Ratliff and the defensive front line...

Verdict

Reaction score
Signing Jay Ratliff to a long term deal looks like a great decision in retrospect from a football standpoint and a salary cap standpoint, at least of the present time. A part of me believes that he would be much more productive on either end, with true strong, space eater at nose tackle. (A HOG).

I think from a salary cap standpoint, I would be inclined to let either Spears or Canty go in free agency if they ask for too much. I would prefer to keep Canty over Spears. They are decent players, but it is too easy to replace them to pay them an outrageous amount of money. If they will sign a cap friendly deal, I would probably keep them. I think Canty still has some upside, if paired with the right nose tackle.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
i agree with you on both points.

i believe Rat should be a DE and keep Canty over Spears

neither of them have impressed a lot this season, although Spears has done better than his previous seasons....he is just not consistent enough.

Canty has not had a good year, but i think that could drive his price tag down, and he has potential as you said with the right NT

i think a starting d-line of Canty, ?, and Ratliff could be great if we get the right NT in there....we need a massive body who can consistently eat up double-teams.....not sure where we'll find that guy at the moment though.

mmohican29

Reaction score
as of game 1 of this season, I would agree about Canty over Spears. Now, the worm has turned. Spears is playing pretty damn well- I think better than Canty.
Ratliff is a great player but he's still too small to be a three down NT.

if he gets to play End watch out. Or if we go 4-3, he's gonna be a beast at DT if paired with Spears or Tank. Canty at DT in a 4-3? I think he might be a step slow, but would be serviceable as well.