Rate the last movie you saw

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
VqaYJ4x.jpg

7.25 of 10.00

To be honest, I had zero plans of watching Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Then I watched it win an Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film. So I said why not?

It surprised me how well it was made. In fact, I think it is the best film comic book on-screen layout I have seen. The Sin City movies had similar layouts with on-screen commentary seen in comic book panels but not as seamlessly integrated with characters' emotions and dialogue. S:ITS is a solid movie for a family get together with a good mix of witty humor, action and reflections on life and responsibility.

My only main gripe was that The Kingpin is WAY overdrawn. The guy looked like he swallowed a tank lol.

Nerd input:
The Peter Parker who dies is NOT the character currently played by Tom Holland in the Marvel movies. Comic books have countless fictional Earths and the Holland character (and all the characters in the MCU) belongs to 'Earth-616'. Not sure which Earth this dead Parker belongs to though.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
VqaYJ4x.jpg

7.25 of 10.00

To be honest, I had zero plans of watching Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Then I watched it win an Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film. So I said why not?

It surprised me how well it was made. In fact, I think it is the best film comic book on-screen layout I have seen. The Sin City movies had similar layouts with on-screen commentary seen in comic book panels but not as seamlessly integrated with characters' emotions and dialogue. S:ITS is a solid movie for a family get together with a good mix of witty humor, action and reflections on life and responsibility.

My only main gripe was that The Kingpin is WAY overdrawn. The guy looked like he swallowed a tank lol.

Nerd input:
The Peter Parker who dies is NOT the character currently played by Tom Holland in the Marvel movies. Comic books have countless fictional Earths and the Holland character (and all the characters in the MCU) belongs to 'Earth-616'. Not sure which Earth this dead Parker belongs to though.
I've been thinking about buying it On Demand, but since it isn't involved with the continuity of any other movies, I can wait until it's up for rental for $3 or $5, and record it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Yes, his voice got his foot in the door, and he was a great vocalist, but his voice alone would never have made him The King.

Hmmmmm.... I don’t know we can say that with any certainty.

He only really toured stateside.
TV and his exposure was limited.

He became a global icon.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TXmgQ79.jpg

8.0 of 10.0

"WHERE'S FURY?"

There are two post credits' scenes. The first is only a couple of minutes into the credits roll and well worth waiting for. The other one is at the very end of the post credits. Cute but not outstanding and totally predictable. Still, it is better than Howard the Duck at the end of the first Guardians of the Galaxy.

Captain Marvel's first hour sets up both her character and the Kree's histories. I kinda found the first hour's scenes a bit stiff. The character and story shines well during the final 45 - 60 minutes. That is when Brie Larson really imprinted on me as the hero in every way.

Love Samuel L. Jackson but he is 70 and there is only so much facial de-aging CGI can realistically cover up. Clark Gregg was a tiny bit strange to look at too.

A Can't Miss: Pay close attention to the Marvel Studios tribute to Stan Lee at the beginning of the movie. It was the best tribute I have seen for him to this point in my opinion and perhaps the last via the MCU movies. I thought it was exceedingly fitting. Excelsior!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Time for a movie fan/comic book geek to nerd completely out, get teed-off :oldcouple:and rant.

Captain Marvel flies. Heck. The character flew back before it changed from a him to a her. Flying is part of the character's fictional backstory. Thank Marvel/Disney and directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck for staying true to the character.

Okay (takes a breath but does not exhale).

<Expletive> Wonder Woman has the power of flight, just like Captain Marvel. Even though I enjoy the opportunity of seeing my favorite comic book characters on the small screen, television really warps true representations of characters. Wonder Woman was no exception to the nonsense.

Yes. Wonder Woman HAD an invisible plane. Her character was created in the 1940's. I am sure flying a plane, an invisible one at that, was a natural conclusion at the time. Makes sense. It also makes sense when the 1970's television series debuted with a World War II timeline that the character would have an invisible plane. I had no problem with that...

...until the series plot changed from the 1940's to the 1970's. The show continued showing Wonder Woman needing a plane to fly. While it was true the character had not gained the ability of flight yet, WW was gliding on air currents as early as the late 1950's! I know television special effects were still low budget but that was not REALLY the reason why the character was tied down to flying with help. The nonsense was further compounded by Public Service Announcement Wonder Woman on the Super Friends cartoons. :facepalm:

Whatever. Something happened before WW finally graced the big screen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Nope. Not talking about the character flying as recently as the late 1990's/early 2000's in the Justice League animated series:

JuPOUSe.gif

I am referring to the classic DC Comics' post-1985 Crisis Of Infinite Earths saga and the character's subsequent reboot with the power of actual flight. Check out one of her series' book covers from 1987:

25h8ntc.jpg

Yep. That is not just sea gulls flying high over Themyscira.

It is 2019. Wonder Woman 1984 is set for release next year in June. I have a lot of respect for Patty Jenkins. Her original movie was pretty darn good but it is time for her and DC/Warner Bros to do 100% right by the Amazon Princess. Let the character fly. Let her SOAR. 35 years is way too long to keep her tied to see-through planes and terra firma. Heck, seeing her simply glide would still be an injustice but it would be better than how she has been treated in the DCEU thus far.

/rant

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Time for a movie fan/comic book geek to nerd completely out, get teed-off :oldcouple:and rant.

Captain Marvel flies. Heck. The character flew back before it changed from a him to a her. Flying is part of the character's fictional backstory. Thank Marvel/Disney and directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck for staying true to the character.

Okay (takes a breath but does not exhale).

