Redball Express Soap Box-True to our DNA

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think we need to work on the attractive assistant part FIRST. The strip clubs are closed and I am sure you can add an assistant cheaply right now.
Essential assistant?

Check.

Taylor's sister can crew my boat anytime.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I find it amusing when people complain about bringing in guys who are not "boy scouts" and others who complain because we won't bring in or draft guys with issues saying we already have enough "boy scouts"

Darned if you do, Darned if you don't.

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you fall on...or in some cases, off.
True.

Sad but true.

This team tries to be unlike the Raiders..

but they hire all our guys like Witten and Marinelli.

So we must be their farm team.

Then there is the Amari trade to consider.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I find it amusing when people complain about bringing in guys who are not "boy scouts" and others who complain because we won't bring in or draft guys with issues saying we already have enough "boy scouts"

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you fall on...or in some cases, off.
If I want Boy Scouts, I will petition to have them reinstated.
If I want Choir Boys, I will go to church.
A little crazy never hurts, just talk to Charles Haley for a few minutes.

John813

Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I can think of Josh Brent and Greg Hardy that fall into that category too. Maybe Adam Jones
Ro McClain had drug and motivational issues that popped up again.

Dez had a rough childhood and IMO had minor off the field issues with money when he started to get paid. But he doesn't really fall into the category OP is referring to IMO

It's been a hit or miss.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I can think of Josh Brent and Greg Hardy that fall into that category too. Maybe Adam Jones
Ro McClain had drug and motivational issues that popped up again.

Dez had a rough childhood and IMO had minor off the field issues with money when he started to get paid. But he doesn't really fall into the category OP is referring to IMO

It's been a hit or miss.
Yeah..

You listed the usual suspects.

Plus Lance Rentzel and Rafeal Septien.

I rest my case.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If I want Boy Scouts, I will petition to have them reinstated.
If I want Choir Boys, I will go to church.
A little crazy never hurts, just talk to Charles Haley for a few minutes.
Boy scouts?

Man they making the news alot.

Now the Girl Scouts be laying low.

:p

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not want to make a list and yes it is the past history.

But it still happens today.

The question is do you like it or not.

Not validation it has occurred.

It seems obvious it always has been.

What is it that bothers you?

Me?

The question?

What the question implies?

I am not making these decisions.

Your rebuttal needs more thought.

Thanks.

Nothing about it bothers me. Was just asking past or present of both. But does it matter. They try to improve the team with reclamation projects. They haven’t worked out. Maybe for a year or so, but they have not for the long run.

Gregory is a different story as he was a draft pick and still under contract.

But the comment ... numerous others ... seemed to imply there are more in the team with the current roster.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Nothing about it bothers me. Was just asking past or present of both. But does it matter. They try to improve the team with reclamation projects. They haven’t worked out. Maybe for a year or so, but they have not for the long run.

Gregory is a different story as he was a draft pick and still under contract.

But the comment ... numerous others ... seemed to imply there are more in the team with the current roster.
No I was not implying..

Only the quys I mentioned..

but yes, in the past others.

This team has been resourceful in years gone by.

I remember back in the mid-60s when the team actually had what it called "Kicking Caravans".

They were trying to find place kickers and punters for the team. It was sort of crazy..

I remember stories about people leaving their jobs to go try out then go back to work waiting for a phone call to be invited to Thousand Oaks.

I am sure there is some info still out there about that.

Quirky. But I think Danny Villenueva was signed that way. I think.

So I like that sort of "pull out all the stops" win approach.

Same things with multiple offenses and the Landry Hitch and the Flex defense.

We have always been different and tried different to win.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Getting back to the original point of the thread, I think the Cowboys have really only went out and signed one really troubled player recently, and that was Greg Hardy in 2015. That backfired horribly.

The Aldon Smith deal is better because essentially every penny is tied to incentives. I think I've read somewhere the Cowboys can cut him anytime and only take a $440,000 cap hit.

In the past, they've held onto players like Michael Irvin, Leon Lett, etc. because they were All-Pro talents that contributed to Super Bowl winning teams.

I don't think giving troubled players second chances is really in the Cowboys' DNA anymore than it is with other teams. I just think the media plays it up to sound that way because, well, it's the Cowboys.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ain't that the way of the world? In so many endeavors.

Qcard

Reaction score
Ok..

My first Soap Box discussion..

Are we being true to our DNA lately.?

If so, do you like it or hate it?

When I say "our DNA' I mean our reputation as an organization to sign, work with and play players who have had problems.

There is another thread here about Dwain Thomas and the story on him.

Got me thinking.

Take Aldon Smith as an example. Troubled guy, huge talent, out of football 4 years..we sign him.

Randy Gregory. You know the story.

Numerous others.

I say this is part of who we are and you either love it or hate it.

So what do you guys think?

Over to you.

Let's see, I have regular popcorn, butter popcorn, sea salt flavor, caramel popcorn for the diabetics and garlic salt and cheddar cheese popcorn.

Take your choice and have a seat and let's chat. Refreshments in the next thread.

I want to do this sort of like Cowherd does his show. You know he has guests, they chat, he leads, he asks questions. No beautiful assistant yet, though.

Carry on.

:omg:
Risk taker is the DNA... quintessential Jerry Jones.
Nice post...popcorn kettle corn Sir!