Twitter: Refs bailing like the Titanic from the NFL

erod

Reaction score
I follow both sports closely and the NBA isn’t even in the ballpark, compared to NFL officials, as being the most incompetent in all of pro sports.

They got 7 guys out there and have to look at replays — whether from challenges or by league decree — about every third-fourth play or so, and they STILL get the call wrong as often as not.

The NBA is rigged. The calls are just absolute guesses, except that the massive number of errors seems entirely intentional.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, it was Blandino who overruled it during the challenge. Steratore originally called it a catch.

Actually, Steratore didn't make the call. He was just the crew chief who reviewed the replay with New York and announced the call.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Actually, Steratore didn't make the call. He was just the crew chief who reviewed the replay with New York and announced the call.

Well, my point remains. He wasn't the one that called it incomplete initially. The replay official in NY (I believe to be Blandino at the time) was the one that made the call for Gene to announce.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Well, my point remains. He wasn't the one that called it incomplete initially. The replay official in NY (I believe to be Blandino at the time) was the one that made the call for Gene to announce.

Yep. And he got the reversal right.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I miss the Pikachu persona...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, these refs are old. Been referring for over 4 decades at some level. Just retiring ..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The game is being put more in the refs hands every off season with the rule additions and if I were one, I would not want the responsibility laid on me along with the blame.

The targeting rule in college is much easier to call than it's going to be in the NFL and this could slow down a 60 minute game easily to 3:30-3:45 with more stops than ever before. They really had no choice with the new rule but the coaches, players and fans are going to hate it if it is really enforced.

It has taken some time for the college game to adjust and the coaches to modify how they teach. The NFL has players that have been kamikazing for a long time and instincts in football are hard to control. With regards to streamlining the games, they're going the wrong direction.

Next step is suspensions for targeting like college because we're going to see players get a 2nd violation within games and if that player is injured, you're looking at 4:00 to play 60 minutes of football. These are going to be judgement calls second guessed by analysts that by and large do not like refs. All of that for a part-time gig for a bunch of billionaires. Maybe they can get some of the cheerleaders to ref for extra pay?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
NFL refs are older guys with leisure time, who are not full-time professionals but who ref games for s—ts and giggles.

By using low-cost amateur refs, the NFL and the NFLPA save a few dimes, sure...but that’s why we end up with games being decided by blind old men — who can’t get it right on the field in the first place — having their mistakes supported after-the-fact by arcane rulings, such as the Tuck Rule, which began the Brady Era, or the just-rewritten receiving rule which, in its previously ridiculous form, put us on the wrong end of Catch/No Catch in 2014.

Put all these current fuggs in a sack and drown ‘em...then go out and hire/train — and hold accountable — some full-time profe$$ional referees
Like what happened in the first third or so of the 2012 season? Yeah, that really worked out... NOT.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
You mean like the NBA? Those guys are much worse.
Agreed. The NFL may have some crappy rules and even the experienced refs & "judges" may get an occasional judgment call wrong, but at least they don't gamble on the games and give their corrupt commissioner (whether it's Stern or Silver) and his cronies what they want 90% of the time, including in the past 4 years. Like they do in the corrupt-*** NBA.