to give you props Diehard, you have been right about this.

I really didnt think Jerry was this emotionally tied to Garrett as it seems he is. The realization that he is going to have to get rid of Garrett is so distressing to him that he is going on the radio and cussing like a sailor, slurring his words while cussing thus giving the indication that he may in fact be intoxicated or at least somewhat buzzed, and crying like a baby in front of the cameras after games, rambling on about believing in redemption, its seriously disturbing to watch.

My minor at University of Texas was in Psychology, so I had to read a lot of books about Freud, Jung, Skinner, all the big names in the field and psycho-analysis and behaviorism, ect.....well I can honestly tell you that Jerry has all the signs of a classic clinical break down. From erratic behavior that swings from emotional lows (like crying uncontrollably) to the highest highs (redemption and doing spectacular things people will talk about 30 yrs from now) to extreme irritability and agitation (cussing on radio) and finally losing grasp of reality or believing in a reality that doesn't exist (such as saying Garrett is our only chance or if we just win a game it will all work out)......Its kinda like manic depression bipolar mixed with elements of dementia, very disturbing stuff and I am being very serious here, I not joking around.
Yep

But again it’s more about Jerry’s selfish ways than his emotional attachment to Jason.

Make no mistake this is more about Jerry than Jason. Parting ways with Jason leaves uncertainty with how Jerry will run his football team which is more important than our success.

This is why Jerry is so upset because this will all prove he was wrong. And the thought he’d have to bring a proven named HC and potentially give up his control is his worst nightmare.

Narcissist don’t like being proved wrong. I think Jerry could even be more dangerous if placed in a corner. I wouldn’t assume he will make a better decision moving forward. He’s the type that might choose even a lesser puppet to show us.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t get how anyone can actually root for this outcome. Yeah, I’d rather pick at 10 than 25, but what if the Eagles catch fire and get to another Super Bowl? Is that worth picking 15 picks higher?

The New York Times still has us at 68% favorites to win it and the Eagles at 32%.
They think it’s the only way to rid ourselves of Garrett.

But I’d argue he’s gone regardless and I’d never resign to letting Egirls win division. I don’t think it’s going to matter. I can’t see us winning another game.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yep

But again it’s more about Jerry’s selfish ways than his emotional attachment to Jason.

Make no mistake this is more about Jerry than Jason. Parting ways with Jason leaves uncertainty with how Jerry will run his football team which is more important than our success.

This is why Jerry is so upset because this will all prove he was wrong. And the thought he’d have to bring a proven named HC and potentially give up his control is his worst nightmare.

Narcissist don’t like being proved wrong. I think Jerry could even be more dangerous if placed in a corner. I wouldn’t assume he will make a better decision moving forward. He’s the type that might choose even a lesser puppet to show us.

Yeah, that's a real good point.

I think you are right, Jerry sees firing Jason as admitting that he failed, that he is not the football guy he wants everybody to think he is. Firing Jason and starting all over is basically admitting that, especially if he has to hire a more high profile coach as the replacement.

Think about this Diehard. Would Jerry rather keep Jason and lose games or hire Lincoln Riley and if they start winning the media writes stories about how Riley saved the Star, or how Riley is a Sean McVeigh guru, ect............you notice all the stories are about Riley, nobody is mentioning Jerry.

Which is worse if you are Jerry? Lose with Jason and be seen as "the guy" in Dallas or win with Riley if he is considered "the guy". In short, does Jerry even care about winning if Riley or Urban Meyer or somebody like that gets the credit and not him? I dont think he is and that is scary.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I only took Psychology I but being in the Insurance and Accounting business worked with numerous Narcissistic egos who were more interested in their passion of running their business than what was best for their business by making someone else more suitable, qualified or experienced who could steal the thunder out from under them.

Winning isn’t Jerry’s #1 priority UNLES he’s the man. It’s why he parted ways with Jimmy. And has continued to under hire for the coaching job since with the lone exception of Bill because he needing something. A new stadium.

I don’t see Jerry as in the same position as he was then. He still wants to prove he can do this while maintain being the face of the Cowboys in position to take credit if we succeed. I’m still not sure if he’d appreciate success if someone came in and stole his thunder.

