Rapoport: Watson officially requests trade

visionary

Reaction score
Oh hes elite? Why did Dak beat him in the playoffs? Why couldnt he will his team to beat our mediocre QB? And dont bring up how much better we were than Seattle because the last time I spent an hour bringing stat upon stat to debunk that notion and you disappeared.

OK, so we CAN use playoff wins to decide how good a QB is?

Great, now let’s look at W/L in playoffs for Wilson and Dak

:muttley:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Good luck to the team that has to trade a bunch of draft capital to take on Watson and his contract......you better be stacked on offense and defense and be able to draft.

Miami is the obvious solution. Unless The Jets, Jaguars or Falcons want to make a run at him, the #3 pick is likely going to be worth 2 first round picks from any other source (No team until maybe Detroit or Carolina at #7 and #8 are likely to make a run). Add in either Tua if Houston would rather take Devonta Smith or Penei Sewell or whatever high second/late first Miami gets for Tua if Houston would rather take Zach Wilson/Justin Fields and you really have the frame work of a deal.

Maybe the send Houston back a second round pick, but #3 + #36 + LV (4th rounder) + Tua for Watson likely exceeds any deal that's likely to arrise and still gives Miami *their* full slate of draft picks

Rayman70

Reaction score
Exactly! Dak kept us in that game. He was the REASON we were IN that game at all. Our defence could not make a play that game. Need a tackle? Our defence wasn't going to make it. I don't care if you have Patrick Mahomes. When your defence can't make a stop to save their life, you're NOT going to win that game. And the problem is, we had one of the worst defences of ALL TIME! Not just in Cowboys history! Think Patrick Mahomes wins with that defence? As great as he is, nope! Every QB needs help. American Football is the ULTIMATE TEAM GAME. You need a TEAM to win! This isn't basketball where you can just have Kobe Bryant or Lebron James carry you down the court to win the game. You need a TEAM to win. Yes, it's nice to have flashy players on offence, which we have. But when you don't have a defence, you're not winning. Simple as that. Plus, you NEED to be able to start in better field position than what we had this season. How many times while Dak was QB did we start at less than the 20? A lot! Why? Cuz we gave up a lot of points and we had KR trying to return the ball and getting smashed before the 25 yard line. Think you will be able to consistently drive 75+ yards every single drive for a TD? Nope, but that's basically what you have to do in order to win with this defence.
agree. What is asinine is the outright short term memory or amnesia fans on here have. They conveniently forget what Dak means to this team and what he has done.If we actually had a good defense he would have a ring already as a rookie!! He's been forced to carry the team and make steak dinner out of chicken salad...and when I say that I am referring to the defensive side of the ball where we absolutely have sucked for years honestly. Think about how many dang 80 yard drives he had to put together because our defense sucked...I think he has had the most long drives out of any QB the last 3 years .

Sydla

Reaction score
Good luck to the team that has to trade a bunch of draft capital to take on Watson and his contract......you better be stacked on offense and defense and be able to draft.

His contract isn't that bad. After 2022, you could cut him and save a ton against the cap. The reality is cap hits for elite/great QBs is going to be high going forward. Now draft capital, that's another discussion.

phildadon86

Reaction score
OK, so we CAN use playoff wins to decide how good a QB is?

Great, now let’s look at W/L in playoffs for Wilson and Dak

:muttley:
I am the biggest advocate for W/L not being a QB stat. He is the one who constantly says Dak didnt win the game. Thats all I was trying to say.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we know what we have in Dak..and stat-wise he has improved the last 3 years with his yardage. Problem has been a major lack of support on D.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
agree. What is asinine is the outright short term memory or amnesia fans on here have. They conveniently forget what Dak means to this team and what he has done.If we actually had a good defense he would have a ring already as a rookie!! He's been forced to carry the team and make steak dinner out of chicken salad...and when I say that I am referring to the defensive side of the ball where we absolutely have sucked for years honestly.

You're being too generous to our defence. Chicken salad isn't that bad haha. He's being forced to try to build a Ferrari out of an AMC Gremlin. And, the worst of it all is that we can't afford a 1st round QB even if we wanted to with this defence. You'll like a thread I created in which I, in a humourous way, the QBs that we had from 2000-2006. I think some on here forget just how horrific and depressing those years were. I STARTED my fanhood in those years. My FIRST YEAR as a fan, we went 5-11. I have never forgotten how bad that was. We COULDN'T find a franchise QB. The ONLY reason that slide stopped was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, Payton SOMEHOW doesn't take Romo to New Orleans with him, and Parcells started to play him. If ANY part of that changes, God only knows how long our search for a franchise QB would've gone on from that point. We could STILL be searching for a franchise QB at this point if not for that. Oh, and let's not forget that Jerry's idea of a QB is Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: I'd rather keep Dak than THOSE options that Jerry seems to like for a QB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Finding a QB on a rookie deal thats capable of winning while playing for cheap is extremely ideal....and accordingly difficult to find.

Dallas HAD this for several years and it was blown on Jerry's hand picked Landry experiment.

Adreme

Reaction score
Been saying this since he requested out of Houston.

