Regardless of how season ends, Jerry: Please Keep Wade

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
superpunk;2476821 said:
I think the decision on whether or not to keep Wade should depend VERY much on how the season ends.

Wade is coaching for his head coaching life, here. If he screws it up, well then so long....

I agree, decide his firing at the end of the season.

And, gee, you are ugly, Mr. Punk. Though a nice hat.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
mmohican29;2475788 said:
Ok I know I'm going to get alot of heat for this. But I've changed my mind on Wade. This team has played inspired ball since the Arizona game and the defense especially looks very very close to turning the corner and becoming a DOMINANT unit.

We've been hurt by the injury bug, and we've underachieved definitely: but since our initial death knell was reached vs Washington... the Defense has really stood out.

I think some major changes might need to be made that will hurt Wade personally maybe (Read has to go), and some hard decisions about what players this team needs to get where it needs to go... (goodbye TO?) but the "message" is getting through to our more youthful players and some vets have bought in.

Go ahead and roast me, but I hope Wade stays now. He's definitely put some signature on this team- this defense is attacking and is SOOoooo close to being an outstanding unit I'd hate to have the reason why go away.
I agree, keep wade, keep the system. Changing systems every few years does not help (see San Francisco).

I do agree that we need somebody else for Special Teams along w/ a few players like a kicker that can boot it into the endzone and just overall better tacklers.

rcaldw

Reaction score
This "keep Wade" sentiment will last until we lose a big game in an ugly fashion. (Lets hope it isn't New York this week)

Mike Singletary is looking good in SF.

MONT17

Reaction score
the fact Wade let Choice sit on the bench the entire season and refused to give him a role should be enough to fire him! what else talent do we have wasting away on the bench, we will never know because Wade is not a football coach he is a puppet!

is Doug Free better than Procter and Holland Wade doesnt care and until Sunday most fans didnt care about Choice!

sad

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
rcaldw;2477096 said:
This "keep Wade" sentiment will last until we lose a big game in an ugly fashion. (Lets hope it isn't New York this week)

Mike Singletary is looking good in SF.

Not to mention Sparano looks pretty good in Miami. And he was already here.:mad:

khiladi

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2476894 said:
Jason Garrett is getting on the job training too.

At this point, I would keep Wade around regardless how the season ends. Garrett has regressed as a playcaller and has shown nothing to indicate he is a viable headcoach, and I dont trust Jerry enough to make a smart decision about who to bring in here to replace the Son of Bum.

The problem with Jason getting on the job training is that he has nobody from an offensive perspective to keep him in check. Brian Stewart, on the other hand, had Wade to simply take the job away from him.

khiladi

Reaction score
MONT17;2477108 said:
the fact Wade let Choice sit on the bench the entire season and refused to give him a role should be enough to fire him! what else talent do we have wasting away on the bench, we will never know because Wade is not a football coach he is a puppet!

is Doug Free better than Procter and Holland Wade doesnt care and until Sunday most fans didnt care about Choice!

sad

This offense is in the hands of Jason Garrett, not Wade Phillips. According to reports, it was Wade that ultimately went to Houck and asked Holland if he was ready to go last week. Where was Garrett in all this? If Wade is a puppet, then why is it, when he took over, the defense clearly started changing it's philosophy and got better. While with Garrett, this offense has gotten sorrier and sorrier.

MrMom

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477114 said:
Not to mention Sparano looks pretty good in Miami. And he was already here.:mad:

How nice would a Sparano at HC, Parcells front office been?

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2476899 said:
Already posted in the thread, but I wanted to add one more thing... I really wish Wade could get one more draft to give his input on a couple of defensive players. Dan Reeves said he was an excellent judge of talent, and from reading between the lines a little, I think Wade had significant input into the Buffalo and San Diego drafts, particularly Olshansky, Shaun Phillips, and Castillo.

I also think he saw right away that Carpenter couldn't play, and that led to drafting Spencer, who I think is a player. In this past draft, Jenkins and Scandrick certainly look like long-time contributors for us.

I think we need DT (or NT), S, ILB, and backup OLB pretty badly, and I wish Wade could give his input on those selections. (And possibly lure Olshansky here if we can afford it.) Don't think it was ever mentioned, but last week Wade was talking in a PC about what he looks for in potential passrushers, and it was pretty interesting (at least to me). Not saying he's some guru, but I think he has a pretty good eye for for what a good defensive player looks like.

