Rewind: The Seattle Game

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Great defensive series punctuated by Lawrence owning Ifedi.

Dallas takes the punt, has a penalty and everyone's passionate Cowboy4life puts the ball on the ground.
I’m saying this as a Hawks fan, EVERYONE OWNS Ifedi. He is the human turnstyle.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I just don't like our offensive playbook. I also am a little annoyed we take these guys that must fit this WR prototype but can't gain separation; Devin Street, Noah Brown. Just get guys with speed that can run routes. I dont care if hes an inch or two shorter than the "prototype", if he can get separation you should be able to dial up something to take advantage of a matchup

Our WR analysis has probably been one of the more underrated negatives of our scouting process.

The offensive scheme is really in a make or break kind of year, imo. When Dak is "on", it's okay, but any good QB can play well enough in any scheme. Still, the better teams in the league constantly adjust their offensive playbook because of changing personnel and to keep defenses honest from year to year. It makes things easier for your QB too, if they happen to have a bad game, or you have to play a backup.

Defenses adjusted last year, we have to do the same.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a love-hate relationship with Linehan
He can design and offense to fit a player's strengths and tailor it to his needs
2014 he designed and offense for Romo that that gave him his best season ever.
In 2016 he designed an offense for Dak that made a rookie look like the NFL Super Bowl MVP.
What made these offenses so effective was defenses had no idea what was coming

in Romo's offense it was a lot of short horizontal stuff with huge RAC because defenses were playing back normally and there was space.
Towards the end of 2014 defenses begin to move people up and what saved the season was Dez and his incredible jump balls. And Jason was still effective inside.

What I hate about Linehan is he designs these offenses he begins to morph them back into his base offense which is a pocket, short Dink and dunk replace the run with a pass offense.

It won't work if you don't have a threat on the outside and if we don't have a tight end who is a threat inside
We have neither.
I have faith that Scott will develop an amazing offense like he did in 2016 keeping Dak on the move and defenses totally lost.
The key is to have a receiver with some speed and Witten has to sit at least 50% of the snaps.
Lastly he's got to stick with the Run and keep at least a 50-50 mix going. My biggest pet peeve with Linehan his going away from the run when teams can't stop it

I think it was the Eagles first game we were pounding it outside they couldn't stop it yet for whatever reason we decided to just go away from the run and start doing the short passing stuff and the game just fell apart from there.

He does this over and over again because it's his base philosophy and it's got to go away or he's got to go away one of the two.
Thanks for the game recap I hope you do more because even though I DVR every game somehow they get lost as the season goes on
I think it has something to do with my wife go figure

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
A team has to fail utterly in so many facets to lose a game in which its opponent had more penalty yards than total yards. It was definitely a coaching failure. I don’t where Garrett goes from here. He’s working on his third coaching staff overhaul.
I know where Garrett goes from here. Straight into next season with a big fat smile on his face.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I just don't like our offensive playbook. I also am a little annoyed we take these guys that must fit this WR prototype but can't gain separation; Devin Street, Noah Brown. Just get guys with speed that can run routes. I dont care if hes an inch or two shorter than the "prototype", if he can get separation you should be able to dial up something to take advantage of a matchup

Our WR analysis has probably been one of the more underrated negatives of our scouting process.

The offensive scheme is really in a make or break kind of year, imo. When Dak is "on", it's okay, but any good QB can play well enough in any scheme. Still, the better teams in the league constantly adjust their offensive playbook because of changing personnel and to keep defenses honest from year to year. It makes things easier for your QB too, if they happen to have a bad game, or you have to play a backup.

Defenses adjusted last year, we have to do the same.
Adjustments? That is foreign to Garrett. If we do make adjustments we wait until the next game. See Atlanta fiasco. Garrett decided to chip for his backup tackles the game after the Atlanta game. Dumbest coaching EVER!!!!!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I was listening to NFL Radio on my way home from work last night, and they had Todd Archer on as a guest. It was the typical, "state of the Cowboys," type questions. The last questions was about the coaching changes, and Archer said that Pollack was let go because between him and Linehan, they couldn't figure out a way to marry the pass and run schemes. Everyone knew that if Noah Brown was on the field, 75% of the time they were running the ball. When Beasely was on the field, 75% of the time it was a pass. Everybody knew what was coming based on the personnel on the field.

That is pathetic!

Tristan

Reaction score
2nd possession, Tyron Smith has exited the lineup.

