Recovering files from a bad internal hard drive?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Buy a tent and live in the woods, so you never have to deal with technology again.

I say that, because I have no idea. I'm guessing these are files you couldn't back up.

Hardline

Reaction score
Buy a tent and live in the woods, so you never have to deal with technology again.

I say that, because I have no idea. I'm guessing these are files you couldn't back up.
I could've backed them up but never did.
The majority of files on the corrupted HD I don't care about. But I have over 2000 songs and many audio books I don't want to lose.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I could've backed them up but never did.
The majority of files on the corrupted HD I don't care about. But I have over 2000 songs and many audio books I don't want to lose.
Ugh, that sucks. If there was a theater, seated according to computer tech savvy, I'd be in the front row, looking up at the screen and trying to figure out what I was looking at...Either that, or I'd be taking a bathroom break and getting popcorn.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
There are some free software to recover your file if the had drive can be accessible ( some free)
now is the problem on the logical board or the mechanical part of the hard drive?
with logical board you can swap it with the same model and you might be lucky
the mechanical part can be fixed too but i would send it to a local data recovery company if the data is very important

LOcAVUX.jpg

Hardline

Reaction score
Recovery software doesn't work. I tried .
I was thinking you could do it from BIOS or something.

Them

Reaction score
...Yeah I think your hard drive has to be in good condition, before you can recover them with online programs...I have done that myself, and it does work ,if the drive is not malfunctioning. IMO the next best move is to take it to a computer shop...They have ways of recovering the data depending on the severity of the comdition of your hard drive...Call them up , see what they say!....

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take it to an expert. They are out there. But it will cost a pretty penny.
^^^ If the data is very important, this is the best advice.

I would not attempt to use consumer data recovery software unless you are okay with the risk of losing the data permanently.

There are companies that specialize in data recovery, but as Rockport stated, it will cost you.

Creeper

Reaction score
Recovery software doesn't work. I tried .
I was thinking you could do it from BIOS or something.

As the Fonz indicated in his reply if the controller board has failed the only way to recover the data on the actual disk is to replace the controller board, but it must be with a controller board from an exact make and model of the disk with the bad board. Trust me when I tell you, it must be an exact match or it will not work. I have tried this a few times and it has never worked because finding a controller board to match the disk drive that failed is really really hard, even if the controller ID numbers are the same. You can try a data recovery company but you may find the cost isn't worth it. Good luck.

Software will only work if the controller on the drive is working. Software will fix data corruption issues which are write issues on the disk itself. These usually occur right before the controller fails. Good tip. If you start to see funny things happening on a hard drive, back it up immediately because chances are the controller is about to malfunction. If you are lucky you can get the data off before a complete failure.