Regardless of how season ends, Jerry: Please Keep Wade

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2476249 said:
LeBeau has been a HC before and he was terrible but it was in Cincy. :laugh2:

My dream HC would be Jeff Fisher. His teams are always prepared and very well coached and no other coach knows the rulebook like he does.

:) yes I know Dick was a head coach for Cincy about half a decade ago but nobody could have turned that program around with that team, coaching staff and owner, not even Vince Lombardi, lol.

You won't get him as a DC and if we want to keep this 3-4 there isn't anyone who does it better than LeBeau who would be available. Norv Turner isn't going to coach under a guy like Spags or any other rookie for that matter but he would for a LeBeau and so would Romeo. We get Spags, we go 4-3 unless Wade puts his tail between his legs and that's if Spags doesn't have his way anyhow and shows Wade the door.

Bottom line Jerry won't go after Spags and not sure Spags wouldwork for Jerry, so he may be a pipe dream and would represent a whole new defensive philosphy, team philosophy. Now imagine Demarcus Ware in a Dick LeBeau 3-4 with Romeo coordinating. Imagine getting a real OC like Turner or McDaniel with these offensive players. LeBeau is making Tomlin look pretty good over there and heck, he was Cowhers guy. I'll take Cowher too but how hungry is the guy and Jerry wants to be GM with all the say.

I'm sick of coaches who attract Bruce Read's and Brian Stewart's. I want geniuses like McDaniel and Spags. Young hungry but they represent too much change for Jerry so you need an older dog like LeBeau with some other power packed coordinators. LeBeau wouldn't expect GM power so Jerry still gets to tinker. Not that i like Jerry tinkering 100% but he's getting good at it and whether we like it or not Jerry is going to tinker, lol. So we have to be realistic.

In regards to Fischer, umm shhhyah. But he isn't going anywhere, Jerry tried to stir the pot for himlast year when his contract was coming up. Heck I want Belicheat but it isn't happening. So what's the contingency. In my opinion if we don't win the SB and we won't, it's Spags, Cowher or LeBeau. Screw the college ranks, Jimmy Johnson doesn't grow on trees.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
thewireman;2476267 said:
The only thing about Wades defense that doesn't seem to be mentioned here, is when this team gets a lead he goes in a prevent defense and so far has failed just about 100% of the time, makes the other teams score closer than it should be. I want a DC that can bring the pressure like it is now, but last that way threw all 4 quarters

Yah, they call him Dick LeBeau. The problem is, there is no way we'd get him as a DC. No one dials up a 3-4 like Dick. No one. 4-3, give me Johnson or Spags who learned from Johnson. We aren't going 4-3 though and neither of those guys are leaving their teams to be a DC either. I'll take Spags as a HC though, even if we have to change the Defense. A good 8 to 12 of the players on D are at least speculative to be her next year anyways.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2476269 said:
:) yes I know Dick was a head coach for Cincy about half a decade ago but nobody could have turned that program around with that team, coaching staff and owner, not even Vince Lombardi, lol.

You won't get him as a DC and if we want to keep this 3-4 there isn't anyone who does it better than LeBeau who would be available. Norv Turner isn't going to coach under a guy like Spags or any other rookie for that matter but he would for a LeBeau and so would Romeo. We get Spags, we go 4-3 unless Wade puts his tail between his legs and that's if Spags doesn't have his way anyhow and shows Wade the door.

Bottom line Jerry won't go after Spags and not sure Spags wouldwork for Jerry, so he may be a pipe dream and would represent a whole new defensive philosphy, team philosophy. Now imagine Demarcus Ware in a Dick LeBeau 3-4 with Romeo coordinating. Imagine getting a real OC like Turner or McDaniel with these offensive players. LeBeau is making Tomlin look pretty good over there and heck, he was Cowhers guy. I'll take Cowher too but how hungry is the guy and Jerry wants to be GM with all the say.

I'm sick of coaches who attract Bruce Read's and Brian Stewart's. I want geniuses like McDaniel and Spags. Young hungry but they represent too much change for Jerry so you need an older dog like LeBeau with some other power packed coordinators. LeBeau wouldn't expect GM power so Jerry still gets to tinker. Not that i like Jerry tinkering 100% but he's getting good at it and whether we like it or not Jerry is going to tinker, lol. So we have to be realistic.

In regards to Fischer, umm shhhyah. But he isn't going anywhere, Jerry tried to stir the pot for himlast year when his contract was coming up. Heck I want Belicheat but it isn't happening. So what's the contingency. In my opinion if we don't win the SB and we won't, it's Spags, Cowher or LeBeau. Screw the college ranks, Jimmy Johnson doesn't grow on trees.

If we got LeBeau away from Pitt to be the DC I'd drive to Dallas and kiss Jerry Jones on the lips. :laugh2:

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Cowboyz88;2475914 said:
I think Wade's problem is his inability, or perceived inability, to change.

When things aren't working or could be working better, this staff, led by Wade, is very slow to change. Maybe it's loyalty or stubbornness (especially with younger players), but it drives me crazy that he's so resistant.

