Report: Cowboys Were Involved In Jamal Adams Trade Talks

fivetwos

Reaction score
Byron Jones was trash at safety and overdrafted landon collins was the best safety in that draft. Yes Roy was our last real safety we drafted in the first. But unfortunately the game changed on him mid career.
It was almost as if he ate that biscuit lol.

I'm surprised at how people around here hold having a presence and a leader at the S spot in such low regard after at least most of us have seen the difference of having Roy in his best years and Woodson back there vs what's been going on lately.

They keep throwing Jeff Heath and 6th round currency at the problem...and that's not gonna solve it.

Obviously if they were in on Adams they recognize the need. So let's see what happens.

fivetwos

Reaction score
IMO, the big issue with the Adams deal was that he was a malcontent who forced his way out of town, and it got to the point where the Jets HAD to deal him.

The price that was paid was on the level on someone who wasnt rumored to be on the block at all, and a team happens to call and ask for your best defensive player.

He should have been dealt for a first and change and the Jets should have been happy w that.

They made out largely.

fivetwos

Reaction score
IMO, the big issue with the Adams deal was that he was a malcontent who forced his way out of town, and it got to the point where the Jets HAD to deal him.

The price that was paid was on the level on someone who wasnt rumored to be on the block at all, and a team happens to call and ask for your best defensive player.

He should have been dealt for a first and change and the Jets should have been happy w that.

They made out largely.
I mean really....who is Dallas BEST player? Well no, who has the most VALUE?

Let's put the QB aside, that's something else, but let's say some team calls and says....

They want Zack Martin. Would you turn down two ones and a three and that teams starting guard?

I'd deal him in a second for that.

Tyron? Same thing. Lawrence? Yup.

Really...WHO do we have that you wouldnt take that haul for (Prescott aside)?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bob Sanders would have been a HOF player if he could stay healthy.

Now I realize the magnitude of that IF is significant.

If you deem him as overrated overall, I'll accept that, but his play, for what little there was of it...was exceptional.

I never saw exceptional play from him, which is why in my opinion he was overrated. I saw other high level safeties play much better than him. I would hear how good he was, but when I watched him play he wasn't doing what the other top safeties were doing and producing.

During his entire 8 year career he had 6 interceptions, 16 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 3.5 sacks and 307 tackles. Jeff Heath in his 7 year career has 8 interceptions, 24 passes defended, 5 forced fumbles, 0 sacks and 346 tackles. Heath obviously isn't a high level safety. Ed Reed, for example would have 6 interceptions, 16 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles in single seasons. Other great safeties would, too.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I didn't realize saving money wins games

Didn't say save money. Said they have to spend money. It is a salary cap league. If it didn't matter, then there should be no problem paying Prescott, but it does matter. You have to be diligent in the money spent.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Rodney Harrison was often credited as being the missing piece for the Pats in their super bowl wins with him. Ronnie Lott was a huge contributor to that 49ers dynasty. Ed Reed was often credited as being the mvp to that legendary Ravens defense even though their LBs got all of the press. Even our own super bowl teams of the 90s had major contributions at safety from Thomas Everett. Adams was a 6th pick in the draft and is easily worth two late first round picks when you consider how many plays he blows up and the fact he’s the best cover SS in the league.

Harrison, Lott and Reed were all really good safeties but give me a link that states that those teams wouldn't have won if any of those weren't there. I know there are games where they made a play that may have decided a win here and there, but I don't recall ANY safety ever being named NFL MVP. I don't hear GM's or coaches say they will build a great defense and we will start by getting a safety. Seems to me they say they are starting by getting a defensive lineman or maybe a LB, but where's the call to start with safety? Because a team went way overboard in getting Adams I'll remind you of an old saying. If someone jumps off a 1000 foot cliff are you going to jump off too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Paloumalu is probably the best comparison.

That guy was all over the place, making plays on all levels and was the leader of that defense.

Frustrating when people tell you "safeties dont matter" and insinuate that having Xavier Woods out there vs what a guy like Paloumalu brings to the table is the same thing is when I quit the conversation.

This Dallas defense is VERY desperate for a playmaking safety, and a vocal leader. Doesnt have to be the same guy, but aside from counting on the offense entirely, this team goes nowhere until they realize that one 6th round pick after another isnt gonna get it done.
When Paloumalu was healthy enough to play, he was great.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Adams does things from the safety position at a level that I havent seen from anyone else in the league. Fitz may be the closest.

I do agree with the premise of your point though.

Adams is one of my favorite all time players, and is the vocal leader we needed desperately. Someone to keep everyone accountable and would have been a great addition here....

But theres just no way you can send that type of haul away of you're Dallas. Seattle? Coach knows he is quitting soon and is going for it.

I said all along the Jets need more back than Dallas would be able to give. I'm still shocked Seattle parted with that cost though.