Carry on...

He is a guru...Dan Reeves, from what I remember, pretty much stated he was the best talent evaluator he worked with. He was also the defensive coordinator around the time the Eagles got players like Jerome Brown and Clyde Simmons. Cromartie was drafted on his clock as well, the year prior to last.
The fact is, as a head coach, Wade has never had really enough time to develop his own personnel. He has taken over jobs from people who were fired mid-season and so forth. He was there to maintain order. As a defensive coordinator, he turned that whole mess around in San Diego, given the time.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Givincer;2477050 said:
If that's true, no one in their right mind would fire Wade after this season, seeing as he's 21-9 with this football team. 20-7 with his starting quarterback.

The man deserves another year, even if he doesn't make the playoffs this year, based on his performance with the team thus far.

You forgot to include the post-season numbers...

Feel free to update your post.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
I am not quite ready to fire Wade yet, but you must ask yourself the following:

How many times has this team showed up unprepared for games?

Did Camp Cupcake do us any favors, or is the injury problem directly related to it?

How long into the season did it take for the team to start tackling well? Again, did Camp Cupcake have anything to do with this?

Penalties. Wade says they are on him. Do you agree with that?

How many times has Wade called for prevent defense when it was not smart to do so (example: Pittsburgh with 8 minutes left)?

Has this team underachieved or overachieved while Wade is coach?

These are the kinds of questions Jerry will ask himself this offseason.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Givincer;2477050 said:
If that's true, no one in their right mind would fire Wade after this season, seeing as he's 21-9 with this football team. 20-7 with his starting quarterback.

The man deserves another year, even if he doesn't make the playoffs this year, based on his performance with the team thus far.

Regular season doesn't mean jack squat. Wade is 0-fer in the playoffs.

newlander

Reaction score
I think Wade should stay too: as Bill Cowher's D. Coordinator.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2475809 said:
chocolate lab is going to go into shock when he sees this thread.

esp. when he sees that I...wait...AGREE

the guy I want to see gone is Jason Garrett, but unfortunately noone is going to want him to be their HC

khiladi

Reaction score
"How many times has Wade called for prevent defense when it was not smart to do so (example: Pittsburgh with 8 minutes left)?"Again, Wade was not playing prevent during that situation. Like I said before, they blitzed up the middle on that pass over the middle to Ken Hamlin. Per reports, the fact was there were break-downs in the secondary. he may be blamed for that, but not for playing prevent when he never did.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2477154 said:
esp. when he sees that I...wait...AGREE

the guy I want to see gone is Jason Garrett, but unfortunately noone is going to want him to be their HC

No one is going to want him as their OC.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
khiladi;2477155 said:
"How many times has Wade called for prevent defense when it was not smart to do so (example: Pittsburgh with 8 minutes left)?"Again, Wade was not playing prevent during that situation. Like I said before, they blitzed up the middle on that pass over the middle to Ken Hamlin. Per reports, the fact was there were break-downs in the secondary. he may be blamed for that, but not for playing prevent when he never did.

What ever the problem was, that's on Phillips. He took over the D.
Either that or his mouth was full of food and Stewart called the last minutes on D.

gmoney112

Reaction score
we had an amazing draft, our defense is playing their best football at the best time of the season, and people want wade gone? i don't get it. blame the offensive coordinator for not being able to get a first down when it counted.

the special teams are also really bad and thats inexcusable, but i think that will be addressed in the offseason. what's wade supposed to do with jason? jerry's already made it clear that garrett is his wonder boy and he hasn't been earning his paychecks.

jerry's also made it pretty clear given jason's salary that there's two coaches on this team. you gotta give wade credit, he can coach a defense. he makes some bad calls late in the game but for what he does he's excellent.

give me 3 more drafts like this year and this team will be loaded for the next decade.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477162 said:
What ever the problem was, that's on Phillips. He took over the D.
Either that or his mouth was full of food and Stewart called the last minutes on D.

I'm not disputing that. He may or he may not have been. People messed up their responisbility in the secondary per reports. Maybe Wade shouldn't have gone zone. But he isn't responsible for going prevent, which somebody claim he did. He blitzed up the middle. And you can be damn sure that defense for 55 minutes looked better than it ever did for many years. That is all on Wade... Bradie James looks like a beast, and he never did with Parcells. He was a laughing stock.