Examples: Keeping Read when the special teams were lousy LAST year (they've cost us or at least contributed to two losses this year), waiting too long to relieve Stewart of his play calling duties, taking too long to insert Holland in place of Proctor who was CLEARLY ineffective, waiting too long to get Roy out of coverage, playing CBs way off receivers on a consistent basis, sticking with Brad Johnson when everyone could see he was washed up, slow in getting Choice involved even after Felix went down, etc.

He's got to be quicker in recognizing shortcomings and doing all he can to fix them as fast as possible.

Good post.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2476244 said:
Imagine the coaching tree for this team being like this:

HC: Spagnuolo (From the Champs)
OC: McDaniel (From the Pats, call him assistant HC if u have too) or Norv Turner
DC: Wade Phillips (Wouldn't happen, even Wade has some pride but Jerry could keep him at $3 million and the money means alot of respect.) Romeo Crennel can give it a go.

How bout this one?

HC: Dick LeBeau (Rather have Spags)
OC: McDaniel or Norv Turner
DC: Whoever LeBeau wants, he can take his LB coach from Pitts with him or Romeo Crennel

After what he did with Cassel, McDaniel will be a head coach next year.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Chief;2476339 said:
After what he did with Cassel, McDaniel will be a head coach next year.

Ohh absolutely, why do you think I want him. He could have been a HC last year but turned down all interviews. You never know how things go though and most people are saying there is not much to chose from if we let Wade go. But there is a whole bunch and that's 1 of the reason's I mention him, that's why I said "can you imagine this coaching tree?" in my post.

Yeagermeister: If we got LeBeau away from Pitt to be the DC I'd drive to Dallas and kiss Jerry Jones on the lips. :laugh2:

Ohh man, I'd pay for the gas so we could go together. Could you imagine Jerry going over to Pittsburgh, lowering himself from his blimp and handing LeBeau a DC contract that he would accept. Better than winning the lottery.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm for keeping Wade, but not as HC. Convert him to DC and then he can stay. Otherwise, I show him the door.

Well, my only caveat is that the replacement matters too. If Jerry brings in garbage, it won't help and having Wade *might* be the better of two bad coaches. Bring in Cowher and move Wade to DC and I would be happy.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theebs;2475809 said:
chocolate lab is going to go into shock when he sees this thread.

:laugh2: :fact:

For those who would like Wade to stay as DC... Forget it. He has a lot of pride, and he's not going to take a demotion when "his" side of the ball has been improving while Jason's has gotten worse. (And don't look now, but is ranked several spots higher than the offense.) I'd love for him to be our Dick LeBeau and be the DC here and give his input on defensive players in the draft until old age, too, but he won't do that. If we fire him and Marty is hired in Cleveland, he'll go there to work with him again... You can google what Marty thinks of him as a defensive mind.

I dunno... The problem is always that if you fire a guy, you better be sure you have someone better to replace him. I like Wade personally, but if someone better were available, I'd be fine with replacing him. But it's not like Bill Belichick is on the market, either. And I do think continuity is important. Like I was posting last night, look at Carolina: Some really good years, even with a Super Bowl, and then a few awful ones. They didn't fire the coach and half the players, they just kept plugging along, drafted fairly well and got some better health, and now they're in position to win the NFC. So I just don't think it's a good idea to start over every few years unless you're SURE you have a clear upgrade available.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2476404 said:

For those who would like Wade to stay as DC... Forget it. He has a lot of pride, and he's not going to take a demotion when "his" side of the ball has been improving while Jason's has gotten worse. (And don't look now, but is ranked several spots higher than the offense.) I'd love for him to be our Dick LeBeau and be the DC here and give his input on defensive players in the draft until old age, too, but he won't do that. If we fire him and Marty is hired in Cleveland, he'll go there to work with him again... You can google what Marty thinks of him as a defensive mind.

I dunno... The problem is always that if you fire a guy, you better be sure you have someone better to replace him. I like Wade personally, but if someone better were available, I'd be fine with replacing him. But it's not like Bill Belichick is on the market, either. And I do think continuity is important. Like I was posting last night, look at Carolina: Some really good years, even with a Super Bowl, and then a few awful ones. They didn't fire the coach and half the players, they just kept plugging along, drafted fairly well and got some better health, and now they're in position to win the NFC. So I just don't think it's a good idea to start over every few years unless you're SURE you have a clear upgrade available.
:hammer: CL

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

I believe in continuity and patience. the teams that have it always find ways to win or at least be competitive.

Jerry thinks like a front running fan, superbowl or bust every year. Which might be the worst way to run a franchise.

as far as phillips goes. He has fixed the defense, but hes not the defensive coordinator he is the head coach and he is responsible for the whole teams result and effort.

the offense looked out of sync. I blame that on a couple of players, not the coaches...the head coach or the offensive coordinator.

there is no denying that this defense is well coached now and really believes in each other and there head coach. To me, I think that gets him next year for sure.