There have other safeties are or have been as good or better than Adams, Harrison, Reed, Lott, even the Cowboys Darryl Woodson. Since none of us are in the defensive huddles or on the sidelines or around in practices or meeting you have know real idea of who may be a vocal leader on the current team. I've heard and read that Lee has always been very vocal at firing up his team mates.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The value of Adams to SEA was the absolute top because they have the best secondary coach in the NFL at HC. He would have just sweetened the pot until he got what he wanted.

Adams wanting to play for Dallas was all about the money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Paloumalu was healthy enough to play, he was great.
Players like him and Ed Reed were just special. Their presence lifted the play of the D and allowed the secondary to worry about less.

Guys like those two and Thomas always gave the QB one more thing to think about and if he didn't, they would remind him why he should have.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Players like him and Ed Reed were just special. Their presence lifted the play of the D and allowed the secondary to worry about less.

Guys like those two and Thomas always gave the QB one more thing to think about and if he didn't, they would remind him why he should have.
If Lee could have stayed healthy his whole career,he could have been close to those guys. I know, not a safety, but same type of player, IMO.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Troy palumalu, bob sanders. These are guys that played all over the field. They make the defenders around then better. Jamal is 24 years old and is a 2 time All Pro.

Yes a stud DE would be great but maybe they take a taco with the 28th pick.

This league aint the same the back end needs to hold up as well. Our back end sucked hence why we didnt have the sacks and pressures we should have even though our pass rushers win rate % was very good.

I don't deny that there have been some games where a safety has made a play that made the difference in winning a game here and there, but I just don't hear GM's and coaches who say they are going to build that really good defense say they are going to start at the safety position. Most sports people say the biggest thing that determines a really good defense is their front 7. Those that wanted to way over spend for Adams are still trying to justify it by implying that he would be that one piece, that one player that would have turned the Cowboys defense into the most feared defense in the league and I'm sorry but Adams wouldn't have done that. The defense would still have other problems that Adams wouldn't have been able to compensate for and only cost the Cowboys other possible players that could help out the team that they wouldn't get because of throwing those picks away on Adams.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't deny that there have been some games where a safety has made a play that made the difference in winning a game here and there, but I just don't hear GM's and coaches who say they are going to build that really good defense say they are going to start at the safety position. Most sports people say the biggest thing that determines a really good defense is their front 7. Those that wanted to way over spend for Adams are still trying to justify it by implying that he would be that one piece, that one player that would have turned the Cowboys defense into the most feared defense in the league and I'm sorry but Adams wouldn't have done that. The defense would still have other problems that Adams wouldn't have been able to compensate for and only cost the Cowboys other possible players that could help out the team that they wouldn't get because of throwing those picks away on Adams.
If I were building a defense it would be d line and secondary. LBer's in my opinion are a dime a dozen in today's nfl and don't have a huge impact on the game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The value of Adams to SEA was the absolute top because they have the best secondary coach in the NFL at HC. He would have just sweetened the pot until he got what he wanted.

Adams wanting to play for Dallas was all about the money.

Pete Carol hasn't coached a secondary in the NFL since 1993, TWENTY SEVEN YEARS AGO and that was with the jets who back then had their highest ranking of 19th ranked defense. It's obvious that you think Carol did the right thing but don't exaggerate things.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If I were building a defense it would be d line and secondary. LBer's in my opinion are a dime a dozen in today's nfl and don't have a huge impact on the game.

I'm happy for you on what you think but I'll go by those with a heck of lot more actually experience evaluating things than you. It's funny, not ha ha funny, that the sports people always talk about building defenses starting with the front 7, which includes LB's.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I never saw exceptional play from him, which is why in my opinion he was overrated. I saw other high level safeties play much better than him. I would hear how good he was, but when I watched him play he wasn't doing what the other top safeties were doing and producing.

During his entire 8 year career he had 6 interceptions, 16 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, 3.5 sacks and 307 tackles. Jeff Heath in his 7 year career has 8 interceptions, 24 passes defended, 5 forced fumbles, 0 sacks and 346 tackles. Heath obviously isn't a high level safety. Ed Reed, for example would have 6 interceptions, 16 passes defended and 2 forced fumbles in single seasons. Other great safeties would, too.
Wheres the "stat" for taking a stupidly ridiculous angle to the ball?

How about the one for the opposing WR knowing you're getting you're head knocked off if you come across the middle?

Jeff Heath doesnt know what a football is compared to Bob Sanders. The guy couldnt stay on the field and that's grantedly part of it.

I also saw every single one of those Heath interceptions. Yeah great.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'm happy for you on what you think but I'll go by those with a heck of lot more actually experience evaluating things than you. It's funny, not ha ha funny, that the sports people always talk about building defenses starting with the front 7, which includes LB's.
keep listening to dinosaurs like yourself who haven't realized the game has passed them by yet.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
2 things seem obvious.
Dallas would have loved to have Adams but for AT MOST a player( likely X Woods), a 1st and a 3rd.
NYJ were least likely of any teams to give DAL a bargain in trade as they knew that's where Jamal wanted to go.
Dallas was not coughing up two really high picks because they've done it like 3-4 times and it has bombed each time.
The two firsts for Joey Galloway held this team back for like 3-4 years.