Regardless of how season ends, Jerry: Please Keep Wade

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
gmoney112;2477193 said:
we had an amazing draft, our defense is playing their best football at the best time of the season, and people want wade gone? i don't get it. blame the offensive coordinator for not being able to get a first down when it counted.

the special teams are also really bad and thats inexcusable, but i think that will be addressed in the offseason. what's wade supposed to do with jason? jerry's already made it clear that garrett is his wonder boy and he hasn't been earning his paychecks.

jerry's also made it pretty clear given jason's salary that there's two coaches on this team. you gotta give wade credit, he can coach a defense. he makes some bad calls late in the game but for what he does he's excellent.

give me 3 more drafts like this year and this team will be loaded for the next decade.

How much more talented can we get? Yes Philips finally made progress
with the defense. Against two very weak teams and one that couldn't do a thing right except one drive.

I think it has improved, but we will see this week if it's for real.
Home game, decent weather, home crowed. No excuses.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2477219 said:
How much more talented can we get? Yes Philips finally made progress
with the defense. Against two very weak teams and one that couldn't do a thing right except one drive.

I think it has improved, but we will see this week if it's for real.
Home game, decent weather, home crowed. No excuses.

i dont know, it's only his second season here. there's been a lot of injuries on D also, and frankly several players were flat overrated to begin the season. another season or two under his belt with personnel to fit his scheme and this defense will be nuts imo. we have no penetration on the ends except from ware and james.

pitt had the best field position you could ask for nearly the entire game and the D only gave up 13. gotta give em props for that

our offense has been very mediocre considering the talent we have on that side of the ball. i don't understand what the deal is but something needs to be done. it's almost as if witten or owens doesn't catch a 40 yarder on a drive they just kinda give up. maybe its just me

agreed on next week though. we'll see what dallas is capable of against the giants

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
zeromaster;2477018 said:
More late season comedy from GtB...

Change for its own sake; it'll make you feel better until the 'next guy' is no better, and then it'll be on to Jones and Owens and anyone else you can think of. But at least you'll be busy. :D

In case you haven't noticed, it has been "until the next guy" since Jimma left. I think that jerra was brilliant in hiring Jimma but has fallen flat on his face since then with the exception of Parcells, who showed promise but flamed out and quit when he realized he was just plain old.

And, if you are "fine" with the misfiring-on-some-cylinders Cowboys under Wade, then, by all means, enjoy the Wade Phillips Experience.

At some point, I believe (and like other corporations) someone is gonna wake up and say, "hey, maybe the HC might have some blame in this."

But then again, maybe it is NOT Wade's fault for a sputtering on some cylinders team. Maybe we just need ANOTHER group of talented players that Jerra can provide.

My advice to you is to enjoy your man crush Wade before he's gone.:D

wileedog

Reaction score
gmoney112;2477193 said:
we had an amazing draft, our defense is playing their best football at the best time of the season,

I still think too many people are getting fooled by the Steeler game.

Pitt is NOT a good offensive team - 26th in the league to be exact. Roth has been sacked 38 times, 2nd most in the NFL and their bread and butter running game has sputtered at 3.6 yards a carry this year. And this is in a division with Cleveland and Cincy (granted and Bal, but still). Throw in brutal weather conditions and I'm not impressed we shut a bad Oline down for 50 minutes.

The games before that as part of our big 'turnaround' have been Seattle and SF, two crappy teams, and Washington which has been completely exposed offensively. Even Tampa has proven to be mediocre at best, and the last good offense we faced were the Giants who rolled us.

Our secondary is still beyond shaky - that was our 'best' corner getting punked in the last 10 minutes of that game by a 2nd tier WR, and our CB on the other side is a 6-pack away from never playing football again. Our starting SS couldn't get a job in Miami this offseason, and Hamlin is still auditioning for the next "Invisible Man" remake.

We put up 6 sacks and shut down the Giants like Philly did this weekend then I'll start entertaining the notion that we've had some sort of miraculous defensive turnaround. Until then beating up on s poor offensive team in a frozen windstorm doesn't excuse the horrible mentality I think Wade brings to this football team.

And for those preaching continuity, Dave Campo provided terrific consistency every season too....

p.s. if Cowher decides he is available and would coach in Dallas, we would be morons to keep either Wade or JG instead of him, period. Unless Wade wins a SB, then its like 50/50.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
gmoney112;2477259 said:
i dont know, it's only his second season here. there's been a lot of injuries on D also, and frankly several players were flat overrated to begin the season. another season or two under his belt with personnel to fit his scheme and this defense will be nuts imo. we have no penetration on the ends except from ware and james.

pitt had the best field position you could ask for nearly the entire game and the D only gave up 13. gotta give em props for that

our offense has been very mediocre considering the talent we have on that side of the ball. i don't understand what the deal is but something needs to be done. it's almost as if witten or owens doesn't catch a 40 yarder on a drive they just kinda give up. maybe its just me

agreed on next week though. we'll see what dallas is capable of against the giants

I hear you but Phillips has a history of flopping as a HC. Maybe he's to nice.
I was a few minutes away from coming to this forum on Sunday to eat some Phillips crow. Then what ever our D did in the last minutes of that game made me change my mind.

If he gets this defense to play that good again for sixty minutes ( with some help from our offense) I might start to see things different.
This week is the perfect game for him to show the world he has some thing to really offer.

Givincer

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2477145 said:
You forgot to include the post-season numbers...

Feel free to update your post.

My post includes post season numbers. He lost 4 games last year (including our post season game), and he's lost 5 games this year, that makes 9.

He lost 4 games last year with his starting quarterback, and he lost 3 games this year with his starting quarterback, that makes 7.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Some facts from the game for you.

Pittsburgh started drives from:

Dallas 46
Pitt 33
Dallas 22
Dallas 45
Pitt 41
Pitt 34
Pitt 6
Pitt 40
Pitt 26
Pitt 26
Dallas 25
Pitt 33
Dallas 28

3 starting drives inside our 30, and 5 in our territory. and 2 more out near midfield.

By comparison we did not start a single drive in their territory. Our best field position we started at our own 46. We started four drives inside our own 20.

In the 4th quarter we had 4 drives for 31 net total yards on offense. Three of those drives got 10 or less yards.

Just some food for thought if you have some doubts about the D. Pittsburgh's offense isn't very good, granted, but it could have been very ugly. The D kept us in this game. It's the offense that needs some serious attention. 4 drives for 30 yards in the 4th is unacceptable

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
gmoney112;2477318 said:
Some facts from the game for you.

Pittsburgh started drives from:

Dallas 46
Pitt 33
Dallas 22
Dallas 45
Pitt 41
Pitt 34
Pitt 6
Pitt 40
Pitt 26
Pitt 26
Dallas 25
Pitt 33
Dallas 28

3 starting drives inside our 30, and 5 in our territory. and 2 more out near midfield.

By comparison we did not start a single drive in their territory. Our best field position we started at our own 46. We started four drives inside our own 20.

In the 4th quarter we had 4 drives for 31 net total yards on offense. Three of those drives got 10 or less yards.

Just some food for thought if you have some doubts about the D. Pittsburgh's offense isn't very good, granted, but it could have been very ugly. The D kept us in this game. It's the offense that needs some serious attention. 4 drives for 30 yards in the 4th is unacceptable

Sound like our return teams need work.:eek::