Rate every starter on offense

75boyz

Reaction score
Whatever you think is most important

I base offenstarter rating on a bit of both and it's why I have a gap because there is a dropoff with talent or ability to be impactful at that position compared to some of the others.

I base mine on a broad and more general comparison style of the entire league's offensive starters. Its my way of grading with my opinion of the collective group as a whole, but with individual position positives and negatives.

I think our whole o-line is comparable with Pitt, Philly, Washington and Tennessee.

I think Indy and LA may be slightly better because of coaching and scheme, but not by too much and not on a player for player basis.

Once Giants lost Beckham and Pitt lost Brown/Bell my high collective starter ratings for them took huge hits. Ben still has Ju Ju and Connor but it's a step down from Bell and Brown.

The Saints losing Ingram and the Falcons losing Coleman definitely brings my grade on them down as well altho Peyton may be able to scheme something just as good with the new RB. And Atlanta's trio of wide outs with Ridleys addition last year still marks them as having lots of weapons.

Wentz has the new former Bears RB Howard now and the newly drafted wide out to go with his top tier TE and incumbent formidable pass catchers.

Mahommes and his group is in flux with the Tyreek Hill thing. His TE is a BEAST tho but Id give an incomplete if grading right now.

Goff with Gurley and his injured wide out returning.

And even Cousins 2 upper tier pass catchers bears mentioning.

Honorable mentions to Brady and Rodgers cuz they usually make whomever theyre lined up with better as a whole. No matter if you've heard of them or not.

Overall,
I like the Dallas starter combo of WR's and Zeke as a possible top 5 unit.
Add to that the oline with a healthy Fred and I could be convinced of a top three even.

It really boils down to improved QB play and coaching in my opinion.

I think they fall short in this category as compared to most/all of the other offenses I have mentioned here.

Guess we'll be finding out in a few months.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
1. Frederick (if 100%)
2. Martin
3. Smith (would be higher if it weren't for back issues/concerns)
4. Zeke (I thought about putting him at 1 but the OL is the most important for our offense to have a chance)
5. Cooper

Gap

6. Dak
7. Witten (I'm not on the bandwagon of saying Witten lost 10 steps and suddenly became ineffective, we see these results with other receivers as well)
8. Gallup (could be higher, but there's lot of outside variables that make it hard to accurately judge him or rate him higher)
9. Collins (hasn't take the next step to be impactful)
10. Williams (has a future as long as he progresses)
11. Whoever the FB is
If you're rating the honest way....each player against this peers...that's not too bad.
3rd WR probably plays more than FB though
At this stage, I might have Gallup ahead of Witten I'm rating him vs #2 WRs, not all WRs

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mine is a ranking of positions in the NFL.

QB
LT
C
RT
RG
LG
WR1
RB
TE
WR2
FB or TE2 or WR3

This is the Cowboys
RG
RB
LT
C
WR1
QB
WR2
TE
RT
LG
FB or TE2 or WR3

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Since someone wants to be selective you should know that the coaches cost us a few games despite how bad the qbs were in 2015. 8 wins wins was very doable.
So in your opinion any QB could have done what Dak did despite the factual evidence of your own team against your opinion.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Frederick (if 100%)
2. Martin
4. Zeke (I thought about putting him at 1 but the OL is the most important for our offense to have a chance)
5. Cooper

Gap

6. Dak
7. Witten (I'm not on the bandwagon of saying Witten lost 10 steps and suddenly became ineffective, we see these results with other receivers as well)
8. Gallup (could be higher, but there's lot of outside variables that make it hard to accurately judge him or rate him higher)
11. Whoever the FB is

Zack Martin
Travis Frederick (#1 if not for illness)
Ezekiel Elliott
Tyron Smith
Amari Cooper
Dak Prescott
La'el Collins
Jason Witten
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Randall Cobb
Jamize Olawale

Brax

Reaction score
1. Frederick (if 100%)
2. Martin
5. Cooper

Gap

6. Dak
11. Whoever the FB is
For The Cowboys to win and the QB to play with out excuses from everyone he has have these guys at their best for him to win, take away any and it's hard sledding for the Cowboys based on past performance.
1. Frederick
2. Martin
3. Tyron Smith
4. L. Collins
5. Williams
6. Zeke
7. Amari Cooper
8. Witten
9. Prescott

Sydla

Reaction score
Was it a myth in 2015 and 2016 for the Cowboys?

What about 2017 when we went 3-3 and Dak was mostly a turd for the 6 games Elliott was out?

Here's the reality. If you have a good QB and the offense is built around that QB (Rodgers, Brady, Brees) yes, the QB is the most important player on offense. When the QB has to be surrounded by a good OL, good RB, good WRs, in reality, the QB isn't the most important player.

Dak is a lot closer to the latter QB, not the former QB.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Martin
2. Zeke
3. Smith
4. Cooper
5. Witten
6. Fredrick (if he is actually 100% he is probably the best or 2nd best player on the team)
7. Collins
8. Austin
9. Williams
10. Gallop
11. Dak

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On defense.

Lawrence
Vander Esch
Smith
Lee
Awuzie
Jones
X. Woods
Quinn
Collins
Brown
A. Woods
Heath

12 starters with Lee and Brown sharing a spot.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
What about 2017 when we went 3-3 and Dak was mostly a turd for the 6 games Elliott was out?

Here's the reality. If you have a good QB and the offense is built around that QB (Rodgers, Brady, Brees) yes, the QB is the most important player on offense. When the QB has to be surrounded by a good OL, good RB, good WRs, in reality, the QB isn't the most important player.

Dak is a lot closer to the latter QB, not the former QB.
We went 9-7 and Dak had a league high six 4th quartercomebacks....in his second year as a 4th round QB. But hey everyone can do that with Zeke missing 6 games.....no wait

Sydla

Reaction score
We went 9-7 and Dak had a league high six 4th quartercomebacks....in his second year as a 4th round QB. But hey everyone can do that with Zeke missing 6 games.....no wait

He went 3-3 with no Elliott and one of those wins was the Oakland game where he had a QB rating of 59.5 and played horribly and the team won despite his poor play. In the three losses he was pretty poor.

If he's the glue that makes the offense go, why did his play drop quite noticeably when Elliott wasn't there?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He went 3-3 with no Elliott and one of those wins was the Oakland game where he had a QB rating of 59.5 and played horribly and the team won despite his poor play. In the three losses he was pretty poor.

If he's the glue that makes the offense go, why did his play drop quite noticeably when Elliott wasn't there?
I say let White have the most important position on the field and trade Dak. Anyone can do it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So disrespectful of Olawale!

I would have just put my slot WR and left him out - how is that for disrespect! Slot WR - whether Cobb is as good as Beasley is way more impactful!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Don't know you personally so I would hope you would not take this remark as such. If so, my apologies in advance.

The post Atlanta 3 game stretch of offensive futility in 2017 is as bad as I have ever witnessed a QB play in a Cowboys uniform and my fandom goes back to 1975. All the Pelluers, Hogebooms, Carters, Hutches and Stoerners pales in comparison to his ineptitude for that stretch. Blame it on Zeke or Tyron's absence/injury, but Prescott was absolutely awful during that time.

Again, nothing personal. Just my opinion.
I did not read pass there.