Relevance instead of Excellence?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I know that I posted this in another thread but I thought it might deserve it's oven thread because it isn't specific to any 1 player. Let the blasting and commiseration begin.

I think the NFL is protecting the cowboys from themselves.... Man I hate the thought of bringing him back. I've been a loyal fan of this franchise for 40 years. I stuck with them thru the bad years without a 2nd thought but I don't know how much more of this I can take as a fan. It isn't the record. Every team goes thru it and all i ask is that we fight to make it better. It's the decision making. I'm not a fan of Sam and I'm disgusted with the thought of bringing Brent back. These are not the actions of someone who has the best interest of the football team in mind. These ARE the actions of someone who has become a victim of his own entertainment business model. I know, cue all the "Well... bye!" or "go root for some other team then!" or some other such drivel. I was a fan when the Cowboys helped build the brand that is the current NFL brand with Staubach, Dosett, Pearson, Thrill HIll, etc. and I've been a devout fan longer than most people on this board have been alive. Yes I know they had "Hollywood" Henderson as well but I remember, even as a kid, knowing that his lifestyle was wrong (and he will tell you the same today). You didn't have any guarantee's even as a great talent and Brent is not a great talent. Sam is not a great talent. And we've become a media "harlot" for lack of a better term and I'm not sure how much longer I want to sell myself to a team that strives for "relevance" instead of "excellence".

visionary

Reaction score
Duck

It is the current reality and judging by the sentiment of ardent cowboy fans on this board, most cowboy fans are quite content with it

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Pour yourself another tumbler of Johnnie Walker Blue, its what the Ringmaster of this circus does.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Duck

It is the current reality and judging by the sentiment of ardent cowboy fans on this board, most cowboy fans are quite content with it

I've been as supportive and positive towards this team as anyone but the last 24 hours have stuck in my gut like hot lead.. I'll come in off the ledge eventually but right now I'm just... disgusted and wanted to vent. I hear this is the place to do that. :D

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I know that I posted this in another thread but I thought it might deserve it's oven thread because it isn't specific to any 1 player. Let the blasting and commiseration begin.

I think the NFL is protecting the cowboys from themselves.... Man I hate the thought of bringing him back. I've been a loyal fan of this franchise for 40 years. I stuck with them thru the bad years without a 2nd thought but I don't know how much more of this I can take as a fan. It isn't the record. Every team goes thru it and all i ask is that we fight to make it better. It's the decision making. I'm not a fan of Sam and I'm disgusted with the thought of bringing Brent back. These are not the actions of someone who has the best interest of the football team in mind. These ARE the actions of someone who has become a victim of his own entertainment business model. I know, cue all the "Well... bye!" or "go root for some other team then!" or some other such drivel. I was a fan when the Cowboys helped build the brand that is the current NFL brand with Staubach, Dosett, Pearson, Thrill HIll, etc. and I've been a devout fan longer than most people on this board have been alive. Yes I know they had "Hollywood" Henderson as well but I remember, even as a kid, knowing that his lifestyle was wrong (and he will tell you the same today). You didn't have any guarantee's even as a great talent and Brent is not a great talent. Sam is not a great talent. And we've become a media "harlot" for lack of a better term and I'm not sure how much longer I want to sell myself to a team that strives for "relevance" instead of "excellence".

You have been a fan of that for years. So was I. That's all the organization is about, sadly. From the devil's own mouth, even hiring Parcells was merely a Jones' publicity stunt.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Jerry basically said its about relevance when he said hes mad for not getting manziel. He said manziel would have kept us revelant for the next 8 years or so. That wouldnt be by winning that would be by who manziel is.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You guys are ridiculous. Somehow every move is a "Jerry publicity stunt" and nothing can be for the betterment of the team. Yes we went thru some rough years last decade. But seriously can you say adding Sam is really such a bad idea? Hell its just the practice squad and if he turns out to be a baller and gets us a game winning sack or something you'll be changing your tune. Same with Brent, he had served his time and now we can give him another chance. Just because they are not choices you would make does not mean they are not football moves. You're sounding very judgemental and that's not a good look. Maybe this will be a bad year, maybe it will be a good year, thats why we play the game to find out. Not everyone is gonna be a great talent, but if 2 players are better than what we have on the roster, churn it and get better players. Nothing hollywood about that, but whatever floats your boat dude.

