Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys knew this was coming.

When they finally approached Dak Prescott to broach the topic of his seemingly inevitable contract extension, they did so with an initial offer in hand. While it's unknown what their first offer was, what's known is that it was met with a counteroffer from Prescott and CAA, his representation. That counteroffer was made in late May, nearly a month after Russell Wilson became the highest-paid player in NFL history with a four-year, $140 million extension from the Seattle Seahawks that includes $107 million guaranteed money.

It, however, also happened around three weeks prior to the Philadelphia Eagles giving Carson Wentz a four-year, $128 million extension that itself includes $107 million in guarantees. It was a foregone conclusion Prescott wouldn't best Wilson's figures, which made that the ceiling — but Wentz just set a floor that carries a $32 million annual average salary (AAS) over the course of his true extension.

With that in tow, Prescott and CAA have reportedly lobbed an offer to the Cowboys that would put the former Rookie of the Year at an AAS of $34 million, according to Clarence Hill, Jr. of Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Of course, this is all a part of the negotiation process, wherein the club goes low and the player goes high, with the ultimate goal of both sides eventually meeting in the middle. The reality remains Prescott will likely land a deal worth more than $30 million per year, and even that's a tough sell now, thanks to Wentz.

By Patrik Walker
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Cowboys-Dak-Prescott-counteroffer-higher-than-Carson-Wentz-deal-132849152/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190613_183642_Dallas Cowboys&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=CA-89-18-08-4C-B7-7F-4E-28-9D-98-DD-5E-CE-44-EC190613_183642DallasCowboys
If Wince got 32 mil a year......Im just saying

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You think Dak trended downward late last year from beginning of the season?
Or that Dak trended downward from his 2nd year to his 3rd year?

He has trended down from his rookie season. I don’t think anyone can argue that. He has still had very good moments but he hasn’t lived up to what it looked like he could after his rookie year. If he could play half as good as he does in 4th quarters for entire games, he may be the best qb in the league. That’s what I’m waiting to see.

plymkr

Reaction score
Dak has the clear advantage for durability. If I were an Eagles fan, I would be decidedly unthrilled with the Wentz contract.

I'm not a fan of $34mil for Dak either. Though I am encouraged with all the talk of his accuracy improving.
He has a clear advantage of durability, also a clear advantage of winning the division 2 out of 3 years. People will argue that Wentz won a super bowl but I don't buy that. Foles won the super bowl. And to be more accurate the Patriots lost the super bowl and the Eagles were in the right place at the right time.

ShortRound

Reaction score
That would be what......$2M more than Wentz?

Report: Dak Prescott’s agent has “broached” $34 million per year
Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2019, 8:11 PM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...cotts-agent-has-broached-34-million-per-year/

With team-friendly deals like this, the Dallas Cowboys won’t need any enemies.

Quarterback Dak Prescott‘s agent, Todd France, has “broached” a deal in the range of $34 million per year, according to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

It’s unclear whether that’s an opener, a bottom-line position, or something in between. Presumably, it reflects the new-money average on an extension, and not the total value at signing.

Yup seeing tweets about 34 million also...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think what they mean is. If you were Dak. Is there any way you accept a deal for less than what Wentz got?

Yeah, but I think most people expected Wentz’ deal to eclipse Dak’s don’t they? Why does that change just because he signed first?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He has trended down from his rookie season. I don’t think anyone can argue that. He has still had very good moments but he hasn’t lived up to what it looked like he could after his rookie year. If he could play half as good as he does in 4th quarters for entire games, he may be the best qb in the league. That’s what I’m waiting to see.

That's not a trend lmao

Dak having a historically good rookie season as a basis for bashing him has to be one of the worst arguments that I see on here.

But regardless, no if a trend is no longer downward then that player isnt on a downward trend. That's silly.

Ellie826

Reaction score
No.

Dak actually deserves to make what Wentz was paid.

He's out produced him in nearly every measurable as a QB, especially the important stats.

Anyone who thinks Dallas will extend Dak for a penny less than what Wentz got is delusional.

How many teams would pick dak > wentz if everyone redrafted and had a choice of both.