Report says Marcus Spears DOMINATES Cowboys discussions

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
This is from the Silver Star digest:

2005 NFL Draft Major Prospect Emerges for Dallas
By Roy Philpott
Date: Jan 30, 2005

Bill Parcells and company took an in-depth look at many prospects in Mobile, AL this past week. Who stood out the most? Which players may be flying under the radar until April? We've got the latest in this report!

Now that Senior Bowl week has reached its anti-climatic conclusion, we know with more certainty than ever before that the Cowboys are serious about upgrading their talent at the line of scrimmage.

All week long, we documented the Cowboys' continued interest in linemen. From Virginia Tech's Jim Davis, a standout performer on defense, to Oregon offensive lineman Adam Synder, the team officials showed heavy interest in multiple trenchmen in Mobile.

However, one lineman that dominated the discussions within the Cowboys organization was LSU defender Marcus Spears.

Spears, who enjoyed a great week of practice, had several brief conversations with the Cowboys' last week, including an in-depth talk with Bill Parcells.

The former SEC star saw his stock steadily rise during Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's practice sessions, and he is now making a push to be among one of the top 10 players chosen in the NFL draft this April.

For the Dallas Cowboys, the acquisition of a defensive lineman like Spears is clearly one of the biggest priorities of the offseason.

In addition, with talks of switching to a 3-4 defense dominating conversation at Valley Ranch these days, Dallas absolutely has to upgrade its talent up front, and adding a player of Spears' caliber would go a long ways in doing just that.

Furthermore, the Cowboys interest in Spears is obvious.

For starters, the team needs a lineman that fits the versatile defensive end/linebacker role, and Spears proved earlier last week that he could adjust to such a move.

He practiced as a linebacker on Tuesday, and reacted well considering the circumstances. "Spears wasn't great in pass recognition but he seemed agile in defending the run, shooting gaps," noted one scout of the move.

In a 3-4 scheme, one of the biggest keys is having a defensive end that can also drop back and play as a linebacker in certain situations is critical.

Simply put, Spears could be the answer the Cowboys are looking for at that very position. Of course, there are other prospects out there that fit the mold of a Marcus Spears. Shawne Merriman and David Pollack are two names that immediately jump to mind, and we'll be extensively covering both of those prospects in the coming weeks.

However looking back at the Senior Bowl, it goes without saying that the Cowboys clearly began putting part of their 2005 draft plans together.

And that's what the Senior Bowl is for. It's a time for evaluation, and a time to begin formulating an offseason plan of attack.

With the NFL Combine quickly approaching, as well as the beginning of free agency, the wheels are already in motion in Valley Ranch.

Let's see what happens now.

ddh33

Reaction score
Thanks for this article. Good stuff.

Personally, I like Spears. I think he has the potential to be a great player. In Dallas, I think he would be utilized correctly.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
NFL draft countdown and Great Blue North Draft report both have him listed as the 4th ranked DE. Granted that could change after the combines but isnt the 11th pick too high for a guy like Spears?
Countdown and GBN both had him going in the mid 20s of the 1st round, even lower than our 2nd first rounder. Does this indicate a trade down plan?
The countdown review I read had him as strong and a good run stopper but not a dominating pass rusher so we would still need to get Merriman or someone else to be the pass rusher.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
First of all internet draft site gurus don't work in the NFL.

Secondly, those sites assume the D's run what base defense?

#1 rated 3-4 DE would be whom if you had to guess?

NE needed guys like Justin Smith, Jamal Reynolds, Andre Carter like they needed a hole in the headed.

The ranking of a player on a teams board depends on need/system.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
This is from the Silver Star digest:

2005 NFL Draft Major Prospect Emerges for Dallas
By Roy Philpott
Date: Jan 30, 2005

Bill Parcells and company took an in-depth look at many prospects in Mobile, AL this past week. Who stood out the most? Which players may be flying under the radar until April? We've got the latest in this report!

Now that Senior Bowl week has reached its anti-climatic conclusion, we know with more certainty than ever before that the Cowboys are serious about upgrading their talent at the line of scrimmage.

All week long, we documented the Cowboys' continued interest in linemen. From Virginia Tech's Jim Davis, a standout performer on defense, to Oregon offensive lineman Adam Synder, the team officials showed heavy interest in multiple trenchmen in Mobile.

However, one lineman that dominated the discussions within the Cowboys organization was LSU defender Marcus Spears.

Spears, who enjoyed a great week of practice, had several brief conversations with the Cowboys' last week, including an in-depth talk with Bill Parcells.

The former SEC star saw his stock steadily rise during Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's practice sessions, and he is now making a push to be among one of the top 10 players chosen in the NFL draft this April.

For the Dallas Cowboys, the acquisition of a defensive lineman like Spears is clearly one of the biggest priorities of the offseason.

In addition, with talks of switching to a 3-4 defense dominating conversation at Valley Ranch these days, Dallas absolutely has to upgrade its talent up front, and adding a player of Spears' caliber would go a long ways in doing just that.

Furthermore, the Cowboys interest in Spears is obvious.

For starters, the team needs a lineman that fits the versatile defensive end/linebacker role, and Spears proved earlier last week that he could adjust to such a move.

He practiced as a linebacker on Tuesday, and reacted well considering the circumstances. "Spears wasn't great in pass recognition but he seemed agile in defending the run, shooting gaps," noted one scout of the move.

In a 3-4 scheme, one of the biggest keys is having a defensive end that can also drop back and play as a linebacker in certain situations is critical.

