Rest Of NFC East Has Eagles In Their Crosshairs

Pick A Team

• Total voters

Sydla

Reaction score
And you don’t see the difference in the two situations??? We have the vast majority of our roster set. When was the last time the cowboys could say that? Last year you let your your entire secondary because of stupid contracts. You don’t think your young secondary cost you in games? I do.
That’s what I laugh at. Well that and the yahoos thinking your new secondary would have an easy transition. The fact is we have a three-four year window of being very competitive while Wentz is on his rookie contract. You’ll need to pay Dak (maybe. You may find out he’s not really worth a big contract) a year before we have to pay Carson. And the next year you have to pay Zeke.

The vast majority of your roster isn’t actually set beyond this year. Look at next offseason....... Agholor, Graham, Darby, Hicks (although he might be a RFA) are all due for big deals. At your current cap level, you can’t bring all four back without having to cut someone somewhere.

It’s the problem the Cowboys ran into and you guys will too.

Sydla

Reaction score
Isn’t this the zone where you DO talk about other teams in the NFL?
I’m thinking that’s why you have different zones, no? And no, there is no NFL section on BGN. Just as there is none on BTB.

They have different zones to segment the conversations.

So when an Eagles fan says he doesn’t care about the Cowboys but is in a Cowboys site posting, it makes one look kind of stupid.

ghostdog

Reaction score
The vast majority of your roster isn’t actually set beyond this year. Look at next offseason....... Agholor, Graham, Darby, Hicks (although he might be a RFA) are all due for big deals. At your current cap level, you can’t bring all four back without having to cut someone somewhere.

It’s the problem the Cowboys ran into and you guys will too.
But the cowboys never ran into them after winning a SB. And as far as players we have to sign next year it’s not a worry. There are players this year that will be let go of not because we need to but because we have their replacements ready to play. THAT my friend is the difference! We won when players went down all year. Honestly, after watching last year name a player we can’t do without that needs to be paid? WE choose who to let go, not the cap!

Valorius

Reaction score
But the cowboys never ran into them after winning a SB. And as far as players we have to sign next year it’s not a worry. There are players this year that will be let go of not because we need to but because we have their replacements ready to play. THAT my friend is the difference! We won when players went down all year. Honestly, after watching last year name a player we can’t do without that needs to be paid? WE choose who to let go, not the cap!

Actually, i think if we lost Patrick Robinson, it would be a huge loss.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Actually, i think if we lost Patrick Robinson, it would be a huge loss.
I think Mills will be fine in the slot. His problem has always been double moves. Not many slot receivers have that in their arsenal. He’ll be fine there. Excited to see Sydney Jones at 100%.

Sydla

Reaction score

Winning the SB doesn't magically make the problems go away or mitigate them.

Problems are problems and you guys will have some tough choices coming up in the next couple of offseasons.

I think Bradham would be a big loss if you don't resign him. When Hicks went down, he was your best LB. Don't try to tell me you have some super stud in waiting at his LB spot.

Also, as noted, Robinson might also be a big loss. Sidney Jones is coming off an Achilles. You have no idea what kind of player he might be.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score

There is going to have to be a lot of players let go and restructures made, as it stands you are currently $12.9m over the cap, and have 13 UFA, even trading Foles will not save you that much as he was paid $7m in guarantees.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Winning the SB doesn't magically make the problems go away or mitigate them.

Problems are problems and you guys will have some tough choices coming up in the next couple of offseasons.

I think Bradham would be a big loss if you don't resign him. When Hicks went down, he was your best LB. Don't try to tell me you have some super stud in waiting at his LB spot.

