News: Richard high on rookie Michael Jackson

IrishAnto

Reaction score
It has been talked about as a core principle by Marinelli for years.

Sometimes the player has to have that knack. Charles Tillman was one of those players with Marinelli and the Bears. He perfected the techniques for stripping the ball. Unheralded CBs in his system would have good INT productivity. It is not just the player or just the coaching.
That may be true, but when we've gone through as many players on this defense over the years (from top 10 draft picks to undrafted FAs) and still are unable to create turnovers it points more to the way the players are coached/used than to the players themselves.

cern

Reaction score
more picks occur over the middle. the plays are in front of you and there are more hands to get in the way. as for corners, they either cover by virtue of athleticism and also watching the ball or they stick to the receiver and watch his eyes. the latter does not lend itself to picks. just passes defensed. the pressure up front causes a lot of picks. no qb in the nfl can be successful with pressure in his face.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There absolutely has to be turnover in the future.

Byron Jones is low on the totem pole. Anthony Brown will likely be able to get starter money in FA with another strong season.

This is not a team that should even consider prioritizing the CB position with the other priorities on the roster.

And Awuzie and Lewis are free agents in 2021 as well.

And who knows if Lewis even has a place on this year's 53? That's not saying it's right, just saying it's possible he's traded away as soon as this year.

They've been looking at several guys that fit Richard's physical proptype. From keeping Olumba all of last year to drafting Jackson and picking up Westry this year. That's not simply coincidence.

Change is on the horizon at cornerback.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And Awuzie and Lewis are free agents in 2021 as well.

And who knows if Lewis even has a place on this year's 53? That's not saying it's right, just saying it's possible he's traded away as soon as this year.

They've been looking at several guys that fit Richard's physical proptype. From keeping Olumba all of last year to drafting Jackson and picking up Westry this year. That's not simply coincidence.

Change is on the horizon at cornerback.
He is making these changes so I am hoping he takes over DC next year. Hate to see him make changes and then lose him.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
please note that none other than bill belichik himself will be coordinating the patriots defense this year. the hc should hire a dc that will run the kind of defense the hc wants and the gm should get him the players to do so. I wouldn't call garrett a defensive guru. he gave us rob ryan. he gave us monte who then proceeded to coach us to have the worst defense in the nfl and rod was given monte's job. bill parcells came here with mike zimmer already in place as his dc. zimmer was quite good at his job. first thing bill did was tell zimmer to change to a 3-4 defense. he got rid of the smaller lb's and brought in larger bodies. he left us with 13 pro bowlers. I agree with alexander when he said garrett was a chameleon.
The HC hired Richard.....Why are you confused on this. Richard himself stated that JG and how he was as a man and a coach was a big reason for him taking a secondary coaching job over a DC job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is making these changes so I am hoping he takes over DC next year. Hate to see him make changes and then lose him.

I think it's all a big farce being done solely to 'save face' for Marinelli.

Richard is the true defensive coordinator now and has been for quite some time. When he's coaching two of the three levels of the defense and calling plays, while Marinelli is focused on the line? Yeah, Richard is the true coordinator and it's high time the overly-sensitive organization came out and said it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think it's all a big farce being done solely to 'save face' for Marinelli.

Richard is the true defensive coordinator now and has been for quite some time. When he's coaching two of the three levels of the defense and calling plays, while Marinelli is focused on the line? Yeah, Richard is the true coordinator and it's high time the overly-sensitive organization came out and said it.
I do wonder if he was calling the plays in the rams game. He was gone some of the week doing interviews for another job. The way they played it seemed like a game Marinelli would call.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do wonder if he was calling the plays in the rams game. He was gone some of the week doing interviews for another job. The way they played it seemed like a game Marinelli would call.

I just keep in mind what killed them. The Rams knowing 90% of what they were doing based on what the defensive line was doing. Marinelli’s defensive line.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What's the deal with websites writing an article and then headlining the article with a video that is only loosely connected to the article?

cern

Reaction score
The HC hired Richard.....Why are you confused on this. Richard himself stated that JG and how he was as a man and a coach was a big reason for him taking a secondary coaching job over a DC job.
I am not confused. Stephen is hiring the new coaches. He is remaking the team in his image. I do not believe Garrett is in his plans regardless of our record in 2019.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I am not confused. Stephen is hiring the new coaches. He is remaking the team in his image. I do not believe Garrett is in his plans regardless of our record in 2019.
Then you do not believe Kris....which is cool.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Has a knack for getting to the ball...not necessarily the same build...but the way in which he plays reminds me of him. I think its the confidence he plays with. I think they comp real well. Washington had the flex to play corner AND SAFETY.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I just keep in mind what killed them. The Rams knowing 90% of what they were doing based on what the defensive line was doing. Marinelli’s defensive line.
I have a hard time with the rams being the only team that could figure this out. Unless they somehow got info other teams didn’t have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a hard time with the rams being the only team that could figure this out. Unless they somehow got info other teams didn’t have.

Every team (well almost every team) has a qualified pro scouting department whose job it is to review film and try to find anything that tops them off to what an opponent is doing. The better teams have better scouting. They were also able to scout the Rams and find that McVay was coaching up Goff on the field. And defense's waited before they showed their hand on the field. That's why Goff's numbers dropped during and after the Bears game. They were the first to figure that out.

I just hope the Cowboys have identified and eliminated those tells

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Check the Michael Jackson jokes at the door.......:muttley:

Cowboys impressed with rookie who told team to 'come get me'
ByPATRIK WALKER May 31, 9:20 AM

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...s-impressed-with-rookie-cornerback-132376731/

It wasn't a foregone conclusion the Dallas Cowboys would select a cornerback in the 2019 NFL Draft.

There were arguably more pressing needs to fill, although their stellar offseason haul of veteran talent kept any of those from being an absolute must-resolve. With the level of flexibility throughout the draft, they were able to simply stick to their board and truly select the best player available. After striking not one, but two, deals to trade back on Day 2, they finally went on the clock with the 158th-overall pick, and the team knew exactly who they wanted.

That's good to hear as it's unlikely we keep Byron Jones and I'm pretty sure Anthony Brown's contract is up after this year

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He was being nice. Nothing wrong with that.
Being nice? One of the best DCs in the NFL took a job as a secondary coach to be nice?! Cowboys fans.....we have to do better.