Sign and trade Prescott, Cooper, and Elliott for Watson.

Houston would have Prescott with Elliott, David and Duke Johnson in the backfield. Cooper, Fuller, Cooks, and Coulee on the outside. That would be attractive for them.

Dallas would have Watson with Lamb, Gallup, and Wilson in the slot. Schultz and Jarwin at TE. You draft a new RB and WRs along with defense and OL. Dallas has 10 draft picks and could get this done.

Watson is two years younger and is signed for the next five years. His cap hits are 16, 40, 42, 35, and 32. All within reason for a top 5 QB.

Its actually lower due to the fact that Houston would be on the hook for the signing bonus (believe its 5.4 million each of the next 4 years) so take that off every year but the last year and you see why they would want a little more in any returns.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You're being too generous to our defence. Chicken salad isn't that bad haha. He's being forced to try to build a Ferrari out of an AMC Gremlin. And, the worst of it all is that we can't afford a 1st round QB even if we wanted to with this defence. You'll like a thread I created in which I, in a humourous way, the QBs that we had from 2000-2006. I think some on here forget just how horrific and depressing those years were. I STARTED my fanhood in those years. My FIRST YEAR as a fan, we went 5-11. I have never forgotten how bad that was. We COULDN'T find a franchise QB. The ONLY reason that slide stopped was because Sean Payton managed to steal Romo away from the Broncos as a UDFA, Payton SOMEHOW doesn't take Romo to New Orleans with him, and Parcells started to play him. If ANY part of that changes, God only knows how long our search for a franchise QB would've gone on from that point. We could STILL be searching for a franchise QB at this point if not for that. Oh, and let's not forget that Jerry's idea of a QB is Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: I'd rather keep Dak than THOSE options that Jerry seems to like for a QB.
:yourock:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Thankies, Oh, and I can go onto our back up QBs and the close shaves that we had at QB in the span from Romo to Dak if you want just as an additional point as to just how bad Jerry is at evaluating QBs that we don't luckily stumble onto. In fact, I think I will with my next post.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This is another thing to the "not pay Dak" crowd.

Deshaun gets paid, plays one season, now the Texans can trade him for a rumored 2 1sts plus a talented QB prospect.

What in the hell is the advantage to letting Dak walk?

Sign him. If it's not working out, then trade him for a Deshaun like package that can actually help a rebuild unlike a compensatory 3rd.

The "Don't pay Dak" crowd really just don't understand the NFL at all.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Exactly! Dak kept us in that game. He was the REASON we were IN that game at all. Our defence could not make a play that game. Need a tackle? Our defence wasn't going to make it. I don't care if you have Patrick Mahomes. When your defence can't make a stop to save their life, you're NOT going to win that game. And the problem is, we had one of the worst defences of ALL TIME! Not just in Cowboys history! Think Patrick Mahomes wins with that defence? As great as he is, nope! Every QB needs help. American Football is the ULTIMATE TEAM GAME. You need a TEAM to win! This isn't basketball where you can just have Kobe Bryant or Lebron James carry you down the court to win the game. You need a TEAM to win. Yes, it's nice to have flashy players on offence, which we have. But when you don't have a defence, you're not winning. Simple as that. Plus, you NEED to be able to start in better field position than what we had this season. How many times while Dak was QB did we start at less than the 20? A lot! Why? Cuz we gave up a lot of points and we had KR trying to return the ball and getting smashed before the 25 yard line. Think you will be able to consistently drive 75+ yards every single drive for a TD? Nope, but that's basically what you have to do in order to win with this defence.

Sorry to interrupt this love fest between you and Rayman, but wasn't the score going into the 4th qt 41 to 14.

Cleveland had a 27 point lead in the 4th qt. and you're saying Prescott kept Dallas in the game.

Dallas scored at the two minute mark of the 1st quarter and didn't score again till the 12 minute mark of the 4th quarter. That's almost 2.5 quarters of nothing. That's how Dallas stayed in the game!

Wake up people.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt this love fest between you and Rayman, but wasn't the score going into the 4th qt 41 to 14.

Cleveland had a 27 point lead in the 4th qt. and you're saying Prescott kept Dallas in the game.

Dallas scored at the two minute mark of the 1st quarter and didn't score again till the 12 minute mark of the 4th quarter. That's almost 2.5 quarters of nothing. That's how Dallas stayed in the game!

Wake up people.
your ignoring the entire point...THE D has sucked in Dallas and 2020 was no exception. That is/was the point being made really.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And now, the Dallas Cowboys backup and close QB shaves of the Romo and Dak eras, brought to you by, Furboy!

AdorableWhichGallinule-max-14mb.gif

Brady Quinn, Brad Johnson, Brooks Bollinger, Jon Kitna when Romo was not in one piece, Stephen McGee too! *dances playfully* There's Chris Greisen, Kyle Orton, Alex Tanney. Johnny Manziel's moral compass was gone, Brandon Weeden's mind was gone, Jameill Showers, Matt Cassell, and Kellen Moore too. Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenburg, Cody Kessler, Connor Cook, Cooper Rush, Mike White, Ben Dinucci, Garrett Gilbert, and Andy Dalton. *falls*