For some reason, they felt they could be tricky and try designed plays to Noah Brown. Earl Thomas came up on a designed Prescott run and tattooed him.

It is amazing the routes they have Beasley run. They are basically the same thing, every time.

Williams is the only receiver doing anything.

Pivotal play at the 50 on 2nd and 4, another Noah Brown incompletion after he ran a very primitive route.

Prescott has looked awful, mainly due to pressure that the Seahawks were running at him. Mostly secondary players blitzing.
Or wr routes are befuddling! They dont seem to have any intelligent options where they react to the defense, they seem to stubbornly run the same routes. There was a play i was watching on replay and we had 2 wr running down the field with 2 dbs spaced out to their left and a bunch of open field to their right. They both turned left towards the coverage and away from the open field. Dak then had no one open and had to throw it away.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Or wr routes are befuddling! They dont seem to have any intelligent options where they react to the defense, they seem to stubbornly run the same routes. There was a play i was watching on replay and we had 2 wr running down the field with 2 dbs spaced out to their left and a bunch of open field to their right. They both turned left towards the coverage and away from the open field. Dak then had no one open and had to throw it away.
It is just amazing to watch.

You don't really notice on Sundays because you are concentrating on the action as it unfolds.

But if you go back and look, it is blatantly obvious we don't value variety in route concepts and really don't put a lot of thought into it.

It is a very arrogant implementation. It is almost like we figure we are the best, here it is, stop it. Well, they seem to have caught up to our talented group.

Alexander

Reaction score
Everyone knew that if Noah Brown was on the field, 75% of the time they were running the ball. When Beasely was on the field, 75% of the time it was a pass. Everybody knew what was coming based on the personnel on the field.

That is nothing new. Over the past few years, you could pretty much count on the fact that if Dwayne Harris or Lucky Whitehead was in the subpackage, it was either a run or a reverse.

In this game, they actually targeted Brown three times I believe. Problem is, there were bad passes and poor rounded off routes from Brown.

Tristan

Reaction score
It is just amazing to watch.

You don't really notice on Sundays because you are concentrating on the action as it unfolds.

But if you go back and look, it is blatantly obvious we don't value variety in route concepts and really don't put a lot of thought into it.

It is a very arrogant implementation. It is almost like we figure we are the best, here it is, stop it. Well, they seem to have caught up to our talented group.
I agree, hard to have faith with that bs. Then you watch NE and they consistantly have plays with everyfreakinbody wide open by five yards in just a few seconds

Alexander

Reaction score
It appears we favor physical size mismatches over route skill mismatches.

I don't know about anyone else, if I am evaluating a WR, I don't really care how tall they are as long as it is within reason. If the player can break ankles running a route that means more to me than if I could get a pass to them at a high point.

Last edited:

Alexander

Reaction score
I agree, hard to have faith with that bs. Then you watch NE and they consistantly have plays with everyfreakinbody wide open by five yards in just a few seconds

That is due to their timing based offense that is designed that way and it is highly dependent on the QB to make pre-snap reads. There are several routes built in and most are drawn up to open quickly. It is built to get some yards, any yards, within a few seconds from the snap.

Our offense has very little to no timing involved. It usually means the QB drops back, reads as the play develops. Romo would shift people around to try to get the best advantage, but the majority of the time there is only so much you can do. There is a reason his improvisational skills have been missed. He made this horrible scheme respectable because he made the plays off script.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I have not watched it since it happened.

Since I am a masochist, I am firing it up right now.

Oh look, we got Zeke back! Everything is fixed.

Wait, on 2nd down a pass clanks off Bryant's hands.

The third down play was indicative of our struggles.

Prescott gets blitzed. But if you look at the WR patterns, we have Bryant running a deep inside route after going in motion, Witten is the lone receiver on the left side of the field. Beasley runs some lazy five yard out and god only knows what Williams was supposed to do.
Loved this thread. Liked almost every one of your posts. Great job Alex.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Thank you.

This is so great. I may one day surpass Risen Star and threaten the superpowers: Trouty and dallasdave
I hate to break this to you, but DallasDave is All-Powerful and Trouty is a sneaky...guy.
Buenos suerte.

Edit: I should have put @'s, but whatevs. I'm edgy now.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
Ifedi should be a guard and learn to run block, he's not a pass protector at all. at least you have Fant coming back.
You are exactly right! I’ve been saying this very thing for a year now.
I’m glad Cable is gone and hopefully they will stop playing guys out of position.