Regarding the new forum changes *** MERGED ***

goshan

Reaction score
Bleu Star;1283672 said:
My 2 cents, I spend hours reading and occasionally responding to this site. I would definitely consider myself a heavy user as of 4-6 weeks ago. I actually like the new ideas. I can get my quick rush in one forum and my brain stimulation in the other. at least that's what I see thus far. As I stated, just my 2 cents.

That is fine. But I am a HEAVY USER and I don't like the new structure and neither do several other HEAVY USERS.
Maybe there are two or more types of HEAVY USERS (based upon personality, web site behavior or something else).

But the solution I proposed (actually theOGT proposed it before I did) would work for you, me, Adam T and theOGT. That is my point. It works for everyone.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
goshan;1283673 said:
Seven, this may be true of you. But my company (it is a big, well known company in Web Design) does this sort of research all the time. For this type of site, the majority of new users will look for a 'Main Forum' and attempt to find a 'home' there.

A multiple forum approach works well for broad discussion sites/portals or technical support type sites where you have a question about a specific type of product. For narrowly focused sited, like Dallas Cowboys Discussion, a multiple-forum approach is not recommended.
I think it's already been stated that we're not locked into this particular format. However, I think some need to give it a chance to see how it works. It's already growing on me. I liked the suggestions, but I wasn't sure how it was going to work. When Reality manages to place a link to allow the switching back and forth between the two forums, I think it'll be even better.

Also, I think users need to get used to the idea of NEW and CURRENT format and make suggestions for it. Because the old format is not coming back... People should wrap their mind around those parameters and come with something new.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1283689 said:
I think it's already been stated that we're not locked into this particular format. However, I think some need to give it a chance to see how it works. It's already growing on me. I liked the suggestions, but I wasn't sure how it was going to work. When Reality manages to place a link to allow the switching back and forth between the two forums, I think it'll be even better.

Also, I think users need to get used to the idea of NEW and CURRENT format and make suggestions for it. Because the old format is not coming back.
Constructive suggestion:

Use tabs in Firefox. Have one forum in one tab and the other forum in the other tab.

This basically makes viewing CowboysZone like viewing mulitple websites. I preferred when I only had to view one website to get my CZ fix, but such is life.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
theogt;1283668 said:
Whenever I visit a new forum I go straight to one place -- where the most amount of posts are.

Does not necessarily deem many posts worth reading or any posts that would intrest you. You would move on, no? One would venture into another forum? Yes?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
goshan;1283684 said:
That is fine. But I am a HEAVY USER and I don't like the new structure and neither do several other HEAVY USERS.
Maybe there are two or more types of HEAVY USERS (based upon personality, web site behavior or something else).

But the solution I proposed (actually theOGT proposed it before I did) would work for you, me, Adam T and theOGT. That is my point. It works for everyone.

Don't bite my head off man. I didn't know there was a secret society of alternative heavy users. :cool:

I'm on this site at least 5-6 hours a day reading and occasionally responding. I just don't see what all the fuss is about so early on. That's all. If that makes me part of the "heavy user minority" then so be it. I like the changes and look forward to seeing how they affect the "game day rush".

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1283695 said:
Constructive suggestion:

Use tabs in Firefox. Have one forum in one tab and the other forum in the other tab.

This basically makes viewing CowboysZone like viewing mulitple websites. I preferred when I only had to view one website to get my CZ fix, but such is life.
We have looked at tabs. It is a great suggestion and we'll keep it in mind.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1283689 said:
When Reality manages to place a link to allow the switching back and forth between the two forums, I think it'll be even better.

I believe this is the golden ticket.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seven;1283698 said:
Does not necessarily deem many posts worth reading or any posts that would intrest you. You would move on, no? One would venture into another forum? Yes?
I have no idea what you're saying.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
theogt;1283695 said:
Constructive suggestion:

Firefox > *

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1283702 said:
We have looked at tabs. It is a great suggestion and we'll keep it in mind.
I was talking about using Firefox as a webbrowser. Tabs on the actual website might be a little clunky. I haven't seen it used effectively elsewhere.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Seven;1283698 said:

Seven I understand what you are saying perfectly.

Seven

Reaction score
goshan;1283673 said:
Seven, this may be true of you. But my company (it is a big, well known company in Web Design) does this sort of research all the time. For this type of site, the majority of new users will look for a 'Main Forum' and attempt to find a 'home' there.

A multiple forum approach works well for broad discussion sites/portals or technical support type sites where you have a question about a specific type of product. For narrowly focused sited, like Dallas Cowboys Discussion, a multiple-forum approach is not recommended.

I hear ya.......just find that a little odd. A home would be a place or section of a MB that you found entertaining. I couldn't imagine a person making a home in a main forum yet doesn't find it gratifying. Surely they would have enough sense to find a place where they felt they could contribute or at the very least get in line with the ducks so to speak.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seven;1283723 said:
I hear ya.......just find that a little odd. A home would be a place or section of a MB that you found entertaining. I couldn't imagine a person making a home in a main forum yet doesn't find it gratifying. Surely they would have enough sense to find a place where they felt they could contribute or at the very least get in line with the ducks so to speak.
I think that's the point. The majority of people go to a single main forum because they find it most gratifying.

wileedog

Reaction score
goshan;1283673 said:

I do interface design for a living as well, and would just like to back up these points. Generally for message board discussion people like to set up camp in one place. Its rare to see multiple 'zones' get heavy traffic, depending on the topic of course.

Add me to the 'not liking the new format very much' list, its a pain also to get between the forums.

Seven

Reaction score
theogt;1283706 said:
I have no idea what you're saying.

If you go straight to the most posts are they worth reading? Are they worth commenting on? Are you kopestetic with the thread topics? Is there another forum, with less posts, that are more interesting? Would you not look for it if it had to do qith the Cowboys? Yes you would. You're a fan and the kind of person to nibble on every bit of infrmation that you possibly could pertaining to the Cowboys. You would not give up so easily as to dust crop the "most post" page and then move on. I hope that makes a little more sense. I'm not so good at putting pen to paper.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
am I the only one who sees no inconvienence in clicking over on the quick jump bar on the bottom?

I see the news in one section, and then user opinions in another seems easy and convienent to me

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Seven;1283743 said:
If you go straight to the most posts are they worth reading? Are they worth commenting on? Are you kopestetic with the thread topics? Is there another forum, with less posts, that are more interesting? Would you not look for it if it had to do qith the Cowboys? Yes you would. You're a fan and the kind of person to nibble on every bit of infrmation that you possibly could pertaining to the Cowboys. You would not give up so easily as to dust crop the "most post" page and then move on. I hope that makes a little more sense. I'm not so good at putting pen to paper.
I typically go to forums for two things: (1) information and (2) discussion.

Forums with more traffic tend to offer better quality of both.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BigDFan5;1283751 said:
am I the only one who sees no inconvienence in clicking over on the quick jump bar on the bottom?

I see the news in one section, and then user opinions in another seems easy and convienent to me
Which is easier? (1) Clicking on two different forums to have mulitple conversations or (2) having all the conversations in one forum.

Of course it's not a difficult task to switch back and forth, but is it an inconvenience? Sure.