Recieving Corp by committee a disaster so far

jrumann59

Reaction score
Again sir. One game.
Not one game, most of last season too, with a "more" talented group. The same issues from last year have carried over to this year.

Bryant
TWill
Beasley
Switzer
Butler
Witten

Hurns
TWill
Beasley
Austin
Gallup
3 man TE group

Hurns is downgrade from Dez
TWill is TWill
Beasley is Beasley
Austin is upgrade to Switzer
FOr now Gallup and Brice is a wash
Witten is still better than the 3 stiffs that were trotted out week 1.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Kind of a little early for such a bold statement. Especially when they didn't play any meaningful snaps in preseason. There were plenty of yards to be gained with receivers running open but Dak just couldn't get them the ball against Carolina. That would have made a difference.
Part of my intention here is to deflect the rhetoric we’re already recieving from Jerry attempting to use Linehan and our play calling as the scapegoat instead of pointing to the talent and other personnel decisions which could have more effects.

All off season we heard how improved this recieving Corp by committee would be an improvement after losing our two top recievers. I’d say after one game it’s been a complete failure. Pardon me if I’m out in front but with the other rhetoric going on I felt it necessary to redirect.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Not one game, most of last season too, with a "more" talented group. The same issues from last year have carried over to this year.

Bryant
TWill
Beasley
Switzer
Butler
Witten

Hurns
TWill
Beasley
Austin
Gallup
3 man TE group

Hurns is downgrade from Dez
TWill is TWill
Beasley is Beasley
Austin is upgrade to Switzer
FOr now Gallup and Brice is a wash
Witten is still better than the 3 stiffs that were trotted out week 1.
They should have dressed and played Rico. We would have won the game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
According to Linehan the system changed and the WRs\TEs. But also the OL personnel changed.
And Tyron Smith looked awful, Connor Williams looked awful and Freebeard is out.

So a few things changed.

Now I agree the WR Corp is not good enough.

But with so many moving parts it’s hard to say.
I’d agree . There are several contributing factors none of which Jerry used as a scapegoat.

I’m just arguing I believe contrary to Jerry’s rhetoric our issues are more talent or lack of it related than playcalling.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Everyone knew this was going to be a problem. Just the fact that it was described as a "receiving corps by committee" when every receiving corps on a football team is already a committee tells you everything you needed to know.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure why it’s difficult for some fans to admit that losing Dez and Witten would certainly have some effects without replacing them with similar talent level ?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Whoever thought this recieving Corp would be ok should be fired.

You can’t come in with less talent and expect better results. It’s amazing we expect our coaching to elevate lesser talent . Lol

We want to place blame everywhere but the talent or lack of it.

Don’t buy the rhetoric coming out of front office and Jerry. They’re just trying to cover up their poor personnel decisions.

Our passing offense is struggling because of a lack of talent.
I am going to put it on Garrett’s shoulders and he should be held accountable.

aria

Reaction score
I thought it was a horrible idea to begin with and was surprised how many fans Jerry had chugging his Jerry Aid that this would work. On the other hand, I don’t care who our receivers or TE’s are because when Dak can’t get them the ball when they’re wide open 5-10 yards downfield it doesn’t matter. You think Dak could hit OBJ streaking 40 yards down the sideline? I don’t. Even as slow as Witten was, Dak would have missed him 5 yards downfield against Carolina. Even if we had a true #1, I bet teams wouldn’t even double cover him, would still load the box and would force Dak to make the throw.

Let’s just hope he gets his act together this Sunday.

CWR

Reaction score
If the film shows the receivers were consistently getting open can we really put all the blame on them?

This is like any other unit we've overhauled in the past few years. It wasnt long ago we had no DL, or our secondary was trash. Its going to take a year or two before our receivers are up to snuff, but I still think we can get by with these guys.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score

You can’t come in with less talent and expect better results. It’s amazing we expect our coaching to elevate lesser talent . Lol

Don’t buy the rhetoric coming out of front office and Jerry. They’re just trying to cover up their poor personnel decisions.

Uh, that's EXACTLY what coaches are supposed to do. At least the good ones. They place their players in better positions to win based on their roster talent and limitations.

But I get why you have this misguided thought process. Here in Dallas we've been so used to the substandard coaching of Jason Garrett that it's easy to forget that NFL head coaches are actually supposed to elevate their team by putting them in positions where their players' weaknesses are masked and their strengths are accentuated.

The Natural

Reaction score
I’m not sure why it’s difficult for some fans to admit that losing Dez and Witten would certainly have some effects without replacing them with similar talent level ?
Pride. A lot of these guys spent the last year railing against Dez and Witten so they just want to be proven right. I can hear them sunday night now "its only been 2 weeks"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Pride. A lot of these guys spent the last year railing against Dez and Witten so they just want to be proven right. I can hear them sunday night now "its only been 2 weeks"
Probably so. Sad that drives an argument.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Uh, that's EXACTLY what coaches are supposed to do. At least the good ones. They place their players in better positions to win based on their roster talent and limitations.

But I get why you have this misguided thought process. Here in Dallas we've been so used to the substandard coaching of Jason Garrett that it's easy to forget that NFL head coaches are actually supposed to elevate their team by putting them in positions where their players' weaknesses are masked and their strengths are accentuated.
Right .. we know coaching isn’t a strength Jerry will allow so we can’t rely on that aspect.

But most teams rely more on their elite talent to mask their weaknesses. We did the same with Romo for years. That’s nothing new here.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Watch the game film. These WR's and TE's were getting open. The issue was someone wasn't delivering the ball. This is the same thing we saw last year. When the O-line isn't giving him all day to throw and the ground game isn't there, Dak will struggle. Dak isn't Romo. He isn't capable of dragging this team, against all odds, to victory. My concern is that even when the line was giving him ample time to throw, he seemed gun shy. He pocket presence was also terrible. I'm not ready to throw in the towel as it was just one game and maybe he was just off, rusty. But if we go out against the Giants and things look the same I'll officially start to worry.

Rayman70

Reaction score
it was 1 game guys,with a new cast around Dak. Lets be patient.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Watch the game film. These WR's and TE's were getting open. The issue was someone wasn't delivering the ball. This is the same thing we saw last year. When the O-line isn't giving him all day to throw and the ground game isn't there, Dak will struggle. Dak isn't Romo. He isn't capable of dragging this team, against all odds, to victory. My concern is that even when the line was giving him ample time to throw, he seemed gun shy. He pocket presence was also terrible. I'm not ready to throw in the towel as it was just one game and maybe he was just off, rusty. But if we go out against the Giants and things look the same I'll officially start to worry.
Yea, but all off season we are drilled that the problem was our recievers not getting separation and running good routes?

links18

Reaction score
Sometimes I think this franchise is just cursed.

The concept you are looking for is "snakebit."

You know like when they spend a 2nd on a guy with nerve damage in his leg and he continues to struggle in year 3. Or when a 2nd is used on a guy addicted to a banned substance and he is repeatedly suspended or when they think they can just plug skinny guys into the OL and everything will be just dandy. Snakebit!

blueblood70

Reaction score

dude you obviously missed all the videos and tape from game 1 a disaster? Dak missed many and I mean Many wide open TE and WR..period, you have to hit the open guys..this was on Dak..Disaster after game 1 is laughable use of word..they did nothing wrong..I saw open guys and balls not being delivered..which WR dropped passes and ran wrong routes? you are WAY off.