Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth

quickccc

Reaction score
i actually had no problem with Booger as an color analyst. at least he kept me intrigued and informed but that play by play announcer Joe Tessitore was just dreadful !! ... there would be way too many instances where there was dead silence between plays ..and he just did not have the tempo, voice and exuberance to keep me interested ..and make the games interesting, and it stood out badly.

i think Louis Riddick would work best among an internal ESPN promotion hiring. He has a good " coach-up" knowlegeable approach to players' game and insight about the function of NFL teams. But i get the feeling with fans in general, they are intrigued with the big names. Soem big name QB,, or past Cowboys names.
But now we've learned that not every big name is suitable for prime time in studio hosts, or color analysts. (ala jason Witten or Emmitt Smith)

.or keep in mind like Phil Simms, who had a dull and non-knowledgeable approach to the game - amazing how he went from CBS no.1 color analyst to being in the studios ...not even demotes to No.2 .. or 3 rated analyst. And last i heard, Brett Favre was hideous in an audition for color analyst job.

Michael Irvin's rowdy, charismatic tone still works for in studio host, but i don't think i would want to see him as an color Analyst.
as much i love hearing from him in spots and occasions, that growling would eventually annoy me on an extensive length of time during the game.

:grin:

Johnny23

Reaction score
They could improve off the bat with better games, let alone a better crew.
That's never going to happen because we're in the everyone gets a prime time game era.

The inevitable 4-9 Jags vs. The 6-7 Titans or insert team out of it here wasted prime time game is going to be a thing forever.

calico

Reaction score
I was fine with joe. I loved his boxing commentary back in the day. he just needed a good color guy.

mperfection

Reaction score
His gnarly fingers aside, I think Booger would do fine in a 3-man booth, so long as you had a great play-by-play and color commentator, sort of like a trio of Al Michaels--Frank Gifford--Dan Dierdorf.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Report: Joe Tessitore, Booger McFarland will not return to ESPN's MNF booth
Cassandra Negley
Writer Yahoo Sports
May 9, 2020, 3:08 PM CDT

ESPN is going to begin anew with its “Monday Night Football” booth, per a report by The Athletic’s Richard Deitsch. The network will not bring back play-by-play broadcaster Joe Tessitore nor analyst Booger McFarland.

ESPN will hire within the company to replace them and the two will “remain in prominent roles at ESPN,” per the report. That confirms a New York Post report earlier this week that pegged Steve Levy, Louis Riddick and Dan Orlovsky as in-house candidates for the job.

The company reportedly wanted to bring over Tony Romo from CBS, where he’s been a star since jumping into the booth a few years ago. Romo instead agreed to a record deal with CBS on the No. 1 broadcast team.

Then ESPN moved on to Peyton Manning, reportedly offering $18 to $20 million per year — higher than Romo’s $17M — to be its lead analyst. The dream was reportedly to combine Manning and play-by-play legend Al Michaels, currently of NBC, though that didn’t pan out either.

They’re still reportedly eyeing New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees to take over once he retires.

Read more: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...not-return-to-esp-ns-mnf-booth-200846364.html

Joe was ok but Booger , the way they used him and he cut in a lot was horrible..

JayFord

Reaction score
You cant get pat summerall and john madden to do mnf

so i guess jim ross and jerry lawler will do

Mr McFarland just wasn’t cut out to do commentary and it showed and Tessitore is better suited for boxing not football imo he just doesn’t have the voice

EST_1986

Reaction score
Not sure what ESPN could ever do to fix MNF, they've ruined it forever. SNF is basically MNF to me.
They also get to flex to the best matchups.

The NFL could assist MNF with decent matchups on paper to begin the season I know they can’t flex games but scheduling Browns/Jets isn’t going to drive people to their TV sets.

Also think TNF adds to the NFL burnout.

Silly

Reaction score
As a whole I think all announcers could talk less. They do not need to analyze every play. Less talk and more stadium sounds would be good.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Not sure what ESPN could ever do to fix MNF, they've ruined it forever. SNF is basically MNF to me.

I hope and pray the weight of their many failures sinks the entire corporation. They are near bankrupt.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger was so awful - I hated watching the games because of him. So glad he is gone
When he was on the desk on the SEC Network, he was fine, I actually enjoyed him there.

The problem with MNF is trying to replicate Don Meredith and that made for TV relationship with Cosell. ABC even tried to inject Dennis Miller to try and capture some personality and that failed. People tuned in because of the personalities back then, I don't think they would now even for Romo or Manning. Neither is entertaining for the fringe fan.

I do not see the need for MNF, especially this year if there is no college ball and they add Saturday games. They even have a Friday night game this year. If there is no college ball, that would mean 8 games on the weekend, give ESPN the Saturday night game just for this season.

BigD_95

Reaction score
When he was on the desk on the SEC Network, he was fine, I actually enjoyed him there.

The problem with MNF is trying to replicate Don Meredith and that made for TV relationship with Cosell. ABC even tried to inject Dennis Miller to try and capture some personality and that failed. People tuned in because of the personalities back then, I don't think they would now even for Romo or Manning. Neither is entertaining for the fringe fan.

I do not see the need for MNF, especially this year if there is no college ball and they add Saturday games. They even have a Friday night game this year. If there is no college ball, that would mean 8 games on the weekend, give ESPN the Saturday night game just for this season.

No Monday night football ??? Blasphemy :omg:

joking