LittleD

Reaction score
You guys are ridiculous. Somehow every move is a "Jerry publicity stunt" and nothing can be for the betterment of the team. Yes we went thru some rough years last decade. But seriously can you say adding Sam is really such a bad idea? Hell its just the practice squad and if he turns out to be a baller and gets us a game winning sack or something you'll be changing your tune. Same with Brent, he had served his time and now we can give him another chance. Just because they are not choices you would make does not mean they are not football moves. You're sounding very judgemental and that's not a good look. Maybe this will be a bad year, maybe it will be a good year, thats why we play the game to find out. Not everyone is gonna be a great talent, but if 2 players are better than what we have on the roster, churn it and get better players. Nothing hollywood about that, but whatever floats your boat dude.

Yes, I can say it...He is going to be a major distraction just like T.O. was... At least T.O. could ball.
This guy...not so much and Garrett will be asked about him 20 times a day. We'll probably let
someone go off the practice squad that might have the talent to play in the NFL in a year or so...Sam doesn't
but at least Jerry will be relevant for a week or so. Geez!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score

That how you feel then that is how you feel. I think Brent is a guy getting a 2nd chance as many players do, talent wise I think he is a decent player. Sam is a guy who has shown some good things in pre season and is getting a spot on the practice squad. If Jerry was looking for big fan fair and hoopla Johnny Football would have been signed, but he is not on this team. Personally outside of this sight I don't see many making a big deal out of Brent or Sam so this attention your talking about I don't see it. Heck I see more attention being paid to guys like Alden and now Wes Welker.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, I can say it...He is going to be a major distraction just like T.O. was... At least T.O. could ball.
This guy...not so much and Garrett will be asked about him 20 times a day. We'll probably let
someone go off the practice squad that might have the talent to play in the NFL in a year or so...Sam doesn't
but at least Jerry will be relevant for a week or so. Geez!!!!

T.O every week was giving the media something new to talk about him with. With his fiasco's and everything he did that went against the grain. Michael Sam is the first openly gay NFL player so of course he's hot news at first. After some months the gay stick is gonna be old and they're actually gonna be talking about his play on the field. I say give the man a chance. Everything works in cycles they're not always gonna be asking about Sam once the new shiny toy is old and replaced with a new one. When is the last time we heard about Manti Te'o and his imaginary girlfriend? Oh right, but wasn't that ALL the media could talk about just a little over a year ago? Ask San Diego how that worked out. That's my point. This will eventually blow over. And btw Sam has talent to play in the NFL possibly this year or maybe next. So gtfoh trying to say the co-defensive player of the year doesn't have talent to play. I can separate my religious beliefs from the game of football. I disagree with the lifestyle choice Sam has, but that doesn't mean im blind to the fact that he can help this team, or try to delude myself into saying he doesn't have talent like you're trying to do.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't think anything is really new with the Cowboys, it's just that the internet has changed the information and tabloid cycle.

There was a lot going on back in the seventies with Hollywood Henderson and they even made a movie about the Cowboys high jinks (North Dallas Forty).

Then in the early nineties there was Irving, Newton, Erik Williams and those characters. Nobody partied harder.

Around the year 2000, you get into the Dwayne Goodrich episode of killing some bystanders on the highway.

IMO, the only thing that has changed is the reporting/internet. Just think about all the things that JFK did back then that the media never reported and then fast forward to what would have been reported today.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think anything is really new with the Cowboys, it's just that the internet has changed the information and tabloid cycle.

