Release Hurns and extend Cooper

J12B

Reaction score
Cutting Hurns would free up $5 million in cap space and would allow for some additional cap space for extending Cooper.

Give Cooper a larger cap hit this year in order to lower his cap hit for the next 4-5 years.

We saw what he did for this team last year.

He's worth it.

Get a deal done asap.

J12B

Reaction score
They have 0 reason to cut hurns today. Extending Cooper likely reduces his cap impact this year anyway so hurns's deal does not affect that regardless.

I have a different view on the outlook of the salary cap than you do.

I see it more beneficial for the future to give star players large cap hits earlier in their contract rather than later.

This way we can afford to keep new talent in the later years while still keeping big name talent on the roster.

Pay Cooper off early rather than later.

Seems to be a better strategy in staying out of cap hell.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Cutting Hurns would free up $5 million in cap space and would allow for some additional cap space for extending Cooper.

Give Cooper a larger cap hit this year in order to lower his cap hit for the next 4-5 years.

He's worth it.

Get a deal done asap.

We don't have to cut Hurns to extend Cooper. More space will be available by extending him and lowering his cap this year And yes, he's worth it but it sounds like negotiations with Dak's agent are going better so far. That can change

Bowdown27

Reaction score
If we cut hurns post June 1 do we save money for cap? Or is his guaranteed

_sturt_

Reaction score
The topic has been discussed by Helman and Eatman, maybe a couple of months ago(?), and they were both persuaded that Hurns will end up being offered a renegotiation before he would ever be released. Everyone loved him before the injury. And all the more on this side of it.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

I see it more beneficial for the future to give star players large cap hits earlier in their contract rather than later.

This way we can afford to keep new talent in the later years while still keeping big name talent on the roster.

This problem is two-fold:
1. A salary cap dollar is worth more this year than in the future (assuming the cap keeps going up). If we have extra space at the end of each year it rolls over anyway.
2. If you pay a player more now and less later there is always the chance they hold out when the salary comes down in the future - if my memory serves me, Darrelle Revis did just that to the Jets

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would they have picked up Hurns option to keep him, only to release him to take a cap hit to supposedly save cap money. If they had no plans for him, they would have just let him go then.
And as posted above, I did see something a few months ago, they thought the team would approach Hurns to extend his deal by a year. May have been a reporters speculation though.

Hurns is still a good player in spite of what the internet GM ‘s say on here.

Here is a great rule of thumb....they are internet GM’s for a reason...

TwentyOne

Reaction score

He's worth it.

Get a deal done asap.

You can always roll over cap space to the next year. So to give anybody a frontladden deal is essentially meaningless.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

He's worth it.

Get a deal done asap.

First... He gave up his body for the team. Everyone saw that play.

Second... You destroy team morale. Dallas has to be loyal to a guy like that.

Third... His numbers are OK. Its not worth it.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
If we cut hurns post June 1 do we save money for cap? Or is his guaranteed

I believe they can cut him at any time before the season starts so there was no reason not to pick up his option. If we get some unfortunate injuries in training camp it might be good to have him around.

John813

Reaction score

It's smarter to put the larger cap hits at the end, especially for guys who probably won't play the entire contract through. The guarantees are low if not gone after 3 years so if by age or injury his skill declines then we can move on and never had the cap space eaten more than it had to been . If the player is still balling, the team can restructure or redo his deal to give him more guaranteed money while lowering the cap hit .

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I believe they can cut him at any time before the season starts so there was no reason not to pick up his option. If we get some unfortunate injuries in training camp it might be good to have him around.
Thank you!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Cooper is already earmarked for 14 million this year. How much more you want to give him and why extend him just to pay him more now because even if you use the 1st 3 years to eat the guaranteed money your last 2-3 years won't be super cheap they will just be non guaranteed. So might as well wait till later to sign him.

cern

Reaction score
I can see both hurns and austin being cut. Hurns because of his injury. Austin because he misses as many games as Sean Lee.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The cap space with Hurns would be a sweetener, not what makes it happen.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I can see both hurns and austin being cut. Hurns because of his injury. Austin because he misses as many games as Sean Lee.
I am honestly in shock Hurns is still around. I guess they feel sorry for him or something.