Rico was left on IR even tho he was healthy

Centex

Reaction score
You know what concerns me about Rico is that the hit that took him out for the season really didn't look like that hard of a hit.

GMO415

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's not make a federal case out of this thing and encourage harsh penalties from Goodell and his NFL cronies. We merely did what others have done in the past with no outrageous and/or overblown discipline from the NFL hierarchy. Here's hoping Rico is able to continue his development without being delayed any longer than he already has. He's upset about the loss of practice time and that's understandable. After all, his career is at stake.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You guys are acting like they can just remove everyone they want from IR without it being a big deal. In the past, once on IR, teams could not bring any players back. Now, teams can bring two players back to the active roster per season after they have been on IR for 8 weeks. Why would you bring back a player that would be fourth on the depth chart last year? Why fourth? Because as I have pointed out several times the Cowboys offensive scheme focuses tightends more on blocking than receiving and his blocking abilities put him fourth on the depth chart.

I think a lot of fans here are viewing IR like it's a temporary thing for a player to heal and return the moment they are better. The NFL's Injured Reserve does not work like that. If it did, teams would be stashing players on IR for depth and pulling them back the moment they need them. That's why they used to not allow any players to return from IR.

The only reason it changed was because teams were losing more star and important players and they were tying up their 53 roster spots with those injured players for a large part of the season in hopes they could return toward the end and/or for the playoffs. Teams typically use their "Return from IR" options now on players who are important to their team, not young depth players.

Now, you can question why they put him on IR to begin with as I did. And yes, he could have been "stashed" there because they knew he wouldn't be available for several games. However, what they did in leaving him on IR was in no way against the rules and not even from the spirit of the rules in this case.
They were definitely hoping to get a stash year for a player not quite ready but too good to lose

They know if they went PS again he would get grabbed by another team..... they added Jarwin to the 53 because of this and didn't have room for 5 TEs

He could still attend meetings and hang around but couldn't practice.... they paid him a Split Salary of 348k and he accrued a year of service time......if he filed a grievance he could have won since we didn't use either IR-DTR

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There is no violation. He went on IR for a major concussion and wasn’t cleared until week 7. The team at that point has the option to bring him back or leave him on IR. The only stashing on IR that is a violation is if we find out he never had any type of injury to begin with.
Everyone saw the play and it was questioned at the time..... add in the fake jaw injury and it was a clear stash.... that is why they were so tight lipped with any updates/info

He went from Preseason star to persona non grata

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
You guys are funny...Makes perfect sense. Witten's waning years and not enough time to develop the long shot. Perfect excuse. Now, it's time to see what is the real deal. Either its there or its not. It's either Rico Suave or Rico Rut-Ro

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Witten and Hanna have retired, two of the other three TEs on the roster were late round picks or FA's, so why not just shut your mouth. Moron.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They broke no rule. You need to educate yourself on how IR works. It’s actually right here in this thread if you would bother to read through it.

Didn’t bother to read the whole thread. Thanks for the info! Still think he’s a waste of time though

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
When you find out how IR works, I think you may want to delete this post.

So you had to quote me twice to tell me the same thing? Why would I delete my post? So, I didn’t read the whole thing and thanked you for clarifying and acknowledged my error. I’m not above doing so. Jesus

hendog86

Reaction score
One thing to remember about Rico Gathers....... He has NOT played football since High School....this guy is a huge project.

Dude keeps running his mouth he may end up killing his career before it ever starts.....Internet Hero only at this point

High School to the NFL is a major Reach
Actually I think it was middle school IIRC.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Or maybe he's frustrated with coaches and their "process" and wants out. Not a stray thought among the receiving group in recent years.
Why? Witten is gone and the TE spot is wide open. Personally I don't think there is another team that has a position at TE that's so wide open...... Maybe chargers since they just lost Henry for the year. I expect Gates to resign though

Aven8

Reaction score
I stated this last season that we were stashing him. Put him on the PS and he gets swooped up by a team that would use him. Put him on the active roster and he doesn't play because of Witt.

That's why I will believe it when I see it with this staff using all these new toys we accumulated this offseason. The top 3 WR's will play 95% of the snaps coming out of TC and we won't see the rest of them until next offseason. We don't trust anyone, and are not imaginative enough to use anyone. Frustrating.

Number1

Reaction score
Rico seems to wants to play *now* and is tired of the politics of contracts, IRs, and the media.

Call it Dak friendly or post Witten ... or whatever but this off season more than shored up the OL and added a bunch of guys who get open quick and add RAC, that's the same reason they kept Rico.

This system needs a play making TE. It's gonna be hard to keep this kid off the field with a decent off season. For a guy 275+ he can get up field fast with quick hands to snatch the ball. In short, he's a mismatch and has to be accounted for. That can't be said of any of their other TE options.

if by the end of camp Rico and Dak sync ... it's on.