Also, as noted, Robinson might also be a big loss. Sidney Jones is coming off an Achilles. You have no idea what kind of player he might be.
Who said anything about problems going away? I never did. Here’s the deal. Winning the SB saids that the way you’ve handled your cap actually worked. So for all the supposed problems you see in our future, we KNOW we have a formula that works. You on the other hand have more problems than we do and you know for an assured fact you have no idea of what you’re doing cap-wise.
Let’s take a look. Michael Kendrick’s played great this year stepping in for Hicks. If Bradshaw leaves Kendrick’s swings to strong side and will play well. He’s signed through 2019. And Jones played well in his one game. All I wanted to see was his speed, and that was fine. And in the slot we have a few options. From Mills to Douglas. Booth played very good this year.
How about you guys? Lose Lee (who you basically lose every year) you suck. Lose Smith and you suck. Lose Elliott and you suck. You have two guys this year wanting major contracts. Next year you need to think about re-signing Dak (if he is the guy. I have doubts about that BTW) which is going to be $25 million/year and then have to pay Elliott the next year. We have a three year window in which to load our roster before having to pay Carson. I think out situation is much better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who said anything about problems going away? I never did. Here’s the deal. Winning the SB saids that the way you’ve handled your cap actually worked. So for all the supposed problems you see in our future, we KNOW we have a formula that works. You on the other hand have more problems than we do and you know for an assured fact you have no idea of what you’re doing cap-wise.
Let’s take a look. Michael Kendrick’s played great this year stepping in for Hicks. If Bradshaw leaves Kendrick’s swings to strong side and will play well. He’s signed through 2019. And Jones played well in his one game. All I wanted to see was his speed, and that was fine. And in the slot we have a few options. From Mills to Douglas. Booth played very good this year.
How about you guys? Lose Lee (who you basically lose every year) you suck. Lose Smith and you suck. Lose Elliott and you suck. You have two guys this year wanting major contracts. Next year you need to think about re-signing Dak (if he is the guy. I have doubts about that BTW) which is going to be $25 million/year and then have to pay Elliott the next year. We have a three year window in which to load our roster before having to pay Carson. I think out situation is much better.

That's the entire point of our discussion. The Eagles have some cap problems and will have to make some interesting and tough decisions going forward. You, at least early in your arguing, seemed to indicate that they really didn't have cap issues. Shoot, even the most homeristic blog in NFL land - Bleeding Green Nation - admits the Eagles have some cap issues and Roseman is going to have to get creative to create space.

You just proved my point by spending the 2nd part of your post ripping the Cowboys situation despite the fact you guys are largely in a similar situation.

I get it. You just won the SB and your chests are all puffed out and you think you are Teflon.

ghostdog

Reaction score
That's the entire point of our discussion. The Eagles have some cap problems and will have to make some interesting and tough decisions going forward. You, at least early in your arguing, seemed to indicate that they really didn't have cap issues. Shoot, even the most homeristic blog in NFL land - Bleeding Green Nation - admits the Eagles have some cap issues and Roseman is going to have to get creative to create space.

You just proved my point by spending the 2nd part of your post ripping the Cowboys situation despite the fact you guys are largely in a similar situation.

I get it. You just won the SB and your chests are all puffed out and you think you are Teflon.
Teflon has nothing to do with it. The whole thing is to field a competitive team within the restrictions of a cap. And winning the SB is not the end all to be all. It was the way in which it was won. Playing backs ups in the most important positions on the field, QB, MLB, LT, and RB.
Listen, all the cap is about is how teams fill the back ends of their rosters. Your stars and starters will get paid. Pay them too well you can’t fill the back end of your roster. I think we did the best filling the back end and just as importantly we got them ready to play. Period.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score

Going forward cap wise, we are in a more healthier position than the Eagles based on a projected cap of $178m, this of course can go up or down.

In 2019 our projected cap space is $56m v Eagles $13m over the cap
in 2020 our projected cap space is $119m v Eagles $39m

In the current 3 year window 2018-2020 we have around +$195m in cap $$ to sign new contracts v Phillies +$14m. You may have a 3 year window to sign Carson but you are over the cap for the following 2 seasons to the tune of $26m

ghostdog

Reaction score
M
Going forward cap wise, we are in a more healthier position than the Eagles based on a projected cap of $178m, this of course can go up or down.

