Video: Rico One-Hand catch today

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Cooper Rush. Saw number 7.[/QUOTE
oh hell, I need to start a new thread on the most amazing pass by rush... can we get a better video of the pass who cares about the catch.. that was the best pass all preseason..

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Benched? lol Bryant is gone.....TWill if you remember didn't get one target the following the week. You will not give JG credit for any of this so no need for the typical Cowboys fan response to anything positive said about JG.

Credit for what? Being average? Sorry but Im not settling for average. We're the Cowboys and we've lived with being average long enough. We need to start winning.

As for Bryant - heck yeah I would have benched his *** for dropping passes. How many games have we lost because he kept asking for the ball and kept fumbling it away? I would have put him on the bench the next week.

No Garrett doesn't do that. All he does is butt slaps his players regardless they do go or bad. Thats the problem with him. He's too friendly and buddy buddy with them. To me that ain't excellence.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Credit for what? Being average? Sorry but Im not settling for average. We're the Cowboys and we've lived with being average long enough. We need to start winning.

As for Bryant - heck yeah I would have benched his *** for dropping passes. How many games have we lost because he kept asking for the ball and kept fumbling it away? I would have put him on the bench the next week.

No Garrett doesn't do that. All he does is butt slaps his players regardless they do go or bad. Thats the problem with him. He's too friendly and buddy buddy with them. To me that ain't excellence.
Garrett got rid of bad coaches and brought in 4 very good positional coaches during the offseason. We all are now seeing the huge improvements on veteran and rookie players because of it. So what's the problem? You have too big of an ego to give Garrett credit?

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Cowboys fans can't help themselves. Thank you for making my point. JG has never did anything good as a coach for the Dallas Cowboys.....YAWN

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett got rid of bad coaches and brought in 4 very good positional coaches during the offseason. We all are now seeing the huge improvements on veteran and rookie players because of it. So what's the problem? You have too big of an ego to give Garrett credit?

Those coaches were brought in by Garrett in the first place. Besides, it wasn't Garrett who got rid of them. I believe it was Stephen Jones. He wanted to give Linehan more control over the offense. Thus the hiring of new oline coach and receivers coach. Also, they got rid of Bryant and Witten retiring. Frankly, they just want to make Garrett a walk around coach. I agree with that to be honest. The less he focuses on cheering the better for the team.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Cowboys fans can't help themselves. Thank you for making my point. JG has never did anything good as a coach for the Dallas Cowboys.....YAWN

Nothing wrong with wanting to go Superbowl right? If you agree than we have a lot in common.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Those coaches were brought in by Garrett in the first place. Besides, it wasn't Garrett who got rid of them. I believe it was Stephen Jones. He wanted to give Linehan more control over the offense. Thus the hiring of new oline coach and receivers coach. Also, they got rid of Bryant and Witten retiring. Frankly, they just want to make Garrett a walk around coach. I agree with that to be honest. The less he focuses on cheering the better for the team.
Tons of assumptions you are making here. Sounds like your hatred of Garrett is so extreme that you simply refuse to give him credit for these offseason coaching changes WHICH HAVE MADE A HUGE POSITIVE DIFFERENCE for the team. "Assuming" that Garrett didn't have a big part AS HEAD COACH of making such changes is simply not right. Of course, Garrett was totally behind such moves.

POST EDIT: I understand your frustrations towards Garrett because of his decisions in years past, but it is clearly obvious Garrett has learned from some of those mistakes and made much better coaching decisions.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Tons of assumptions you are making here. Sounds like your hatred of Garrett is so extreme that you simply refuse to give him credit for these offseason coaching changes WHICH HAVE MADE A HUGE POSITIVE DIFFERENCE for the team. "Assuming" that Garrett didn't have a big part AS HEAD COACH of making such changes is simply not right. Of course, Garrett was totally behind such moves.

Not assumptions. Just what I heard. Its not a knock on Garrett if Stephen Jones wants to give Linehan full control of the offense - rather than Garrett calling some of the plays. I feel thats the best move for this team going forward.

Garrett has never been much of an X and Os guy. Thats been mentioned before by players and not something made up. Why have him call the plays if he doesn't know his X and Os? And if he doesn't know his Xs and Os why is he the head coach?