There was a lot going on back in the seventies with Hollywood Henderson and they even made a movie about the Cowboys high jinks (North Dallas Forty).

Then in the early nineties there was Irving, Newton, Erik Williams and those characters. Nobody partied harder.

Around the year 2000, you get into the Dwayne Goodrich episode of killing some bystanders on the highway.

IMO, the only thing that has changed is the reporting/internet. Just think about all the things that JFK did back then that the media never reported and then fast forward to what would have been reported today.

Plus it is not just the media.

It is any fan with a blog
It is any person with a cell phone using the camera
It is any person posting on Twitter, Facebook or any other popular social sites

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not if you have been paying attention the last for 40 years or so.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
... And btw Sam has talent to play in the NFL possibly this year or maybe next. So gtfoh trying to say the co-defensive player of the year ...

That doesn't necessarily mean he is good enough to play in the NFL. Sorry It just doesn't. And just because he is gay shouldn't give him the opportunity that someone else with his talent level or lack thereof doesn't get. He may or may not workout. I've always said that I could be wrong but that doesn't change that this is NOT a football move. If he was really an improvement to what we have then (notice I didn't use "than") he would be on the 53. The reason he isn't is because the coaches don't actually believe he is better. This is a Jerry publicity move plain and simple. And as far as Brent goes, I will NEVER be ok with him coming back and being guaranteed a spot on the roster. Does he have a right to work? Yes, but make him earn the right by trying out just like anyone else.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In order to believe either of these moves were made with relevance in mind, rather than improving the team in mind, you'd have to believe that neither or these players are likely to upgrade the quality of play on the field. In Brent's case, in my mind at least, there's very little doubt that he represents a potential upgrade. And if you listened to JG's press conference this morning, you'd understand that the team's public motivations in his regard are good ones with the best interests of both the team and Brent's and Brown's families in mind. You may not see it the same way the team does, which is your prerogative, but I don't see any good reason to doubt their sincerity in this case just because other people might have a legitimate but differing perspective on how the situation ought to be viewed.

In the case of Michael Sam, I'm a little more dubious. Even so, he was a notable performer in the preseason with undeniable college production at a position of significant need. If there's a pr-element to picking him up, he also makes some sense as a PS player. Especially with us playing the Rams here early in the season. There are other players I think I'd prefer we put on the practice squad long-term (specifically, I was hoping for a few of the WRs we had here in camp), but I'm not too worked up about giving a DE with some big-play potential hanging around for a few weeks.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
T.O every week was giving the media something new to talk about him with. With his fiasco's and everything he did that went against the grain. Michael Sam is the first openly gay NFL player so of course he's hot news at first. After some months the gay stick is gonna be old and they're actually gonna be talking about his play on the field. I say give the man a chance. Everything works in cycles they're not always gonna be asking about Sam once the new shiny toy is old and replaced with a new one. When is the last time we heard about Manti Te'o and his imaginary girlfriend? Oh right, but wasn't that ALL the media could talk about just a little over a year ago? Ask San Diego how that worked out. That's my point. This will eventually blow over. And btw Sam has talent to play in the NFL possibly this year or maybe next. So gtfoh trying to say the co-defensive player of the year doesn't have talent to play. I can separate my religious beliefs from the game of football. I disagree with the lifestyle choice Sam has, but that doesn't mean im blind to the fact that he can help this team, or try to delude myself into saying he doesn't have talent like you're trying to do.

Agree. I would rather have a season of media talk with Michael Sam than a week of media with T.O.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
IMO, nothing has changed since the early 60s. Dallas has always been at the forefront of change and innovative thinking. They drafted Olympic champions (Hayes and Lewis), war veterans (Harris, Staubach, and Henning), basketball players (Green), players from other leagues (Walker), and created the pro cheerleader concept. They even created models used by other teams -- computer drafting and the draft pick value system.

Relevance or excellence? I think they are intertwined.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It's more about entertainment, *********, secret sauce, and party buses than winning.