Report: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Interesting stuff.
Lakers don't have a max cap space slot if they make trade.
AD not likely to waive 4m trade kicker.

Pels snuck in nasty pick swap designations that basically them them control over the next 7 years of
Lakers drafts. Insane.

Hard to see how the Lakers work this. Maybe they should have hired David Griffin.

CowboysRock1980

Reaction score
Interesting stuff.
Lakers don't have a max cap space slot if they make trade.
AD not likely to waive 4m trade kicker.

Pels snuck in nasty pick swap designations that basically them them control over the next 7 years of
Lakers drafts. Insane.

Hard to see how the Lakers work this. Maybe they should have hired David Griffin.

Wrong, Lakers have a max cap space slot, they have 32 million in cap space so they are going after Kemba

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wrong, Lakers have a max cap space slot, they have 32 million in cap space so they are going after Kemba
Nope.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lake...s-trade-lakers-salary-cap-20190616-story.html

If they consummate the trade they DO NOT have a max cap slot. They would have 23M.

I fully expect them to TRY for a 2nd star and will look for ways to make the money work so they can go in earlier but most teams do NOT want to be part of any deal that drags on as rookies wouldn't be able to participate in Summer League and any player drafted must sign then wait 30 days.
So in this scenario discussed above the Pels would KEEP AD until late July and the Lakers would draft 4 and sign him but for the Pels.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think the Lakers should look at a guy like Krhis Middleton. I think he might be a good fit and he definitely fits the cap.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
LBJ still thinks he can get anyone he wants to come and play with him, including Kyrie or Kawhi.

BTW, I'm still PO'd about the Kawhi trade.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Nope.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lake...s-trade-lakers-salary-cap-20190616-story.html

If they consummate the trade they DO NOT have a max cap slot. They would have 23M.

I fully expect them to TRY for a 2nd star and will look for ways to make the money work so they can go in earlier but most teams do NOT want to be part of any deal that drags on as rookies wouldn't be able to participate in Summer League and any player drafted must sign then wait 30 days.
So in this scenario discussed above the Pels would KEEP AD until late July and the Lakers would draft 4 and sign him but for the Pels.

I always love it when Rowdy busts a move in with a hot non-correct take.

Not.. 'i believe the Lakers have 32 mil', or.. 'don't the Lakers have a max slot?', no sir it's.. 'Wrong!. They have a max and they're signing (whomever)'.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seriously, why would any good players sign w/ the Lakers? They're such a mess right now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If they Offer him a Max deal but if not, he could be in play.
He was a Mavs top target so they have followed up and word is he is re-upping with MIL so cross him off their list.
MIL keeping everyone... to keep Giannis.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Only thing about Ariza, he's 33. I think that's a little bit old, they are going to need some younger legs I think. JMO
The Lakers lack of doing what they should does make it very interesting.
Essentially have 1 max or near max slot.
Can either make the trade now-ish or wait 30+ days for true max slot.
If they were to wait does that mean they get a 2nd Star target to also wait 30 days?
If guy agrees to max deal (say Kawhi)... do they trust that dude and his agent enough to wait 30 days and then maybe he backs out and signs--see DeAndre Jordan??
Or do they make the trade day 1, take the 23M and get 2 guys who are sure starters but not all-stars to go with LBJ, AD and Kuz.
Use MLE on a 6th or 7th guy.
Lakers are definitely not boring.
But at some point they gotta make moves that maximize value, are decisive and go 1 direction.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Lakers lack of doing what they should does make it very interesting.
Essentially have 1 max or near max slot.
Can either make the trade now-ish or wait 30+ days for true max slot.
If they were to wait does that mean they get a 2nd Star target to also wait 30 days?
If guy agrees to max deal (say Kawhi)... do they trust that dude and his agent enough to wait 30 days and then maybe he backs out and signs--see DeAndre Jordan??
Or do they make the trade day 1, take the 23M and get 2 guys who are sure starters but not all-stars to go with LBJ, AD and Kuz.
Use MLE on a 6th or 7th guy.
Lakers are definitely not boring.
But at some point they gotta make moves that maximize value, are decisive and go 1 direction.

They were discussing the possibility of the Lakers drafting the player for Nola and then finalizing the trade after the draft. That would certainly help with the cap situation but I would have to think that Nola would need to get something out of that.

As far as if he would back out, I don't know how that's handled by the NBA if both teams have agreed to a deal. I haven't really seen the actual structure of the deal so I don't know if that is part of the agreement or not. I.E. Kuzma not coming to Nola is really interesting to me. I would have thought that he was a must in that trade. Now, if the deal is that he actually is part of the deal in that kind of agreement, that might be a possibility. I mean, I don't know what Nola gets out of this if they wait. That could be what they want, IDK.