As for those coaches that he got rid of - he was responsible for bringing them here in the first place. So you criticize those coaches as bad but Garrett had a hand in bringing them here? I don't get it.

Jipper

Reaction score

Ahh yes the old give Garrett blame for anything bad and no credit for anything good....seen it before and didn't agree with it then or now....

Garrett is the HC and to say he had no part in hiring or firing of his staff is an ignorant statement

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have never been that impressed with most one handed catches. Some are great. Most are extremely overrated. To me, the two handed difficult catch is way more impressive because it shows that a receiver can be fundamentally sound in all situations and more likely to catch almost everything.

When Junior Odell Beckham made that famous one handed stab against us in 2014, suddenly every 12 year old playing receiver tries to one hand catch passes that are supposed to be made with two. The one hand grab should be an extreme rarity rather than a go to.

Nothing against Rico in this instance. It’s a nice catch. Is it great? Not really.
One handed grabs appeal to the unwashed masses as woo plays.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not assumptions. Just what I heard. Its not a knock on Garrett if Stephen Jones wants to give Linehan full control of the offense - rather than Garrett calling some of the plays. I feel thats the best move for this team going forward.

Garrett has never been much of an X and Os guy. Thats been mentioned before by players and not something made up. Why have him call the plays if he doesn't know his X and Os? And if he doesn't know his Xs and Os why is he the head coach?

As for those coaches that he got rid of - he was responsible for bringing them here in the first place. So you criticize those coaches as bad but Garrett had a hand in bringing them here? I don't get it.

Linehan tookover play calling years ago and the results have largely been the same. The offense has carried this team for most of Garret's tenure wether he or linehan called the plays.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Looked like a perfect pass and a receiver to slow to get to the spot. If he ran faster the ball would have landing right in both hands.

JustChip

Reaction score
the knock onhim is poor route tree etc but I agree just let him run fly routes and do what he does best but only a handful of times agame, hes a lability when in..no one hasn't said the guy cant catch we saw it last preseason before his injury its the rest that keeps him on the bench but really how often has he really been available , dudes hurt too much..if hes doesnt break through this year with an open comp, it over for him..
This is a telling quote from him when asked about his one-handed catch:

”Nah, because there is more to this game than making plays like that,” Gathers said. “There’s an every-day aspect of it. Coming in, critiquing the blocking, and just being an every-day guy. You can make that catch one day than, shoot, and you don’t make no more catches for two weeks later like that. Coach doesn’t like flash players.”

Now, that could be just lip service and when it doesn't really put in the time and effort to do all the things that are required, but if it is what he truly thinks, there's hope he'll make the roster, either as the 4th TE or forcing them to cut Swaim or Schultz (Jarwin is probably a lock because they kept him from being poached last year).

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I like the athleticism to secure the catch and keep running upfield... I wouldn’t want to tackle him...
I read all the analysis of why he should be cut. Sounds good, makes sense. Then I watch the film & realize those are human beings not puppies running along behind him. When the time rolls around, they don't want to tackle him either. Call me crazy but I think I could find a way for him to contribute.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Linehan tookover play calling years ago and the results have largely been the same. The offense has carried this team for most of Garret's tenure wether he or linehan called the plays.

Linehan is still calling plays from Garretts playbook. So its still mostly Garretts offense.

This is the first year we are making it a more Dak friendly offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is a telling quote from him when asked about his one-handed catch:

”Nah, because there is more to this game than making plays like that,” Gathers said. “There’s an every-day aspect of it. Coming in, critiquing the blocking, and just being an every-day guy. You can make that catch one day than, shoot, and you don’t make no more catches for two weeks later like that. Coach doesn’t like flash players.”

Now, that could be just lip service and when it doesn't really put in the time and effort to do all the things that are required, but if it is what he truly thinks, there's hope he'll make the roster, either as the 4th TE or forcing them to cut Swaim or Schultz (Jarwin is probably a lock because they kept him from being poached last year).
im all for giving him time to develop, hes been on the IR and PUP most times and not taking a roster spot so why people are in hurray to cut guy who possible goes somewhere else and becomes star, or NOT but you need to let some guys like him who are raw but a physical talent to develop..if he didnt get hurt in preseason last year he would have played some real snaps last season especially during that horrid 4 game stretch with al the injuries..he could have made some plays IMO gave the defense a new look and a mismatch for jump balls..