Referee bias? Nope

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
But did they need to be called? Are other teams just as sloppy but they don’t get flagged?
Pre snap penalties, hands to the face. Illegal block in the back all drive killers or extenders (49ers) and all getting called every time.

The Cowboys are a slopfest on the field which doesn't mean the calls are uneven or unfair.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Anthony Brown and Connor Williams became referee targets at points during the year. When players get called for something more because of previous calls than the infraction itself I have a problem with it. Just like the first hold call on Williams last week. He never held that guy but was near him when he fell down and got called. That was a reputation call rather than an infraction call IMO.

The game last week overall was fine but the Umpire was a mess the whole game- period. From the delay of game penalty to the final play. He was a mess!

Pentagruel

Reaction score
There’s actually an interesting stat which shows that Both Dallas and their opponents are both flagged at an incredibly high rate, far higher then the league average for a game. Are both Dallas and their opponents sloppy only for Dallas games? Highly unlikely. This suggests there is most definitely bias from the officials in Dallas games but not that it is directed for or against Dallas.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
But did they need to be called? Are other teams just as sloppy but they don’t get flagged?

This is what the conspiracy crews are supposed to come up with when they make their accusations but they never, ever, ever, ever, do for some reason. Why is that? Instead, we get the hazy, non-concrete, "It's obvious refs are against us! Anyone that doesn't see it is willfully ignorant" or my favorite, "y'all are afraid of what you can't control so you ignore this obvious malfeasance!" Lol.

It's called an inability to accept a loss, so you get creative to spin it into how you really didn't lose but got it stolen from you. Sound familiar? It's the posture of losers at work.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Fans who are convinced there is a bias, or worse an anti-Cowboys conspiracy, will never be swayed regardless of facts.

They need to believe it, because it's easier than accepting the Cowboys are a poorly run football operation with little chance of a SB until that changes.

Worse still? It's probably never going to change as long as the Jones family owns the team. So expect the ref-blaming to continue.

Mannix

Reaction score
There is one very good litmus test for this question....how many times every game do you see something called against us or not called on the other team (holding almost every pass play) that makes you come off the sofa and scream "what the flip".....versus penalties on the other team that make you go "WOW....did we really get one there".....I can watch a game with a very unbiased lens being hyper critical of this team due to the last 26 years, so I will tell you that a see VERY FEW penalties on our opponents that are not deserved.....not to mention the number of penalties versus our opponent that eliminate a big play....usually at a crucial time.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's called an inability to accept a loss, so you get creative to spin it into how you really didn't lose but got it stolen from you. Sound familiar? It's the posture of losers at work.

Hmmmm, sounds familiar. Meh, MyPillowGuy knows the truth!

Aven8

Reaction score
No bias. Parsons was just held about 29 times and Gregory another 36 this season. What’s the big deal?…..

shabazz

Reaction score
I still believe there is a bias when Dallas opponents don’t get a single holding call for 9 or 10 weeks like that one stretch last year or the year before. And there was a blatant hold against Parsons on 1st TD this past week.

……and that was because it was a FACT that not one player in 1000 plays, ever held our guys….not one single time…….sad that any one can actually believe that this is true.

Heath

Reaction score
THERE ISNT ONE

THIS SEASON ALONE OUR OPPONENTS WERE FLAGGED THE 2ND MOST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

But you would agree that Connor Williams was being scrutinized far more because of his perceived penchant for holding, I assume?

Same is true for teams.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
How often does a DL player get called for holding a OL player on a run play? You won’t see that much at all and we had 2 of them.
I’m not saying we didn’t suck but come on!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I have a friend who's a Minnesota fan. Timberwolves, Vikings, Twins. He is 100% convinced that every sports league is so rigged that it's pre-determined and staged on the level of the WWE. Players are in on it, Coaches, Refs, Announcers, exactly like professional wrestling. On the Browns forum, there are a lot of people who think this way too. They get banned sometimes because they go so overboard with it. Cubs fans think they're "cursed." As do Indians fans.

Do you believe Steelers fans think the NFL is rigged? Ravens fans? Patriots fans? Do you think Yankees fans think baseball is rigged? Warriors fans think basketball is rigged?

There is a common denominator between all these theories: "Impressionable" fans of a team that doesn't win for long periods of time cannot accept that the team really is what they show on the field.

There's always going to be a team that's the least disciplined team in the league, that's how relativism works. Someone had to be at the bottom, and it's impossible, after everything you've seen over the last 3, 5, 10+ years, that it's Dallas? No other explanation than the NFL wants to lose money just so they don't see you move on in the playoffs?

Last edited:

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Most of the time it is about the timing of the flags and if both teams are being penalized for the same things.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many people don't really understand the concept of bias nor recognize that their bias impacts how they see things also.

As I've said before, as an umpire myself, I'm so focused on making the right call, I don't have time for bias. I know of no officials who have ever said they are going to call plays against a certain team because they don't like the coach, players, etc. And officials who try to "fix" games, once they're discovered are ejected from the officiating game.

However, umpires DO take note of certain players and coaches, their temperament, what they complain about most, etc., and try to be very particular about calls because they know someone is going to give them grief about it. But this isn't a matter of bias in as much as it's preparing for the game, anticipating certain situations and being on your "P's" and "Q's."

And, quite frankly, officials make mistakes. Just like players do, just like coaches do, just like we all do. But making mistakes doesn't mean being bias.

These officials didn't have it in for Dallas. Dallas did themselves a disservice by not being ready to play. But when you can't accept responsibility, blame it on someone else, in this case, the refs.

There is a bias in everything humans do. It's not always intentional. Juts the way things get processed.

Your eye and brain don't see the world around you. It sees a construct. Your brain has to reassemble information it receives. It has to process and assess it's own information. There's no oversight.

So this brain has to judge a reconstruction of a ball or strike, a hold or twitch. It has to decide to call it or not call it. There are emotional "heat of the moment" factors involved. All kinds of factors, including "normal" human error.

It's true you could probably call a penalty on every play. Yet they don't. Bias.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Most of the time it is about the timing of the flags and if both teams are being penalized for the same things.

Yes, timing. The ultimate escape hatch and go-to when the other team gets penalized more. What I hear about timing is "late, game-affecting." Did this qualify in the Patriots game in overtime with the Pats with the ball first on 3rd Down about to cross midfield?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There is a bias in everything humans do. It's not always intentional. Juts the way things get processed.

Your eye and brain don't see the world around you. It sees a construct. Your brain has to reassemble information it receives. It has to process and assess it's own information. There's no oversight.

So this brain has to judge a reconstruction of a ball or strike, a hold or twitch. It has to decide to call it or not call it. There are emotional "heat of the moment" factors involved. All kinds of factors, including "normal" human error.

It's true you could probably call a penalty on every play. Yet they don't. Bias.

:lmao: