Rasheed Wallace to Coach Jordan High School

punchnjudy

Reaction score
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article227293829.html

The former NBA star was named boys basketball coach at Durham Jordan on Friday. Wallace, 44, takes over for Kim Annas. Last season the Falcons finished 7-17 overall and 1-9 in conference play.

Known as much for his emotional outbursts as his rim-rattling dunks, Wallace felt like the timing was right for him to get into coaching.

“I did have some offers from a few NBA teams to be on their staff,” Wallace said. “The money was good, but it’s not about the money to me, it’s about that knowledge. Knowledge should be free and it doesn’t cost anything to pass that knowledge to these young men.”

He played for a pair of Hall of Fame coaches: Dean Smith at UNC and Larry Brown in Detroit. Wallace will take lessons from both coaches as he leads the Falcons.

“I would say patience and getting to know your guys,” Wallace said. “If you get to know your guys they will buy into what you are saying. If you are straight forward with them, straight laced, they showed me to be there for your team and each individual player.”

Another local Hall of Fame coach, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, endorsed the hire.

“Rasheed is a great guy. He’s a pro’s pro,” Krzyzewski said. “I know him. Obviously I don’t know him as well as they know him (at UNC). He’s a top-notch guy. What a great get. It’s great. I love that. I just saw that and it brought a smile to my face, that he would do that. How lucky are they? That’s a pretty good get for them.”

punchnjudy

Reaction score
The article doesn't mention the other Davis he'll be coaching--Elijah Davis, son of Hubert Davis.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
RaWeed...that is how I remember his time in Portland. Dude had big time talent but never wanted to step to lead the team.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Had some head case stuff in his career, but a very intelligent basketball player and person in general.