Re-watched The Eagles Game

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I felt the offensive game plan and play calling was too conservative, like “they are undermanned; we are the best team; let’s make sure we don’t give it away.”

vnick

Reaction score
I agree that the players seemed to lack urgency. I am not sure if that was on coaching or not, but one of the strengths and weaknesses of Garrett was he treated each game the same as the next. That even keeled approach can help in a lot of ways, but also I think he should have emphasized that game. And maybe he did and we don't know it, but that's just my take.

vnick

Reaction score
I felt the offensive game plan and play calling was too conservative, like “they are undermanned; we are the best team; let’s make sure we don’t give it away.”

That also seemed a staple of the Garrett era. He always seemed to get conservative in hostile environments. The New Orleans game also comes to mind on this.

nobody

Reaction score
But but but, according to some, Garrett is a great coach who motivates players! Surely they played motivated with heart against the Eagles! After all, they were playing hard for Garrett, right!?

smitty313

Reaction score
I said it before.

It showed their character. Whether they gave up on Garrett or not, there were plenty of gut check moments that they elected to opt out of.
Wait...are you saying that showing the team a video of their highlight plays isn't effective coaching?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Because of my masochistic tendencies, I decided to fire up this game again.

It is the first time I have watched it since it happened.

It is amazing the perspective you don't get when watching it in the heat of the moment. You see little nuances you missed the first time.

What was so shocking to me was the lack of urgency that the whole team had. It was like they did not care.

Cooper was especially disappointing. Prescott was not on point.

And the defense, well, we know how they underachieved.

I just remember being mad about the game, but watching it again just was depressing.

It makes me wonder if they had no desire to win, because it sure looked like it.

I would encourage everyone who can watch it again do so and then start to decide how they feel about the talent on this team.
24 years now with no success. The problem is Jerry and the culture he creates. Year after year it is the same thing.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Now that's an awful way to spend a Saturday night. Pure torture. No doubt we'll be laughing at all of this mess Garrett and his cronies left come this new era in September for our Cowboys. BOOM!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I know. But you can never learn if you do not revisit the past.

There were numerous opportunities the players, not the coaches, had in that game.

I know it is all fun and games to focus on the new staff, but some of these players really lacked focus in that game.

And it was not the fringe guys. The money players spit the bit so hard.
The players, by that point, realized that the coaching staff likely wouldn’t be back. No team plays well or hard for a lame duck coaching staff.

Jerry says coaching or playing under pressure can bring out the best in people... but letting Garrett coach under those circumstances helped ruin the season. Once the season started going South, it spiraled and a coach that had never lost the team, did just that. It was a big mistake. He needed to either fire him or extend him. By allowing it to unfold the way it did, it caused the team to quit on the coaches.

Plus, there was some coaching squabbles amongst the staff (I’ve read), and apparently an issue between Lal and Cooper. Marinelli was the DC but Richard was actually coordinating... it was stupid as hell.

Put it all together and it is a recipe for a lost season.

The team didn't quit in 2018, even when they had plenty of reason to at 3-5... and I expect them to play completely different under McCarthy and his staff this coming season.

The circumstances they played under in 2019 were atrocious. I’m not surprised at all they played like crap down the stretch.

I hope Jerry and Stephen learned to never let that happen again with a head coach.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I know. But you can never learn if you do not revisit the past.

There were numerous opportunities the players, not the coaches, had in that game.

I know it is all fun and games to focus on the new staff, but some of these players really lacked focus in that game.

And it was not the fringe guys. The money players spit the bit so hard.
That's why I started a thread stating, "It's not the coaches. It's the players," right after that Eagles game, and I got blasted for it.

75boyz

Reaction score
Here's reality on why we lost to the Eagles.
Can you deal with the truth folks?

9 Pts ain't buying us a donut!

I have no idea why but the over used Jack Nicholson reference screamed loud and clear for some reason after reading your post..."You Can't Handle The Truth!" Lol:)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
So in a game that means everything, you just do what, evaluate on an average of all of them?

Really? This is one of the dumbest takes I have ever seen on this forum and that is saying a lot.

A PROFESSIONAL that evaluates players don't do it based on a single play or game. A PROFESSIONAL may use a single bad game as what seals the deal for a player based on their evaluation of everything thus far. If in their evaluation they were at a point where a bad game was enough to swing their evaluation but they don't use any single game as their sole reason to get rid of a player. If using your method and being strictly hypothetical lets say a team was in the exact position the Cowboys were in at the 2nd game against the eagles. Under your thinking of only using that single game to decide on whether or not to keep a player and lets say that Brees or Rodgers was the QB and that QB threw not one but TWO pick sixes and they ended up why that team lost. Now using your logic, if you want to call it that, because that QB cost that team a chance to get to the playoffs and played so bad there no other option than get rid of that QB because basing it sole on that one game.

Nav22

Reaction score
I was at the game. What a nightmare.

The drops have stayed with me. Our guys dropped SIX passes, their guys dropped ZERO.

Then there was Xavier Woods dropping the gimme INT in the 1st quarter, which would’ve completely changed the game. Story of our season. Too many bums with zero ball skills on that side of the ball.

Zordon

Reaction score
Not sure where the confidence leading up to that game came from, but for weeks many of your fans and the media kept excusing the losses leading up to that game bc they assumed ultimately we were going to stroll into Philly and win that game and the division. Everybody in the media had us pencilled into the playoffs leading up that game. Me...I knew the mental midgets were going to lose that game which is why I was praying we'd win just one more freaky game leading up to it to make it irrelevant.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
A PROFESSIONAL that evaluates players don't do it based on a single play or game. A PROFESSIONAL may use a single bad game as what seals the deal for a player based on their evaluation of everything thus far. If in their evaluation they were at a point where a bad game was enough to swing their evaluation but they don't use any single game as their sole reason to get rid of a player. If using your method and being strictly hypothetical lets say a team was in the exact position the Cowboys were in at the 2nd game against the eagles. Under your thinking of only using that single game to decide on whether or not to keep a player and lets say that Brees or Rodgers was the QB and that QB threw not one but TWO pick sixes and they ended up why that team lost. Now using your logic, if you want to call it that, because that QB cost that team a chance to get to the playoffs and played so bad there no other option than get rid of that QB because basing it sole on that one game.
A PROFESSIONAL also notes how the same team performed in games where they could have solidified their position.

A PROFESSIONAL could have seen how this group blew it versus Buffalo and especially Chicago.

Their performance in this game was completely consistent with that.

Get a grip.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Because of my masochistic tendencies, I decided to fire up this game again.

It is the first time I have watched it since it happened.

It is amazing the perspective you don't get when watching it in the heat of the moment. You see little nuances you missed the first time.

What was so shocking to me was the lack of urgency that the whole team had. It was like they did not care.

Cooper was especially disappointing. Prescott was not on point.

And the defense, well, we know how they underachieved.

I just remember being mad about the game, but watching it again just was depressing.

It makes me wonder if they had no desire to win, because it sure looked like it.

I would encourage everyone who can watch it again do so and then start to decide how they feel about the talent on this team.

You Sir, are simply a glutton for punishment!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not sure where the confidence leading up to that game came from

They whipped the Rams. That somehow redeemed them all after getting blown out in the divisional round in 2018.