We are at a very precarious crossroads with Jerry now. Could be even dangerous taking a step back. If he’s willing to let this thing collapse with Jason for his own selfish reasons then we really aren’t sure what he might be capable of moving forward. I certainly wouldn’t assume he’ll name one of these Named HC floating around and be willing to give up any control or credit if this team has success.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Too risky, going to the playoffs is too risky.................Jerry might doing something stupid and give Garrett another year.

If we miss the playoffs, its a done deal, there is no chance for Garrett to return.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a real good point.

I think you are right, Jerry sees firing Jason as admitting that he failed, that he is not the football guy he wants everybody to think he is. Firing Jason and starting all over is basically admitting that, especially if he has to hire a more high profile coach as the replacement.

Think about this Diehard. Would Jerry rather keep Jason and lose games or hire Lincoln Riley and if they start winning the media writes stories about how Riley saved the Star, or how Riley is a Sean McVeigh guru, ect............you notice all the stories are about Riley, nobody is mentioning Jerry.

Which is worse if you are Jerry? Lose with Jason and be seen as "the guy" in Dallas or win with Riley if he is considered "the guy". In short, does Jerry even care about winning if Riley or Urban Meyer or somebody like that gets the credit and not him? I dont think he is and that is scary.
I think we might already know the answer letting go a back back Super Bowl champion HC and it’s been the premise of my support of Garrett over the years is that he appeared to be the best puppet situation we could have hoped for. As it sustained a more consistent contender however mediocre despite not reaching our ultimate goals.

And while I think this toxic atmosphere is too much to continue with Garrett I wouldn’t assume the future with Jerry will be brighter.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I only took Psychology I but being in the Insurance and Accounting business worked with numerous Narcissistic egos who were more interested in their passion of running their business than what was best for their business by making someone else more suitable, qualified or experienced who could steal the thunder out from under them.

Winning isn’t Jerry’s #1 priority UNLES he’s the man. It’s why he parted ways with Jimmy. And has continued to under hire for the coaching job since with the lone exception of Bill because he needing something. A new stadium.

I don’t see Jerry as in the same position as he was then. He still wants to prove he can do this while maintain being the face of the Cowboys in position to take credit if we succeed. I’m still not sure if he’d appreciate success if someone came in and stole his thunder.

We are at a very precarious crossroads with Jerry now. Could be even dangerous taking a step back. If he’s willing to let this thing collapse with Jason for his own selfish reasons then we really aren’t sure what he might be capable of moving forward. I certainly wouldn’t assume he’ll name one of these Named HC floating around and be willing to give up any control or credit if this team has success.

Yeah, I am starting to doubt he will hire a big name like Meyer or Riley, they would get too much credit for turning the team around.

I think Jerry instead may go with a lesser name but somebody he is familiar with, like Dan Campbell with the Saints, someone like that. He would not be seen as a big name, doesn't have a big head coach resume so will not demand control, and probably will not stand up to Jerry or tell Jerry he cant go on the radio three times every week.

So Jerry is still relatively comfortable still and the fans will get off Jerry's arse for a while if he appeases them by firing Garrett, so Jerry might think, all in all, he got out of this ok.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Too risky, going to the playoffs is too risky.................Jerry might doing something stupid and give Garrett another year.

If we miss the playoffs, its a done deal, there is no chance for Garrett to return.
From all indications I’ve heard and seen Jason doesn’t want to come back.

Much to some fans distraught over Jason’s abilities he’ll probably be more sought after than most will admit.

We have usually 25-30% of teams each year looking for a new HC. His ability to influence building a competitive contender will be attractive to some bottom dweller franchises hoping without the distractions and meddling owner with more control could perform better. And if not winning divisions would be an improvement.

John813

Reaction score
If Jason does better elsewhere I would be happy for him. I have nothing against him. Just feel after 9 or so years this is the best we'll get with the dynamic duo of Jerry and Jason. Just hoping some type of luck will hit the Cowboys again where they find a coach that can do well even with Jerry meddling over everything.