Red zone offense - interesting fact

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Of Dak's 32 TDs last season (rushing and passing) in 18 games - including the two playoff games - he had 21 red zone TDs.
Also, all 8 of his rushing TDs were in the red zone.

A running QB is a huge advantage, particularly in the red zone and goal line. 8 rushing TDs from a QB is a big deal. Dak has 6 in each regular season he has played.

Notice that the rate of rushing TDs went up in the playoffs. When it's win or go home, run Dak.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Of Dak's 32 TDs last season (rushing and passing) in 18 games - including the two playoff games - he had 21 red zone TDs.

I'm a huge Dak fan....but this is an obvious stat that's probably similar for most NFL QBs. Not sure it's that significant unless the numbers are huge, like top 5. Think about it, unless they're tossing tons 30+ TD passes, most will come inside the red zone, same for running. In fact, I'm guessing stats will show for some QBs, ALL their rushing TDs were inside the red zone.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Dude is built like a HummV. I don't think we should over use that because of injury risk and lack of a good fall back plan but when he sees it, pedal to the mat!

Hadenough

Reaction score

Dak Prescott was 36-70 inside the 20 yd line for 12 TDs for a 51% completion percentage. Lets narrow it down more and see how he did inside the 10.
He was 15-30 inside the 10yd line for 7 TDs with a 50% completion percentage.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/redzone-passing.htm

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
2018 (after Cooper trade)
% of drives ending in TD

last play of drive was from inside red zone
NFL avg 63.6%
Dallas 54.5% (29th)

last play of drive was from OUTSIDE red zone
NFL avg 16.6%
Dallas 28.6% (2nd)

2016-17
% of drives ending in TD

NFL avg 57.3%
Dallas 64.3% (6th)

NFL avg 16.2%
Dallas 16.7% (15th)

visionary

Reaction score
A running QB is a huge advantage, particularly in the red zone and goal line. 8 rushing TDs from a QB is a big deal. Dak has 6 in each regular season he has played.

Notice that the rate of rushing TDs went up in the playoffs. When it's win or go home, run Dak.

ESP difficult to defend when you factor a great OL and great RB

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Distribution of 1st-down targets, 2018 (games 8-18)
OUTSIDE red zone
Cooper 27%
tight ends 22%
Elliott 16%
Beasley 12%
Gallup 10%
Brown 4%
others 9%

INSIDE red zone
Elliott 25%
tight ends 25%
Beasley 17%
Gallup 13%
Brown 13%
Cooper 0%
others 7%

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

Hadenough

Reaction score
Distribution of 1st-down targets, 2018 (games 8-18)
OUTSIDE red zone
Cooper 27%
tight ends 22%
Elliott 16%
Beasley 12%
Gallup 10%
Brown 4%
others 9%

INSIDE red zone
Elliott 25%
tight ends 25%
Beasley 17%
Gallup 13%
Brown 13%
Cooper 0%
others 7%
I seem to remember that Cooper caught some tipped TD pass inside the red zone so he didnt really have zero plays inside the red zone. He also caught some screen pass against the giants where he rolled in then peeled out. So he had a couple TDs inside the redzone but nothing thrown to him when he was in the endzone.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I seem to remember that Cooper caught some tipped TD pass inside the red zone so he didnt really have zero plays inside the red zone. He also caught some screen pass against the giants where he rolled in then peeled out. So he had a couple TDs inside the redzone but nothing thrown to him when he was in the endzone.
The info I posted was 1st-down targets on plays that began inside the red zone. According to PFR, Cooper wasn't targeted on first down inside the 20. And that's after leading the team in 1st-down targets outside the red zone.

conner01

Reaction score
I think you are right

conner01

Reaction score
The info I posted was 1st-down targets on plays that began inside the red zone. According to PFR, Cooper wasn't targeted on first down inside the 20. And that's after leading the team in 1st-down targets outside the red zone.
Thank sounds better

Hadenough

Reaction score
Got it!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
2018 (after Cooper trade)
% of drives ending in TD

NFL avg 63.6%
Dallas 54.5% (29th)

NFL avg 16.6%
Dallas 28.6% (2nd)

2016-17
% of drives ending in TD

NFL avg 57.3%
Dallas 64.3% (6th)

NFL avg 16.2%
Dallas 16.7% (15th)
These comparable 2018 to 2016 stats inside the red zone are very good. It shows how an Offense with injured Oline, depleted receivers group, plus lesser TEs truly affects a young Dallas Offense. Add in a recently released O-Coordinator (Linehan), it explains why the Cowboys O's red zone stats decreased so much. Even then they won the NFC East, won their first playoff game (at home) and came within 1 missed D play late in the game from giving Dak and this O the ball back to what very likely would have ended up in a game winning drive. The Rams were ******** bricks at the end and got away luckily with a win thanks to Heath blindly allowing for Goff to bootleg around the right edge and get a first down on a scramble. This year's Cowboys team and Offense will definitely be so much better. Get your popcorn ready.

GenoT

Reaction score
Unfortunately, none of these otherwise meaningless stats have yet translated to postseason advancement, past the div round.