Twitter: Reporters Grade Dak's Training Camp Performance

Little Jr

Reaction score
It's not the practice grades that really are the issue................... it's that the grades seem indicative of the reality that Dak looks like Dak. Not great, not bad............... so make him play out 2019 and go from there.
Again, every reason I've seen you give we disagree, but I can debate that with you, and probably agree to disagree in the end. But there is NO WAY, that practice grades from the media being a reason on why you don't sign him yet. I would say maybe it can be one reason, but even then, it's silly. Honestly, silly is a nice way of saying, it's dumb as ****. Hell, even as a Dak Fan and being on the side of signing him to a big contract, I can give reasons on why you don't sign him yet, but practice grades from the media wouldn't make my list. It would be embarrassing for me to say it out loud, or even type it.

Brax

Reaction score
Dak strength(s) are more intangibles, which you're more likely to see in a real game than a practice. Not criticizing the grades, but there's more to consider.
his strengths are what you can't see, every thing you can see is a lie.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
With all due respect to my reporter friends, they don't know jack sheet. Half kiss butt and the other half stir the pot.
I don't disagree with your comment in large part. But, I do trust what I am able to see with my own eyes. From video i have seen, I would be hard pressed to give him anything higher than a C+ \ B-. I have seen mild improvements in some areas (maybe) but overall much the same as we have seen in the past.

In these type drills your starting QB probably shouldn't be grading out anything lower than B+.

I watch clips of other teams practices and there is a marked difference.

Big_D

Reaction score
C+ to B- player... Get's A++ Paycheck... Fans applaud.

Some think this is no big deal and maybe it isn’t? But aren’t these Cowboys beat writers where the grades are curved up to begin with? This is training camp and the QB isn’t touched or pressured. If you’re looking to be the highest paid player in the league, you would think there would be an A sprinkled in there somewhere?

aikemirv

Reaction score
When did we start grading training camp performances?
How long have you been around? We have been grading QB in Training Camp for a long time. I mean we used to have attempts/completions in the past on this board. Track every throw - it was kinda crazy!

Kaiser

Reaction score
This is meaningless. Just a reminder that as a rookie, Dak hasn't even registered as a ripple at this point. It was when the bright lights when on and he played in his first preseason game against the Rams that he played much better. He then went on to have the best rookie season of any QB in history.

Dak is better in game than he is in practice, Romo was the same way.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, every reason I've seen you give we disagree, but I can debate that with you, and probably agree to disagree in the end. But there is NO WAY, that practice grades from the media being a reason on why you don't sign him yet. I would say maybe it can be one reason, but even then, it's silly. Honestly, silly is a nice way of saying, it's dumb as ****. Hell, even as a Dak Fan and being on the side of signing him to a big contract, I can give reasons on why you don't sign him yet, but practice grades from the media wouldn't make my list. It would be embarrassing for me to say it out loud, or even type it.

You are focusing on the letter grades and that's not the real issue.

The fact is Dak has done very little in this camp to make you think he's elevated his game. Forget the letter grades, look at the general opinions offered by those making the grades.

Dak looks like Dak. And because of they would be wise to see how he plays in games.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak has always been known as a bad practice player. I remember him taking the media by surprise preseason his rookie year because they felt he was awful in practice leading up to it.

visionary

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a step backwards to move forward, personally I think Dak has topped out

He had shown little ability to improve on his very real shortcomings that were exposed in years 1 and 2 when he was playing on his rookie deal looking to get paid

And we think that somehow magically he will work on those and improve once he does get paid?

Not happening

GenoT

Reaction score
Dak has always been known as a bad practice player. I remember him taking the media by surprise preseason his rookie year because they felt he was awful in practice leading up to it.
Always gotta laugh when a QB, who has yet to accomplish any more than his predecessors have over the last 15yrs or so, is rationalized as being a “poor practice player.”

Roger Staubach (2 rings) and Troy Aikman (3 rings) were known to be great practice players.

Tom Brady (more rings than I can reliably count) has — since high school — been reported to be, by individual coaches and teammates, “the best practice player I ever saw.”

When push comes to shove, you play like you practice.

Sydla

Reaction score
He had shown little ability to improve on his very real shortcomings that were exposed in years 1 and 2 when he was playing on his rookie deal looking to get paid

And we think that somehow magically he will work on those and improve once he does get paid?

Not happening

Even if you take the position that he can improve, he hasn't shown enough to date, so there should be no rush to sign him to a massive long term deal until he proves it.

It's amazing how many people have such a harsh reaction to the concept of letting Dak play in 2019, even if it's half a season or so, before handing him a contract.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I think its hard to judge just on this alone but if Jerry decides to hold off talk, he will have this season to prove that he is worth every dollar he wants. In his fourth year, I want to see significant growth not just wins but overall better little things that can win games.

Exactly it's not just about wins

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Always gotta laugh when a QB, who has yet to accomplish any more than his predecessors have over the last 15yrs or so, is rationalized as being a “poor practice player.”

Roger Staubach (2 rings) and Troy Aikman (3 rings) were known to be great practice players.

Tom Brady (more rings than I can reliably count) has — since high school — been reported to be, by individual coaches and teammates, “the best practice player I ever saw.”

When push comes to shove, you play like you practice.

I'm not comparing him to your ideals. I'm just making an observation. In the past Dak has practiced poorly and played much better in games. They graded him at practice much worse in past years.

And when push comes to shove it depends on circumstance. Personally, I have the philosophy of practice on your weak points and execute what you comes best in crunch time. You don't get any better practicing what you are already good at.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
He is a fool, should have jumped on that money offered to him. Going to get burned in the end by being FAIR :lmao:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Considering Dak’s probably going 75-85% against a top 5 or 6 defense without our RB1. Plus, it’s early. But who really knows?

and WR1 and our best OL and a new OC. The offense is improving regardless. That is what is important.