Rate Jerry as Owner/GM on a scale of 1 to 10

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by john van brocklin, Jun 14, 2022.

1. NoFurtherQuestions

NoFurtherQuestions Well-Known Member

362 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    At the end of the day is it that important how rich the team is to you compared to actually winning? Does topping the Forbes list every year really mean anything to anyone who isn't in the Jones family? The Buccaneers & Chiefs aren't worth in half of what the Cowboys are but have won Super Bowls within the last 3 years. The Bengals are the 2nd least valuable team but have come far closer to winning a Super Bowl this century and are far more closer to winning one before us again.

And I've said it once and I'll say it again, Jerry hardly made the Cowboys as big as they are. They were known as "America's Team" well before Jerry came and are the only team in the 4th biggest city in the country, The Cowboys would still be loaded even if Jerry never brought us.

2. Mk2_Cowboys

Mk2_Cowboys Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    1,708 Messages
    2,240 Likes Received
    At start he was a 10 . The last quarter century 3

john van brocklin likes this.
  3. basel90

basel90 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    3,101 Messages
    3,377 Likes Received
    agree. the businessman in jerry has little to do on the field.
    Amazing however how the team was going bankrupt and the stadium was in shambles ( team was losing 1 million a month with the previous owner) , and the team was losing big before Jerry took over. So he has to get credit for rejuvinating the franchise and winning 3 super bowls.
    Always wondered how that situation was allowed to continue and no local businessmen took over the team before jerry came. No denying the facilities and the marketing of the team was jerry's biggest contribution to the cowboys and the DFW area.

4. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

22,306 Messages
    21,298 Likes Received
    1000% This ^^^^^^^^

5. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

32,359 Messages
    13,744 Likes Received
    Chef's?
    Like the cook at Denny's? (Who otherwise makes delish pancakes)
    Holla

6. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

32,359 Messages
    13,744 Likes Received
    Blimey!
    He follows me on social media.
    However ...
    OWNER -- 9 (Because he has dual titles, the bad contracts for Dak and Zeke tie into owner. Otherwise, a 10.)
    GM -- 5

7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

39,569 Messages
    9,715 Likes Received
    Splitting them is the only way that makes sense. You may as well be dealing with 2 different people.

Owner >>> GM

calicowboy54 likes this.
  8. VaqueroTD

VaqueroTD Well-Known Member

2,586 Messages
    5,558 Likes Received
    Same as it’s always been. 10 as an owner. Probably a 5 these days as a GM which is a step above his first years that were sometimes dangerously close to a 1. Makes much better moves these days but still would be fired after decades of playoff mediocrity.

9. StarChamber_33

StarChamber_33 Well-Known Member

373 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Very good point..

10. StarChamber_33

StarChamber_33 Well-Known Member

373 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Quite frankly I think Ole Jerruh gets too much credit for the off-field success of the Dallas Cowboys, this team was world famous when he bought it and was beloved and regarded as America's Team. He capitalized off of it by saying YES to advertisers and selling his soul to the highest bidder, something that previous owner H.R. Bum Bright couldn't or wouldn't do?? Nevertheless, here we are 33 years later, and the Dallas Cowboys are worth more than any team in American sports [6.5 billion]. Could Jerry have accomplished this with the Philadelphia Eagles? Denver Broncos? Houston Texans? Baltimore Ravens? New Orleans Saints? There is a reason he wanted to purchase the Cowboys; He saw easy money.

My Score - Owner = 6
    -GM = 2

kskboys likes this.
  11. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

3,468 Messages
    3,480 Likes Received
    6 GM: He's kept the team relevant, and slightly competitive. 10 as an owner.

12. john van brocklin

22,306 Messages
    21,298 Likes Received
    Very good point.
    Jerry does a lot if the owner functions well.
    His major fail has been his selection of an under qualified GM, then sticking with that decision when it was obvious that GM could not get the job done.

13. EGTuna

EGTuna Well-Known Member

1,070 Messages
    1,248 Likes Received
    Same as Blutarski’s GPA.

DallasEast likes this.
  14. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    50,082 Messages
    39,341 Likes Received
    Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the <expletive> Peace Corps.

:laugh:

EGTuna likes this.
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

35,781 Messages
    16,044 Likes Received
    There's a hole in the bucket, Dear Elisah, Dear Elisah...

16. CowboyFrog

CowboyFrog Well-Known Member

5,542 Messages
    5,003 Likes Received
    So unless you are happy about him as a GM you have to rate them both low because the owner is respobnsible for the GM hire......Love the 3 SB's he brought as an owner hate the GM choice of the last 26years though.

kskboys and john van brocklin like this.
  17. Mannix

Mannix Well-Known Member

5,073 Messages
    5,799 Likes Received
    0....I frankly don't give 2 S's about his ability to make money, make the league money, or his uncanny ability to keep the Cowboys relevant. And when I say relevant, I am talking about merch, talk show discussions, and TV ratings.....NOTHING more!!!

Sheepherder and morat1959 like this.
  18. john van brocklin

22,306 Messages
    21,298 Likes Received
    Truth!

RustyBourneHorse likes this.
  19. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

18,572 Messages
    13,611 Likes Received
    That is a tough one, he isn't a Daniel Snyder but he has also created a culture that is not all about winning football games that can't be overlooked.

He does well in the early rounds of the draft and is willing to bring in quality players but at the same time, he has no clue how to build a winning roster.

I would probably say a 6.

20. RustyBourneHorse

RustyBourneHorse Well-Known Member

26,340 Messages
    28,894 Likes Received
    Snyder and the Browns ownership are worse

john van brocklin likes this.