Simply put, Spears could be the answer the Cowboys are looking for at that very position. Of course, there are other prospects out there that fit the mold of a Marcus Spears. Shawne Merriman and David Pollack are two names that immediately jump to mind, and we'll be extensively covering both of those prospects in the coming weeks.

However looking back at the Senior Bowl, it goes without saying that the Cowboys clearly began putting part of their 2005 draft plans together.

And that's what the Senior Bowl is for. It's a time for evaluation, and a time to begin formulating an offseason plan of attack.

With the NFL Combine quickly approaching, as well as the beginning of free agency, the wheels are already in motion in Valley Ranch.

Let's see what happens now.

Spears is going to be a to be watched player at Combine. I sense his stock will rise higher there. Not only is he a great football player - but he's a heady kid schooled by Saban. He would start and make an impact day 1 in a 3-4 DE role. I'm glad the team is seriously looking at him.

11, 20 no way he gets past 20 and is not a Cowboy. JMO

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind drafting him, but wouldn't it be better to take Shawn Cody in the second instead? Cody can also play DE in a 3-4.

What about...

11. Merriman or Johnson

20. Hawthorne or Williamson

2nd Rd. Shaun Cody

???

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
I wouldn't mind drafting him, but wouldn't it be better to take Shawn Cody in the second instead? Cody can also play DE in a 3-4.

What about...

11. Merriman or Johnson

2nd Rd. Shaun Cody

Merriman/Johnson
Spears/Thomas Davis
Antajj/Ware/Williamson or Alex Smith/Heath Miller!

This draft is shaping up - someone has to drop out of 1!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Nors........Rack

You guys are right on....................I would be elated with either one of those scenerios.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Rack said:

What about...

11. Merriman or Johnson

2nd Rd. Shaun Cody

???
Yeah that will be quite a first day haul. Who knows where the chips fall come draft day but there is no way the Cowboys shouldn't get three very good players in their top three picks.

This will work too:
1a) DJ or Merriman
1b)Spears
2A) Blackstock or Crowder

That is the type of beef in the front 7 we need.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:
Rack said:

What about...

11. Merriman or Johnson

2nd Rd. Shaun Cody

Merriman/Johnson
Spears/Thomas Davis
Antajj/Ware/Williamson or Alex Smith/Heath Miller!

This draft is shaping up - someone has to drop out of 1!

I agree. I still don't think this is a strong draft for elite players, but there's a lot of "good" to "solid" players. A lot of depth at DE, CB, RB, WR (kind of), QB, and Safety (somewhat).

Bobo

Reaction score
Looks like there's several ways to skin the 3-4 cat in this draft.

BTW, did San Diego just switch to the 3-4 this year? I think they did. Anyway, they had a pretty good D, and if that was accomplished in one year, it gives a little more hope that we could pull it off pretty well in the 1st year. Their D was way better this year than 03.

Of course Jamal Williams is a big fatty, but their backup, Jason Fisk, got a lot of playing time from what I saw and is listed as 295 lbs. They got one DE in the 2nd round last year, don't really know about the other DE.

I'd like to get Godfrey back from them :)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeah SD just switched this year, but they already had key players in place to make the switch. It will be more difficult for us to make the switch (successfully), but not impossible.

ghst187

Reaction score
I'll be pretty happy with any of these guys with the first two picks:
Mike Williams, DJ, Merriman, Spears, Rolle, Marlin Jackson, Pollack,
and maybe even Hawthorne and/or Braylon Edwards.

Just give me some playmakers. If we could pull 3 guys out of that group, I'd be elated.

I like Spears as a great, large athlete. The only drawback to him is that he's definitely NOT and edge speed rusher like I think Merriman could be. So which direction do we go....?
If we could get Howard, Hayward, or even Abraham in FA, then I think we go with Merriman at 20. I'm really anxious to see who we target in FA. Once we have an idea of who we're going to sign, picking our draft picks will get much easier. Here's my FA shopping list:

DE: Hayward or Howard
DT: Ferguson or Williams
LB: Hartwell
DB: Baxter or Lucas or Smoot, Demps or Smith
RT: someone or anyone

Bobo

Reaction score
Rack said:
Yeah SD just switched this year, but they already had key players in place to make the switch. It will be more difficult for us to make the switch (successfully), but not impossible.

Yeah it looks like they already had most of their guys, but we have more high draft picks that we could spend on some of these swap over guys. Maybe there'll be some FA's to help too....if Jerrah will open his wallet.

I just wonder how our 3 starting LB's would fit in.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'd be weary of this talk as we like to play possum.

Dallas scouts basically swapped girdle sizes with Randy Moss yet he was totally crossed off the board regardless of numbers.

ghst187

Reaction score
jterrell said:

Dallas scouts basically swapped girdle sizes with Randy Moss yet he was totally crossed off the board regardless of numbers.

that's true....also BP didn't take notice, talk to, or mention Terrence Newman and that's who we ended up drafting. Now if DT Robertson would've have gone to the Jets one pick ahead of us...we probably would've ended up with him.
Of course, this past offseason, BP did mention Julius Jones and that he liked him an awful lot of all the RBs. I'm happy though that we didn't overpay to get him.
I hope its the same with Spears this year. I hope that if BP likes him, he still doesn't overpay to get him. #11 is at least 6 picks too high for him. I think we could still get either Merriman or Spears at #20 and either one would help us tremendously.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
jterrell said:

The Moss thing doesn't apply anymore. The ONLY reason we didn't draft him was cuz of character issues (and only then cuz of all the controversy with the Irvin incident).

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rack said:
Any defense - Wiley = better defense.