<Expletive> Wonder Woman has the power of flight, just like Captain Marvel. Even though I enjoy the opportunity of seeing my favorite comic book characters on the small screen, television really warps true representations of characters. Wonder Woman was no exception to the nonsense.

Yes. Wonder Woman HAD an invisible plane. Her character was created in the 1940's I am sure flying a plane, an invisible one at that, was a natural conclusion at the time. Makes sense. It also makes sense when the 1970's television series debuted with a World War II timeline that the character would have an invisible plane. I had no problem with that...

...until the series plot changed from the 1940's to the 1970's. The show continued showing Wonder Woman needing a plane to fly. While it was true the character had not gained the ability of flight yet, WW was gliding on air currents as early as the late 1950's! I know television special effects were still low budget but that was not REALLY the reason why the character was tied down to flying with help. The nonsense was further compounded by Public Service Announcement Wonder Woman on the Super Friends cartoons. :facepalm:

Whatever. Something happened before WW finally graced the big screen in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Nope. Not talking about the character flying as recently as the late 1990's/early 2000's in the Justice League animated series:

JuPOUSe.gif

I am referring to the classic DC Comics' post-1985 Crisis Of Infinite Earths saga and the character's subsequent reboot with the power of actual flight. Check out one of her series' book covers from 1987:

25h8ntc.jpg

Yep. That is not just sea gulls flying high over Themyscira.

It is 2019. Wonder Woman 1984 is set for release next year in June. I have a lot of respect for Patty Jenkins. Her original movie was pretty darn good but it is time for her and DC/Warner Bros to do 100% right by her. Let the character fly. Let her SOAR. 35 years is way too long to keep her tied to see-through planes and terra firma. Heck, seeing her simply glide would still be an injustice but it would be better than how she has been treated in the DCEU thus far.

/rant
FgY0CvJ.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question for those seeing the Captain Marvel movie. Gemma Chan is an attractive young actress but is moreso with or without the Kree warrior movie makeup?

jbZKD6J.jpg

Chan did not have a lot of screen time but I admit catching myself saying wow at times.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Question for those seeing the Captain Marvel movie. Gemma Chan is an attractive young actress but is moreso with or without the Kree warrior movie makeup?

jbZKD6J.jpg

Chan did not have a lot of screen time but I admit catching myself saying wow at times.
Oh, now I have to go see it!.......and I'd vote for "without".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched Creed II last night, aka Rocky IV II, and it was OK. 6.5/10

Sly and Dolph haven't aged well but they're spring chickens compared to Brigitte Nielsen. I wasn't sure she was alive until she moved.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Watched Creed II last night, aka Rocky IV II, and it was OK. 6.5/10

Sly and Dolph haven't aged well but they're spring chickens compared to Brigitte Nielsen. I wasn't sure she was alive until she moved.

That is funny! Lol

I thought they went in great direction with the story.
Dolph, though only a few lines came off great. Great acting imo. Better than in Aquaman.

7,75 out of 10

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Captain Marvel

8.5 out of 10

My new mindset/approach to these suoerhero movies is... I’m just happy they are bringing my childhood superheroes to big screen.

She was bad arse.
They fit a lot in that movie.
They explained everything from oast movies.

She is “Avenger”... ok I laughed. But I didn’t care.

Ronan. Should have had more instead of her just scaring him off.
Coulson too.

Fury and Carol - believable connection between them.
Made the “where’s fury?” Concern very believable.

Sweet acknowledgment to Stan Lee in intro and on train.

Loved her angry attack expression.

BillyBates

Reaction score
Debbie does.....ah you know. I found it some what pretentious and the story line limited. I could guess the ending before it happened:mad:.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Captain Marvel - 7.5 out of 10

A good, not great Marvel film. I think it could have been better in the hands of a better director(s).

I liked that it didn't follow the usual origin story formula and a few of their choices surprised me as they didn't follow the comics.

And I also liked the partnership that developed between Fury and our hero.

And most of all, I loved how they showed her getting up again and again and again, refusing to stay down or to be told what she could or couldn't do. A very empowering message that I was glad to see and glad that my granddaughter saw as well. She now has a new favorite hero.

Flawed, but fun film.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Captain Marvel Beat Its Own Box Office Projections
By Angela Watercutte
03.11.19, 11:36 am

Culture_Monitor_CaptainMarvel.jpg

Captain Marvel Goes Higher, Further, Faster to $455 Million Opening Weekend

Captain Marvel
’s box office numbers are in, and they're good—very, very good. Variety reports the film took in $455 million worldwide in its opening weekend for the sixth biggest global debut ever. That number includes the $153 million the film earned in North America, a figure that was well above projections for the film, which estimated it would bring in about $125 million in its first weekend.

https://www.wired.com/story/captain-marvel-box-office/

timb2

Reaction score
Captain Marvel Beat Its Own Box Office Projections
By Angela Watercutte
03.11.19, 11:36 am

Culture_Monitor_CaptainMarvel.jpg

Captain Marvel Goes Higher, Further, Faster to $455 Million Opening Weekend

Captain Marvel
’s box office numbers are in, and they're good—very, very good. Variety reports the film took in $455 million worldwide in its opening weekend for the sixth biggest global debut ever. That number includes the $153 million the film earned in North America, a figure that was well above projections for the film, which estimated it would bring in about $125 million in its first weekend.

https://www.wired.com/story/captain-marvel-box-office/
I heard Captain Marvel is bad and Rotten Tomatoes is getting heat because there was a lot of bad reviews over 5 to 10 thousand and when you came back several hours later, there was just over 4 thousand. Movie companies might as well go back to fake movie reviews and pump up some crappy movie for an Oscar.