In 2019 our projected cap space is $56m v Eagles $13m over the cap
in 2020 our projected cap space is $119m v Eagles $39m

In the current 3 year window 2018-2020 we have around +$195m in cap $$ to sign new contracts v Phillies +$14m. You may have a 3 year window to sign Carson but you are over the cap for the following 2 seasons to the tune of $26m
It’s all relative. Here’s a scenario for you to show how silly those projections are. What happens if Garrett falls on his *** this year and gets fired?Hiring a new coach means bringing in new schemes.
So your past 2-3 drafts are now subject to change depending on scheme fits. And that windfall in cap space is now being thrown at FAs just to field a squad.
Now looking at our situation. If two years from now we haven’t gotten back to the SB what stops us from gutting the roster and reloading? But we have our roster set for the next couple of years. And we have no issue cutting players because we have developed their replacement. Which is the best way to lessen the effect of being on the bad side of the cap.

Sydla

Reaction score
M

It’s all relative. Here’s a scenario for you to show how silly those projections are. What happens if Garrett falls on his *** this year and gets fired?Hiring a new coach means bringing in new schemes.
So your past 2-3 drafts are now subject to change depending on scheme fits. And that windfall in cap space is now being thrown at FAs just to field a squad.
Now looking at our situation. If two years from now we haven’t gotten back to the SB what stops us from gutting the roster and reloading? But we have our roster set for the next couple of years. And we have no issue cutting players because we have developed their replacement. Which is the best way to lessen the effect of being on the bad side of the cap.

Maybe the talent is already there for a new coach? I mean the Eagles didn't have to make a ton of changes on defense going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 under Schwartz.

You keep proving our point, where you basically are making the same arguments Cowboys fans made years ago when you Eagles fans were laughing at the Cowboys cap situation. I mean, you think Robinson going is no big deal because you have Jones....... a guy who is coming off a serious injury and has played like 10 minutes in an NFL game.

This is all quite simple. The Eagles have some cap issues coming. It's not a myth or made up. It's reality. No, it's not soul crushing or organizational shifting type problems where they go from Super Bowl to high school team in a season. But you have some cap constraints coming up and some interesting names that have contracts coming up very soon.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
M

Whether Garrett falls on his arse or not, and Dallas changes schemes, Philly are cap tied for the next 2 seasons, so they need to make cuts and restructures,there is no 2 ways about it, so you are going to be pushing $$ further down the road which again will be an issue in the next 3-5 years. Hard choices need to be made, and you may not like that outcome.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Maybe the talent is already there for a new coach? I mean the Eagles didn't have to make a ton of changes on defense going from a 3-4 to a 4-3 under Schwartz.

You keep proving our point, where you basically are making the same arguments Cowboys fans made years ago when you Eagles fans were laughing at the Cowboys cap situation. I mean, you think Robinson going is no big deal because you have Jones....... a guy who is coming off a serious injury and has played like 10 minutes in an NFL game.

This is all quite simple. The Eagles have some cap issues coming. It's not a myth or made up. It's reality. No, it's not soul crushing or organizational shifting type problems where they go from Super Bowl to high school team in a season. But you have some cap constraints coming up and some interesting names that have contracts coming up very soon.
I never said that we didn't. My point of contention is that we are better equipped to handle those decisions. We have developed our players at a much higher clip. From QBs, OL, DL, WRs, TEs safety's and DBs. I didn't list RBs because I'm not convinced we have what I would say is a dominant run game, it's more efficient than dominating. Developing players means you can let players walk because you have players in the pipeline that will give you basically the same play from younger cheaper talent. The only player I would feel bad about losing is Trey Burton. Other than that no player we need is going anywhere. Howie will make the best choices.

Sydla

Reaction score
I never said that we didn't. My point of contention is that we are better equipped to handle those decisions. We have developed our players at a much higher clip. From QBs, OL, DL, WRs, TEs safety's and DBs. I didn't list RBs because I'm not convinced we have what I would say is a dominant run game, it's more efficient than dominating. Developing players means you can let players walk because you have players in the pipeline that will give you basically the same play from younger cheaper talent. The only player I would feel bad about losing is Trey Burton. Other than that no player we need is going anywhere. Howie will make the best choices.