Like cl said yesterday, he has learned the players strengths and weaknesses and is using them nearly perfectly against the opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2476432 said:
I believe in continuity and patience. the teams that have it always find ways to win or at least be competitive.

Jerry thinks like a front running fan, superbowl or bust every year. Which might be the worst way to run a franchise.

as far as phillips goes. He has fixed the defense, but hes not the defensive coordinator he is the head coach and he is responsible for the whole teams result and effort.

the offense looked out of sync. I blame that on a couple of players, not the coaches...the head coach or the offensive coordinator.

there is no denying that this defense is well coached now and really believes in each other and there head coach. To me, I think that gets him next year for sure.

Like cl said yesterday, he has learned the players strengths and weaknesses and is using them nearly perfectly against the opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Here's my gut feeling why Jerry traded for Roy11-he probably knew deep down inside TO's ticking time bomb personality was ready to come out any moment. You can bet it'll come out in Feb(at the latest), and Jerry will show him the door.

With that being said, I honestly believe Wade is the guy here. This year has really been an anomaly for us(choking in the playoffs, the national media foaming over the mouth at us, "Hard Knocks", injuries, etc).

I don't like our chances this year-if we tank, so be it. But I DO love next year.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score

I question Wade's ability to manage an entire team, but this is a good post. Good points, CL.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Boysboy;2476448 said:
Here's my gut feeling why Jerry traded for Roy11-he probably knew deep down inside TO's ticking time bomb personality was ready to come out any moment. You can bet it'll come out in Feb(at the latest), and Jerry will show him the door.

With that being said, I honestly believe Wade is the guy here. This year has really been an anomaly for us(choking in the playoffs, the national media foaming over the mouth at us, "Hard Knocks", injuries, etc).

I don't like our chances this year-if we tank, so be it. But I DO love next year.

Dont kid yourself. Williams was brought in because Jerry's cronies like irvin and sanders kept on saying the guy on the other side cant get open and it is hurting owens. Willaims is young enough that he should be a good fit for this team down the road, we certainly cant draft a wr so i am fine with it.

The one thing that concerns me about williams is that I have heard aikman say on numerous occasions that roy williams was one of the worst route runners he has ever seen.

take that comment and then apply it to sunday and what the guy on the other side does and it makes sense why the offense can have some problems against a well disciplined defense like the steelers.

Jerry Will never remove owens from this team. never. I think if jerry had to make a decision between his coaches and his qb he would throw them under the bus and roll with owens.

neosapien23

Reaction score
If anyone deserves the axe, I nominate Jason Garret. His offense is really underachieving despite being loaded.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2476465 said:
The one thing that concerns me about williams is that I have heard aikman say on numerous occasions that roy williams was one of the worst route runners he has ever seen.

Oh great-so that makes what? Owens, Roy11, Crayton...at least THREE bad route runners on this team??

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Boysboy;2476471 said:
Oh great-so that makes what? Owens, Roy11, Crayton...at least THREE bad route runners on this team??

Crayton runs excellent routes. that is why he has hung on for so long.

he is a smart team first do what it takes player. He knows where to be and why to be there. Witten runs outstanding routes.

oh and for one of the sheep, feel free to plug in the play in the playoffs.
everyone makes mistakes.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2476475 said:
Crayton runs excellent routes. that is why he has hung on for so long.

he is a smart team first do what it takes player. He knows where to be and why to be there. Witten runs outstanding routes.

oh and for one of the sheep, feel free to plug in the play in the playoffs.
everyone makes mistakes.

I'd like to know why none of the receivers were on the same page in the Pitt game-that was Sham's concern yesterday.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

I totally agree that if the HC changes it only changes because of an upgrade. Said it myself in the past. 1 thing that is more grey than everyone wants to believe is the defense. I hear talk that Wade has this defense fixed but if you look at our last 8 games only Arizona and NYG have top 10 offenses. They both hung more than 30 points on us and oodles of yardage.

The others, with respect to Tampa at 17th, are all 20th or worse. We're not exactly stomping on prolific offenses here. Next week we should know better how developed this defense has become and even then the G-Men might play without Jacobs and obviously Plax won't be there. I do understand that you can only beat who's in front of you and there have been some key injuries/suspensions but this defense hasn't dominated a legitimate offense all year. In fact, any time this year when we faced a top 10 offense other than Green Bay, more than 30 points got hung on us. Although this defense is improving, lets not be blinded by its current progression in regards to overall performance.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd like to see Dallas get rid of Stewart and Read but the only coach that is currently out there that I'd rather have than Wade, right now, is Cowher. If we don't have a shot at Cowher I don't see anyone else I'd want. Maybe Holmgren if he wanted to coach again immediately but I doubt he's going to want to do that.

Boysboy

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2476668 said:
I'd like to see Dallas get rid of Stewart and Read but the only coach that is currently out there that I'd rather have than Wade, right now, is Cowher. If we don't have a shot at Cowher I don't see anyone else I'd want. Maybe Holmgren if he wanted to coach again immediately but I doubt he's going to want to do that.

Mike Holmgren is probably done now. He just doesn't have the passion and energy like he used to.