You keep saying you are better equipped but that's not necessarily true. Sure, you have V for Peters. And you have a guy like Barnett if you cut Curry (but given Schwartz rotates guys extensively, you will still have to find another few DEs, especially if Long also walks). But not every spot is like that. For example, who is your slot WR that would take over for Agholor if he has another big season and likely gets a big WR contract? Who is the young CB taking over for Darby if he is good again next year and hits FA in 2019?

ghostdog

Reaction score
You keep saying you are better equipped but that's not necessarily true. Sure, you have V for Peters. And you have a guy like Barnett if you cut Curry (but given Schwartz rotates guys extensively, you will still have to find another few DEs, especially if Long also walks). But not every spot is like that. For example, who is your slot WR that would take over for Agholor if he has another big season and likely gets a big WR contract? Who is the young CB taking over for Darby if he is good again next year and hits FA in 2019?
Steven Means would have made every roster in the league but here he was stuck on the PS. And last year we drafted two WRs. Hollies and Sheldon Gibson. Booth ranked in college with the best yards per catch average. Hollies was 22 per and Gibson was 19 per. And our CB is Rasul Douglas. He started the first 6 games for us this year. We were 5-1 with him in the line up. The one position that I wish we draft early is OLB. But other than that we are solid at the very least.

Sydla

Reaction score
Steven Means would have made every roster in the league but here he was stuck on the PS. And last year we drafted two WRs. Hollies and Sheldon Gibson. Booth ranked in college with the best yards per catch average. Hollies was 22 per and Gibson was 19 per. And our CB is Rasul Douglas. He started the first 6 games for us this year. We were 5-1 with him in the line up. The one position that I wish we draft early is OLB. But other than that we are solid at the very least.

Steven Means. LOL.

See, this is why it’s hard to take you seriously at this point. Means is a dime a dozen DE in this league.

Gibson was a huge disappointment in camp to the point they were talking as if he could potentially be a camp cut. Suddenly acting like he’s a “guy” that could take over for Agholor is hilarious.

Basically, your analysis is that since you have a “body” on the depth chart, he’s gotta be good and you can let guys walk in FA.

A little tidbit for you. I live in Philly so I hear a lot about what’s going on with the team, listen to the radio, read the papers, etc. So next time, don’t try to float something like Gibson as Agholor’replacement and think i wont realize you are trying to float a turd past us.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Steven Means. LOL.

See, this is why it’s hard to take you seriously at this point. Means is a dime a dozen DE in this league.

Gibson was a huge disappointment in camp to the point they were talking as if he could potentially be a camp cut. Suddenly acting like he’s a “guy” that could take over for Agholor is hilarious.

Basically, your analysis is that since you have a “body” on the depth chart, he’s gotta be good and you can let guys walk in FA.

A little tidbit for you. I live in Philly so I hear a lot about what’s going on with the team, listen to the radio, read the papers, etc. So next time, don’t try to float something like Gibson as Agholor’replacement and think i wont realize you are trying to float a turd past us.
I couldn't care less about where you live. And naming names mean nothing to me either. What I do know is the Eagles DEVELOP their players. So anyone who they see that has potential is capable of stepping up or else they wouldn't be here. Period. And bringing up the "they were talking" media driven crap talk is so typical of a cowboy fan. Bravo, as a Philadelphian you passed their bs test.
And dime a dozen DEs have GPS systems where Dallas is not part of the known universe? Because you've had one in the past 5 years. And it took a contract year for him to show up, pay that man!!! lol. Listen I have nothing against you, I don't t even know you. But living here and knowing the Eagles history where the cap is concerned tells me that you are either slow or being disingenuous. From Banner to Roseman they manage the cap better than most. In your heart of hearts you know this.